Page 1 of 2
hey ug,

so i wont an amp with an amazing amount of gain, i really like the krankenstein +(dimes amp) but the 5150 is ALOT cheaper
anyone give me any advice on what to go for?

oh and anyone know what cabs go well with 'em>????

thanks =]
Though choice, both great amps.

But in my opinion the Krank has just that litte extra oomph and sounds just little bit more brutal.
What bands have a similar tone to what you're after?
Why only those two amps?
Whats your overall budget (for both a head and cab)?
Are you willing to buy used?
What other gear do you have?

Personally out of those two I would go with the Krank because I'm not a very big fan of 5150s/6505s and I do like teh Krankz.
I have owned both, and I personally Like the krank better, but a modded 6505, can blow it out of the water, I am curently a fan of the buggera 6260 I find it is just as good as those two amps for way cheaper and its easy to switch the tubes to two different kinds
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
Quote by Banana Wedgie
I'd personally go for the 6505/5150, because I've never heard of anybody sounding good with a Krank...

Except live, there they blow me away, but regardless.

+1

Go with a 6505/5150. They are so much cheaper than Krank's and their sound is arguably better (IMO). Plus if you want to add or remove something tonally you can always have it FJA-modded.
are you opposed to buying used?
Pissing people off since 1987

ESP/LTD MH 401 Stop tail
ESP/LTD MH 401 Floyd Rose
IBANEZ AM93 TKS
Rivera KnuckleHead Reverb
ISP Decimator
MXR KFK-1 10 Band EQ
Quote by )(yperX
+1

Go with a 6505/5150. They are so much cheaper than Krank's and their sound is arguably better (IMO). Plus if you want to add or remove something tonally you can always have it FJA-modded.

If you know how to properly work an EQ section in conjunction with the "sweep" knob found on Krank amps you can make a Krank sound better than a lot of amps on the market.
anyone like the randall rg100?

dont go with this amp it sounds pretty good on paper untill you play it

ESP/LTD MH 401 Stop tail
IBANEZ AM93 TKS
ISP Decimator
MXR KFK-1 10 Band EQ
i just want something with uber gain, dime was know for his crushing tone and gain, i wont an amp that can pull of the breakdown to domination with ease. something what can dodle amazingly heavy songs, not really botherd about the clean's, willing to buy second hand, but prefer new, budget around $800-900 but maybe i could stretch to 1000 p.s i live in the uk
Quote by arthurt420
anyone like the randall rg100?

dont go with this amp it sounds pretty good on paper untill you play it

Don't listen to this guy.

Randall's SS amps are some of the best SS amps on the market (imo), especially if you're into metal.
man when i was playing that randall the gain stages just didnt cut it... it it definatley one of the best SS amps ive owned but it just didnt cut it

ESP/LTD MH 401 Stop tail
IBANEZ AM93 TKS
ISP Decimator
MXR KFK-1 10 Band EQ
Quote by 1jack369
something what can dodle amazingly heavy songs, not really botherd about the clean

6505, regular. It has a clean channel but does not have a seperate EQ. Or the 5150 might be good if you haven't got enough.

Alternativley, the XXX (which I am prepared to kill over) is amazingly good and cheap(ish) used, and it features the clean channel and a lead channel, which you don't need?

The 6505/5150 really will be best for you though.
Quote by arthurt420
man when i was playing that randall the gain stages just didnt cut it... it it definatley one of the best SS amps ive owned but it just didnt cut it

I wasn't trying to belittle you or anything - I'm just a big fan of Randall's SS amps.
no im not sayin that either . trust me i hold randall in very high regard they were all i played untill i stumbled upon rivera... it just the rg series of randall amps just arent very good... but that being said i was very pleased with my rg50tc ... maybe give that amp a look

ESP/LTD MH 401 Stop tail
IBANEZ AM93 TKS
ISP Decimator
MXR KFK-1 10 Band EQ
Quote by Banana Wedgie
The 6505/5150 really will be best for you though.

I really don't think so. I rarely recommend a 5150/6505 to anyone just because it really isn't that great of an amp imo. I'd personally take an Ampeg VH140c (yea, a cheap SS) over a 5150 any day of the week.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I'd personally take an Ampeg VH140c (yea, a cheap SS) over a 5150 any day of the week.

I would too, but you haven't taken much effort in trying to make me look dumb.

Why?

Because they are rarer than gold dust at the bottom of your spag boll, in the UK.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
I would too, but you haven't taken much effort in trying to make me look dumb.

Why?

