Hi, I have an Ibanez from the RG series and it has a Floyd Rose on it. I have tried tuning to drop C, but everytime I do, I can get it there but when i try to play a string it's like the string is completely dead and won't make the correct sound. Is it possible to play in drop C with a Floyd Rose and if so how?
What gauge strings are they. Is your action to low?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Right now I'm using pretty thin strings, I thought about putting on fatter ones. What gauge would you suggest? I'm not too sure if my action is low or not.
Quote by AWPtic
Hi, I have an Ibanez from the RG series and it has a Floyd Rose

Well may I corret you on one thing? It really isn't a floyd rose. Ibanez haven't put one of them on in years. Which is the specific Ibanez bridge you have there?
you may need to have it tuned professionally. when it comes to floyds the springs within the body holding the bridge in place need to be set at specific tensions for certain tuned strings. if you want to change the tuning of your guitar, you need to change the spring tension.
www.facebook.com/allbutimpossible

Live Arsenal

Guitars
ESP EC1000 FR
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
ESP H1000 Deluxe
Ibanez RG7321

Amp
Line 6 Valve HD 100 Head
Line 6 Spider Valve 412VS 412 Cab

Misc
Shure PGX14 Wireless
Korg DTR-1000
I bet its the Edge 2 trem, or 3 or whatever the hell they call them, but I would try a step up in guage string, or you just might have old strings, but DR makes some nice strings that work great with double locking trems and are great for drop tuned metal, but suck at cleans, way too bassy for my tastes.
you have an edge three, or at least some kind of edge, that's what I have. because its floating and has no locking mechanism, tuning to something other than standard (or whatever it was set up for) would mean you would have to reset the tension on your springs. I bought a "tremel-no" to lock mind to let me change tuning, or you can look into other ways to lock it (like sticking a small piece of wood under the bridge so it can't move.
The reason the strings sound so bad is that the springs are trying to find balance again and as you tune on string you are throwing all the others out of tune. In fact, going all the way down to drop C might even be making the bridge flatten out.
That's the issue I had, sounds about the same.
I hope this helps, GL
Ok, thanks everyone. Also, idk which type of bridge it is, whatever comes on the RG5EX1 is it.
Try some thicker strings. Anywhere from 11-48 to 12-56 will work.

You will also need to re-setup the bridge.

This is how you tune.
Quote by biga29

Now for tuning/adjusting. Tune the Low C to an C, then adjust the bridge (tighten or loosen the springs in the back.) until the bridge is parallel with the body. (Ignore the other strings now.) When you adjust the bridge, the Low C will go slightly out of tune. Re tune it back to an E, and then adjust the bridge to parallel again. Keep re-tuning/adjusting until the bridge remains parallel, and the string stays in tune.

Repeat this part with all the other strings, until each string is in tune, and the bridge remains parallel to the body.

Hope this helps.

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Thanks for the help. I have one final question. If I do setup my guitar n all that stuff, will I still be able to change back to standard tuning and, if so, will it sound fine?
Quote by AWPtic
Thanks for the help. I have one final question. If I do setup my guitar n all that stuff, will I still be able to change back to standard tuning and, if so, will it sound fine?

If anything, if you do it right, it should make it EASIER!
Quote by AWPtic

Yes, but each time you change tunings, you will have to re-setup the bridge for that particualr tuning.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
i just retuned my FR to drop c a few days ago. u need a higher gauge of strings. my action is pretty high too. i get a nice sound too. what string gauge u using?
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Quote by flanders_91
i just retuned my FR to drop c a few days ago. u need a higher gauge of strings. my action is pretty high too. i get a nice sound too. what string gauge u using?

Need is a naughty word here on UG friend. It is as if saying you must, you cannot unless...

You can, just its not the same.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Need is a naughty word here on UG friend. It is as if saying you must, you cannot unless...

Sometimes you do need a higher gauge, or it'll sound all floppy. Try tuning to Drop Bb with 8's and see what happens...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by Banana Wedgie

well yea but like 9's will be floppy. higher gauge=increased tension, drop tuning=decreased tension. see, it evens out. higher gauge is just much more preferred. i have Ernie Ball skinny-top heavy-bottom on my c-1 fr (.10-.52). probably could use a slightly higher gauge but these are good...
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Quote by flanders_91
well yea but like 9's will be floppy. higher gauge=increased tension, drop tuning=decreased tension. see, it evens out.

Yeh I know... I'm basically saying...

Quote by Banana Wedgie
Your right, but wrong. You can do it with thinner strings, just its floppy.
Last edited by Banana Wedgie at Dec 11, 2009,