If they are the kind I'm thinking of, they sound REALLY good. They seem to pop up frequently at reasonable prices. Why? Is there something about them to be wary of?
There just really isn't that much demand for bassman heads, typically vintage dudes buy marshalls and supros/ other boutique brands. Bass players rarely have heard about bassmans from the ones I talk to. Showmans are more heard of and people will pay higher for them.

Basically you pay for how much a vintage amp is being talked about by the pop market, not by how good it actually sounds to people who know what they're doing.
^That and they changed A LOT over the years. I have a 1975 Bassman, and though I love it, it is not very similar to the famed 1960s Bassmans. If it were a 1985 it would be even less similar. So the 'cheap bassmans' you are looking at are probably not as good as you might think. I did, however, recently see a $550 1968 Bassman, which is a steal, but see below.

The other thing is most of the ones you can snag off of ebay or craigslist will need some work before they are operational. I got my head for $200, but had to immediately spend $400 on techwork.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Dec 11, 2009,
I see. I figured as much. So there shouldn't be any trouble more unreasonable than typical old gear risk? I shall tuck this information away...
Quote by sg4ever
I see. I figured as much. So there shouldn't be any trouble more unreasonable than typical old gear risk? I shall tuck this information away...

Ya there's always a risk buying used, vintage gear. My rule when I bought it was if it played at all, I figured it was worth $200. Unfortunately I should have taken it to a tech before powering up because I fried a few things when I first cranked it. At $600 for the head, I am very happy though. It is a 6L6 workhorse to say the least.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Then you can be a lucky S.O.B. like me and get a '74 Bassman head in perfect working order for absolutely free.
I have a 1967 Bassman head that sounds like ****ing butter. Oh my god it is sweet.
I think it was the last year they made blackfaces before CBS bought Fender out. But I got mine for like $1000. I'm not unhappy though, since it is a blackface, which is what I wanted.