Some of you have noticed or commented in a few of my threads I have made concerning obtaining my first bass. After being on the computer nonstop for the past 2 weeks or so reseaching guitars and how they work, I think i've narrowed my search to a few bass guitars. I will be going to Guitar Center and some other local shops this weekend to try them out and hopefully make my pick (even if I don't buy).

So I know it's a sin here to simply ask "what guitar should I get" and it's the favored answer to say "it's all in opinion". But I would still like some help, so i'm going to give some info. Here are my choices in no particular order.

1) ESP LTD B-105

2) Peavey Millenium BXP 5-string (the brown Tiger Eye)

3) Epiphone Thunderbird IV (Vintage Sunburst)

4) Peavey Zodiac 4-string (Black)

5) Squier Vintage Modified P-bass

What do you all think? Which of these do you think would work for an athletic (I say this because I hear the T-bird IV is a bit heavy) nimble-handed 17 year old with hands on the smaller side (not stubby, just thin and short)? I don't have a ton of money to spend as it will be a stretch getting this and the amp, so if any of these are of poor quality, it would be nice to know so I don't have to spend more cash on repairs. Because I can't practice in the store for 6 months to see if a piece falls off.

Thanks.
Quote by COBHC1
I lol'd

First lol row
Quote by bloodtrocuted93
They will be twin boys named God and Satan and I will make them fight each other.

http://www.virtual-bubblewrap.com/index.shtml
Quote by sg255
If I cross the street to get away from them, then it's a latino.
Last edited by FrankieHCO at Dec 11, 2009,
The p-bass beats everything else on that list go for it. If I were you I'd go find a used MiM P bass though, you can easily get one on craigslist for $250 it will be a step up from the squier (which is still good) for less money.

And please watch the use of "base" on this forum
I say go for the Millennium bass, I think it's great. Better than anything on this list. Especially in that brown tiger eye. Omnomnom.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunatly, it kills all of its pupils.
Yay! You are finally getting to
Quote by FrankieHCO
first base
!
Listen to my songs on my profile pretty please

Quote by SamhainGrim
I wish a had a vagina to go with my penis...:[
Quote by dullsilver_mike
The p-bass beats everything else on that list go for it. If I were you I'd go find a used MiM P bass though, you can easily get one on craigslist for $250 it will be a step up from the squier (which is still good) for less money.

And please watch the use of "base" on this forum

I don't know if I want to go onto Craigslist. Like, I wouldn't pass up an amazing deal from someone who's maybe just cleaning out a basement, but i'd rather buy new and be able to see it. Plus, i'll be using my debit card, so I won't be carrying cash on me and I don't have any money in my paypal account to make online transactions.

And sorry, i'm fully aware it's not "base". Just a slip up
Quote by COBHC1
I lol'd

First lol row
Quote by bloodtrocuted93
They will be twin boys named God and Satan and I will make them fight each other.

Quote by sg255
Quote by Xeus
i wouldnt recommend the thunderbird. my friend has one, it plays quite nice but the weighting on it is a bit messed up

Yea, I hear that it neck dives a bit. So is the neck a bit too bulky or is it just a heavy wood. If it's heavy, I may just try to cope, but if it's too big for my hands then i'll shy away from it. It's a shame though, I was kind of partial to it.
Quote by COBHC1
I lol'd

First lol row
Quote by bloodtrocuted93

Quote by sg255
Quote by richard_edwards
I say go for the Millennium bass, I think it's great. Better than anything on this list. Especially in that brown tiger eye. Omnomnom.

My only negative view on this one is that it doesn't have a pickguard. I don't know if it's all that important, but I thought it would be better to have one.
Quote by COBHC1
I lol'd

First lol row
Quote by bloodtrocuted93

Quote by sg255
^ having a pickguard really doesn't make that much of a difference.

Go for either the Squier or either of the Peaveys, but of the two Peavey's, particularly the millennium. Absolutely fantastic basses, and all 3 of them kick the crap out of the thunderbird. the LTD ok, but I think you'll be better off with a Squier VM or a Peavey
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by FrankieHCO
I don't know if I want to go onto Craigslist. Like, I wouldn't pass up an amazing deal from someone who's maybe just cleaning out a basement, but i'd rather buy new and be able to see it. Plus, i'll be using my debit card, so I won't be carrying cash on me and I don't have any money in my paypal account to make online transactions.

And sorry, i'm fully aware it's not "base". Just a slip up

..the joy of craigslist is that it's local, so you get to go see it it person before you decide if you want to buy it; that's even better than "seeing" a bass online Just take that debit card to an ATM machine on the way.
I'm gonna second the Craigslist suggestion. Lot of great deals around.
A pickguard really isn't a necessity. The Millennium is an absolute workhorse of a bass- mine's in pieces at the moment (all me, nothing to do with the bass), but when it was all together, I would still use it in a live situation even though I have a custom Warwick. It's fantastic.
I would highly suggest the ESP B-105. I play a B-206, and I love it to death. I'm sure you'll love it.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
I on the other hand will (shockingly) say don't get the LTD. I love what ESP puts out, but their low end products just aren't worth it. I say in a year or two as you get better and you still like them, buy a mid range ESP and like 6String said you'll probably love it but until then my vote for you sir is the Squier, though I personally say you go with the VM Jazz bass, I think you'll find it to be more versatile than a P. Wow that was a terrible run-on sentence, meh oh well
Thunder is right, I was thinking the ESP B-155 not the 105. I would say the squire in that case. Although the ESP brands are excellent once your out of the 100 and under series. the 200's and on are great.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
I don't see much of a difference between the 105 and the 155 besides a slighty bigger nut. What's making it $50 more expensive?
Quote by COBHC1
I lol'd

First lol row
Quote by bloodtrocuted93

Quote by sg255
Quote by FrankieHCO
I don't see much of a difference between the 105 and the 155 besides a slighty bigger nut. What's making it $50 more expensive?
The 155 has a flamed maple top and another band of EQ. That's pretty much it.
Last edited by Steve08 at Dec 12, 2009,
If it were me, I would get the Squier.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
I'd suggest the Peavey.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Peavey or Squier, both rock.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by ozzyismetal
If it were me, I would get the Squier.

I held about 3, maybe 4 Squiers and it just didn't fit for me, they all felt unbalanced in my lap. I don't think it's my kind of bass.
Quote by COBHC1
I lol'd

First lol row
Quote by bloodtrocuted93

Quote by sg255
To the guys leaning towards the Peavey's, they didn't have any

But now that I think about it, if they don't have one out on the floor, can you ask if they have on in the back room?
Quote by COBHC1
I lol'd

First lol row
Quote by bloodtrocuted93

Quote by sg255
Quote by FrankieHCO
I held about 3, maybe 4 Squiers and it just didn't fit for me, they all felt unbalanced in my lap. I don't think it's my kind of bass.

Obviously, you have to go with what feels good to you; that's more important than any forum hype, but try the squiers and the thunderbird youmentioned earlier again standing up with a strap (since that's how you'd actually be playing them about 99% of the time). Chances are good that you're conclusions will completely flip flop in terms of balance.

Your preference might not change, and that's fine, go with what you like, but doing your test run in a sitting position is not the way to check for good feel and balance.

Quote by FrankieHCO
To the guys leaning towards the Peavey's, they didn't have any

But now that I think about it, if they don't have one out on the floor, can you ask if they have on in the back room?

You can ask for anything, worse thing they can do is say no. They probably don't have one in the back, but it sure can't hurt to ask. DO they carry peavey amps? Those are really common, so if the store has none they probably don't carry peavey products at all.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Dec 13, 2009,