Ive been playing bass for a year now. i got my bass at a pawn shop for $175. its a p-bass clone by a brand called Johnson its beautiful and sounds good and all that. the strange thing is the emg pickups. its got two and these are about 225 a pair last i checked. the guitar was brand new at the pawn shop when i bought it(still had plastic on the pickups and pickguard) this kick ass but it has the guitar brand right next to emg stamped on the pickups. does this ever happen to anyone else? im not complaining but it is really weird
This has never happened to me, but I have had quality stock pickups on badly made guitars.

I've put expensive pickups on cheap guitars too! I had a set of Fender Texas Specials on Squier, and it was fantastic!
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunatly, it kills all of its pupils.
Quote by saberrocks
Could be a licensed EMG, just like the Floyds.

Yeah, not everything with EMG stamped on it runs 225 a pair by any means.

OR are do you specifically know the pickup models TS? If that's the case, then I can't relate a similar experience but I'll take the time to congratulate you
Quote by saberrocks
Could be a licensed EMG, just like the Floyds.
+1, just like the emg "selects" made as a cheaper alternative to the real EMG-HZ, supposedly specced the same..I could never tell a difference between emg-hz and emg selects that I have on my units.

Quote by amimbari
+1, just like the emg "selects" made as a cheaper alternative to the real EMG-HZ, supposedly specced the same..I could never tell a difference between emg-hz and emg selects that I have on my units.

*pic*

Yeah I have some duncan designed guitar pickup that to me sounds just like the sh-4 it emulates; you can get great values that way.

That said I think the duncan designed pickups on my vintage modified jazz left something to be desired, so I changed them out--still that might just be the style more than a lack of quality as a lot of folks seem to really like them.
the bass is rad and stuff but the pickups were brand new and have a really rad sound even though im still just on a crate bx-15 practice amp. the guitar has a lot of sustain but i need to figure out how to change the action on my top string
emg selects are the cheapest pickup that emg ever made. you can find them on ebay for like 30 brand new each.

they dont sound horrible tho better then some stock pickups like squier brand or cheap ibanez/yamaha basses

those ones are passive pickups btw
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
emg selects are the cheapest pickup that emg ever made. you can find them on ebay for like 30 brand new each.

they dont sound horrible tho better then some stock pickups like squier brand or cheap ibanez/yamaha basses

those ones are passive pickups btw[/QUOTE
i didnt say they were active but i still would like to know what kind of retarded pawn owner sells guitars with sweet ass pickups like these for $175. they may be selects like you say they really dont seem cheap.
Quote by amimbari

They both sound like shit either way