Hi UG

I'm getting a money present from my company, so I have decided to get some new pickups. I have got a Ibanez S320 and a Vox VT 30 / EHX Metal Muff

I'm really into metal - like slayer/metallica/disturbed - but I also like to play alot of other genre like CCR. So maybe some good passive pickups that are very versatile, but if that aint possible I would just buy another guitar for that kind of music.

Thanks in Advance

/JaX
EMG's
Gear:
ESP LTD EC-401FM STB
Ibanez AR307
Bugera Infinium 333XL
London City Bulldog
Line 6 Pod HD 300
Digitech Digiverb
Wishlist:
Pedalboard
duncans
JB in the bridge
'59 in the neck
then you're set

i put that combo in my eclipse
rocks harder now

EDIT: if you can fit them that is
CARPE DIEM

Quote by Butt Rayge
Hot chicks love it when you hit them.

If you don't hit them, you're weak.

GEAR:

ESP ECLIPSE-I
MARSHALL JCM2000 TSL601
DIGITECH RP250
Last edited by watto25 at Dec 11, 2009,
EMG all the way, fit an 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck, can't go wrong and they are versatile no matter what anyone says
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
Duncan JB/Jazz combo seems awfully popular when it comes to versatility.
Thank for all the replies, that was alot to take in. EMG 81/60 aint that active pickups? - heard it doesnt go well with SS amps.

btw I would be buying them from thomann, and I would like the pickus to cost no more than 1000 kr - 200 dollars.
Quote by fwibble
EMG all the way, fit an 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck, can't go wrong and they are versatile no matter what anyone says

You are so wrong.
Do not get EMG's, with your amp, and pedal, you will be far better taking a passive pickup over an active one. I don't really know what to recommend, but surely not actives.
Quote by JaX89dk

btw I would be buying them from thomann, and I would like the pickus to cost no more than 1000 kr - 200 dollars.

1000 kronor each or for the pair? That's a tad under 100 euros. The JB/Jazz pair goes for 125 euros at Thomann + delivery.
Quote by JaX89dk
Thank for all the replies, that was alot to take in. EMG 81/60 aint that active pickups? - heard it doesnt go well with SS amps.

It's not that actives don't go well with SS amps, it's that you won't get the full effect of them. Having said that, that will be the same for EVERY pickup, active or not, you won't get the pickup's full sound unless you use a tube amp.
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
Quote by fwibble
It's not that actives don't go well with SS amps, it's that you won't get the full effect of them. Having said that, that will be the same for EVERY pickup, active or not, you won't get the pickup's full sound unless you use a tube amp.

Then why even bother recommending him a specific pickup, that does not really go well with SS amps ? It's not that it doesn't go well just with SS amps, it doesn't go well with pedals, and 90% of tube amps. If he is not dead set on EMG's then they are not for him. Period.
Quote by r4ster
Then why even bother recommending him a specific pickup, that does not really go well with SS amps ? It's not that it doesn't go well just with SS amps, it doesn't go well with pedals, and 90% of tube amps. If he is not dead set on EMG's then they are not for him. Period.

If you'd read the rest of my post, I said "it's the same with EVERY pickup."

Plus he isn't dead set on anything, which is why he's asked us other users.
By using that logic no pickup is suitable for him
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
I know you listed the styles/genres that you like to play, but what exactly are you trying to change about your tone? Sustain? Harmonics? Output? Pickups will only help to shape your tone - if you're looking for a drastic change, an amp upgrade might be in order instead.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by JaX89dk
200 dollars for the pair - can raise it a little if its worth it.

