I've currently got my Tanglewood acoustic set up in B tuning (B E A D F# B), and I've been recently drafted into an acoustic band at uni. The problem is, they all play in standard tuning (obviously) and whenever I put my capo on the 5th fret, it puts the strings out of tune - are there any decent capos out there that I can put on and take off without having to re-tune my acoustic every time?
Maybe it's the guitar, not the capo. The tuning pegs might be slipping slightly when you put the capo on.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

9 times out of 10, that's the guitar's problem and not the capo's. granted, there are crappy capos out there, but you can still get them on right without bending the strings.
Well... a lot of the capos tend to press too hard, making everything go sharp. You could try a Shubb capo, which has the adjustable tension. It gives you control so that you'll be able to keep your guitar in tune. A G7 Capo may also be a good option, although it's expensive. It also gives you control over the tension, but is easier to put on. Be prepared to dish out $50USD for a G7 though.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by GC Shred Off
My Kyser capos have worked flawlessly for years.

And are also notorious for the Detuning Grip of Death.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
I like Kyser capos too. My family gives me shit but they seem to work for me. Did you try just fretting the notes there that go sour. Your intonation might be off
I do sure love me them Gibsons boy
How bout tune your guitar....what are we looking at here 5 min....problem solved!
Quote by i_don't_know
And are also notorious for the Detuning Grip of Death.

Never had a problem with the three I own.
Quote by kmyers18
How bout tune your guitar....what are we looking at here 5 min....problem solved!

More like 10 seconds. But it does get annoying.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
Hows the intonation on the guitar? tune the guitar, using open strings, and then check how they match up to the 12th fret and see if its exactly the same. My acoustic is fine when I use a capo. I use the dunlop trigger capo for like $12
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
If you're playing with your strings that low, you should make sure your guitar is setup for that kind of stuff (ie, special setup, high gauge strings, etc.) But if you're putting the capo on and it goes out of tune, then tune it with the capo on. And make sure your guitar is setup to normally handle that tuning you're in.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by Dix_Fix

I can haz?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Yeah, I've heard good things about the G7th capo, but be prepared to pay a hefty price (capo-wise) for it...okay, so maybe it's only around $50 (I think?), but still, quite a bit for a capo.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
mine cost $76 AUD & I own 3 of them 2 x steel string & 1 for 12 string or nylon. I have a mirriad of capos but the G7th are out there by themselves as far as ease of use. I can capo at say the 5th fret then as you are playing you can actually re capo to like the 3rd fret (with a lot of practice) It isnt as simple as im making it sound but can be done.

Here are some of my other capos

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Dec 12, 2009,