Because they are rarer than gold dust at the bottom of your spag boll, in the UK.

Wait... what??

If you're referring to VH140c's there are a bazillion of them on the used market.

However, I'm not out to make you look dumb. I'm just out to share my opinion.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
If you're referring to VH140c's there are a bazillion of them on the used market.

I've never seen one, ever, in the UK.

I'd like to think there is
Quote by i_am_metalhead
bazillions
of them, because if there was I'd own three.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
I've never seen one, ever, in the UK.

I'd like to think there is of them, because if there was I'd own three.

Yes, I made up a number. However, they are very easily found here in the US.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Yes, I made up a number. However, they are very easily found here in the US.

Well, this kids in the UK too so don't make US jealous!

I am so moving to the US, there is easy Ampegs, cheap Rivera amps, Vader cabs, man....

HEAVEN IS CAPITALIST!
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Well, this kids in the UK too so don't make US jealous!

I am so moving to the US, there is easy Ampegs, cheap Rivera amps, Vader cabs, man....

HEAVEN IS CAPITALIST!

Oh... Well I'm a bit intoxicated at the moment so I didn't know where the TS is from lol.

However, I'd still recommend a Krank over a 5150/6505 - just my personal opinion.
Vh140c heads are not easily found. The combos are still not commonplace.
Krankenstein sucks on nuts. The rev + or just rev is better
A modded 6505 is a beast, even with just the bias mod.
There, that's cleared up....
I suggest a Randall rg50 or a Roland jc and an uber metal
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
uber metal + Jc? ......

anyways, I do like the Krank, but XXX its a better amp overall, but If you like dime, get the krank, but dont spects loads of versatility or differents metal and rock sounds, so grab some pedals too
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Holy-Diver
Vh140c heads are not easily found. The combos are still not commonplace.
Krankenstein sucks on nuts. The rev + or just rev is better
A modded 6505 is a beast, even with just the bias mod.
There, that's cleared up....
I suggest a Randall rg50 or a Roland jc and an uber metal

This guy is clever. Listen to his preachings.
Yes he wants dime tones. =uber metal and a clean amp.
And the kstein has good cleans. The xxx probably won't deliver the tones you want.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
it sounds like you want dimes tone, so i'd go with the krank
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
If your in the UK a mesa cab might be rediculously priced. And the oversize recto cab can get woofy in a hurry.
In either case, a krank rev is still better than the kstein
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
If your in the UK a mesa cab might be rediculously priced. And the oversize recto cab can get woofy in a hurry.
In either case, a krank rev is still better than the kstein

I haven't seen a Krank on sale in the UK, have you?
I guess the Warhead was used by decapitated, I'm not sure on which album but I think it would be super-uber tight. Never played one though.

The 5150/6505 is a classic DM amplifier, but everyone and their mom uses them. Try them both man, they are both stellar amps.

credit:

Quote by i_am_metalhead
I really don't think so. I rarely recommend a 5150/6505 to anyone just because it really isn't that great of an amp imo. I'd personally take an Ampeg VH140c (yea, a cheap SS) over a 5150 any day of the week.
Well that makes me feel fairly good dude. See, I was thinking that I wished I had a 5150 instead of my Ampeg. But I do like that amp, it can throw out that Suffocation tone like nuts.

And since when is it a cheap SS? I mean, its no Engl, but a damn nice amp for the price!

The only difference in the VH and the SS is the power section, right? Too bad I don't have a 50:50 mesa...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Dec 11, 2009,
Quote by Adrian89
uber metal + Jc? ......

anyways, I do like the Krank, but XXX its a better amp overall, but If you like dime, get the krank, but dont spects loads of versatility or differents metal and rock sounds, so grab some pedals too

XXX ****ing sucks at times compared to both of those amps
Quote by Banana Wedgie
If he changes his DIMEBAG LOVE, he'd be seriously screwed then, wouldn't he?

but what if he doesn`t LOL

i`m a die hard Kerry King fan, have been for 12 years, i was a Kirk Hammet fan till i saw King play in the "seasons in the abyss" video, since that day i was hooked.

i don`t see my tastes changing for ALOOOONG time.

so this kid might be a dime fan for along time, even if he changes his mind a year or 2 down the road, if he buys used, he`ll get what he paid if he sells it.

now that thats outta the way.. Dime rules, wish he and king coulda did that album togher, woulda been INSANE. but i`m not a fan of kranks, only dime can make them sound good, i played one once, had dimes pic on it. it sucked, to me.
Page 1 of 2