Just realized that you're probably talking about Danish kronor, not Swedish. 200 dollars / 150 euros should be about enough for the JB/Jazz set. I don't think you can really go wrong with that one since you really wouldn't need ultra-hot super high gain pickups for the stuff you listed.
I'd actually stay away from Duncans myself if i were you. I've got the JB/Jazz set up that every one seems to bum, I however find them a bit flabby and lacking the bite that you need for properly heavy stuff. I'm getting bareknuckles in february.
To be honest you have a mahogany bodied Ibanez S series, with the right pickups in there to compliment the wood you can get pretty amazing tone (maybe not out of your current amp setup but in the future) so please ignore all EMG recommendations, as they will suffocate the lovely nasal sound of your mahogany, what kind of sound are you looking for specifically? Depends how you want to sound as to what you should get. If you want to counter balance the mahogany get some clearer pickups like a Dimarzio SD in the bridge. If you like it dark and doomy....... or mid rich, there are lots of others to choose from. Selecting pickups isnt as simple as "Get this pickup" because the interaction between pickup and tonewood and the rest of your gear means pickup x may be great for one person but crud for another!
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Buying from Thomann is very limiting. It rules out Bareknuckles (pricey but good) and Irongear (cheap but good) completely. Do they offer Wildes? They would really suit your stated styles and not be too restricted by the amp.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Chikarai
Dimarzio X2N

NO

Quote by watto25
duncans
JB in the bridge
'59 in the neck

Consider this. This is a good plan, but demo a Jackson with these in first.

If you want more distortion put the Duncan Distortion (SH6) in the bridge instead.
Quote by Talentless
To be honest you have a mahogany bodied Ibanez S series, with the right pickups in there to compliment the wood you can get pretty amazing tone (maybe not out of your current amp setup but in the future) so please ignore all EMG recommendations, as they will suffocate the lovely nasal sound of your mahogany, what kind of sound are you looking for specifically? Depends how you want to sound as to what you should get. If you want to counter balance the mahogany get some clearer pickups like a Dimarzio SD in the bridge. If you like it dark and doomy....... or mid rich, there are lots of others to choose from. Selecting pickups isnt as simple as "Get this pickup" because the interaction between pickup and tonewood and the rest of your gear means pickup x may be great for one person but crud for another!

^^^ What he said.
I had an S470 with a DiMarzio SD (super distortion) in the bridge. Sounded amazing, very versatile pickup.
Plus, EMG's and Ibby S's aren't best freinds. I still can't figure out how to fit a battery into mine without routing. Even though I've heard there is a way.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I get a pretty good sound from my current setup, but I dunno if it will improve alot with some new pickups. Maybe I should just save my money and get a tube amp instead. But I really have to go up to the store, and try some guitars with the pickups that you are recommending before I can really make a choice.

Thanks for the help
get irongear pickups, only 25 pounds per pickup but very good sounding

neck - rolling mills
bridge - hot slag or steamhammer
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
If you've got the money get some Bareknuckles.

Don't listen to people that say that all guitars with EMGs sound the same. That is sooo not true. EMGs are teh sex if you've got a decent tube amp and the right settings!
Quote by biga29
Plus, EMG's and Ibby S's aren't best freinds. I still can't figure out how to fit a battery into mine without routing. Even though I've heard there is a way.

If you manage to make a little barrel type thing so the socket can petrude from the body a little and doesnt go as deep inside the body you can get a battery in there, i had EMG's in my S series before i had the bareknuckles and thats how i did it

Also regarding EMG's and tube amps, i had EMG's and check my sig for my amp etc, and they still left me feeling wanting. The bareknuckles are on a whole other level, and now my guitar wails, moans and growls rather than just making a scooped buzzing noise
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Talentless
If you manage to make a little barrel type thing so the socket can petrude from the body a little and doesnt go as deep inside the body you can get a battery in there, i had EMG's in my S series before i had the bareknuckles and thats how i did it

Also regarding EMG's and tube amps, i had EMG's and check my sig for my amp etc, and they still left me feeling wanting. The bareknuckles are on a whole other level, and now my guitar wails, moans and growls rather than just making a scooped buzzing noise

I totally agree with you on the bareknuckles - those pups are from hell. But EMGs can sound like HOLY-FUUUU!!!!one!1! if you get the settings on your amp right. And should I mention that they are the best pups for shredding on the hot/clean ratio.