Hi

I'm now looking for the ULTIMATE modern metal distortion pedal, crushing gain, 3 band EQ, note clarity, TIGHT AS F**K LOW END, NO flub whatsoever, THICK tone, ability to handle drop tunings/7 string guitars well, no metal muffs/metalzones please...
I'm not looking for "amp in a box" tones.
I know "nothing beats amp distortion" and all that but I'm a pedal maniac.

I went through the gear for metal thread and it's quite impressive, but I didn't find anything that exactly matches my description.

I prefer handbuilt pedals, partly because of the personal level of customer support they offer...aside from the kickass quality.
Budget isn't really an issue, but for now keep it to $250 US

I'm considering pedals like the Emma PisdiYAUwot that's just been released, I'm in love with the demos. Or a Menatone None More Black, or a ToneCzar Openhaus or a G2D Morpheus or something in that range. ZVex Box of Metal is cool but I'm looking for other options.

I changed my amp, got this one free
Its an SS amp(DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT FLAMING) that responds BEAUTIFULLY to pedals, I was pleasantly surprised.
Any ideas/suggestions?

I'm being very specific about my target tone, please help me out.
Thanks!!

PS: And please, PLEASE NO MARSHALL MG JOKES
Last edited by gus_santiago11 at Dec 11, 2009,
Well the AMT pedals don't even touch the Emma (from the samlpes), they aren't even remotely close in terms of tone thickness, plus they have a 2 band EQ...

EDIT: The amp is realy old and the logo has worn off so I don't know...its tube preamp/SS poweramp and takes pedal like WOW...
Last edited by gus_santiago11 at Dec 11, 2009,
Marshall mg?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Tbh I don't know much about pedals at all, I heard that the ht-5 pedal was good not sure though......

If you're in love with the Emma, I'd say go for it....
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Well the problem is that I'm confused between all those pedals I mentioned...they're ALL killer pedals...
Quote by gus_santiago11

PS: And please, PLEASE NO MARSHALL MG JOKES

Damn

That was the first thing that entered my mind when I came in herrrrrrrre

crushinnnnnnnng
I've exposed your lies, Mr. Citizen Erased. This will give me all the peace and joy in the world. The truth will unwind and scrape away because I don't love you and never did - so please:

...I'm a cool kid.
You can listen to alot of samples. It may give you an indication of its tone. But with your guitar, amp, settings etc might be completely different. Since you arent gonna be able to try most botique pedals at a store w your amp and guitar its gonna be buy something and try it kind of thing.
Marshall MG, the pinch harmonics are included for free

Seriously though, you looking for new only? Sounds like to me you want something for like death metal? You could check out the Boss HM-2 but if you do find the Made in Japan version. This pedal is somewhat highly regarded in the heavy metal/death metal community I've heard and has an EQ section. Of course it is no longer made so Ebay would be your only option. Its definitely worth checking into.

Edit:

To add to this, you won't get a crushing sound just from a pedal alone, you amp and also just as importantly your speaker (size and the number of) will have as much to do with that. If you're running it into a small amp all I'll say is it won't happen. It has more to do with volume and pushing air rather then how much 'distortion' a certain pedal has.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Dec 11, 2009,
Quote by DSOTM80
Marshall MG, the pinch harmonics are included for free

Seriously though, you looking for new only? Sounds like to me you want something for like death metal? You could check out the Boss HM-2 but if you do find the Made in Japan version. This pedal is somewhat highly regarded in the heavy metal/death metal community I've heard and has an EQ section. Of course it is no longer made so Ebay would be your only option. Its definitely worth checking into.

PS this is NOTHING LIKE THE SHITTY MT-2

its muy better
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
^^ yes you're right, hope people don't get the HM-2 confused and think its like like the MT-2, which its not. Its the predecessor but tons better. MT-2 is bleh to my ears.
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Dec 11, 2009,
The HM-2 is actually a lot fuzzier than the MT-2. It's just because people know the HM-2 has a better reputation that it sounds better to them. They're both good pedals for Death Metal. MT-2 usually sucks because people try to use it for Metallica type shit and it sounds too buzzsaw like for that. For Death Metal you want that buzzsaw sound.
I'm pretty sure Opeth's Orchid and Morningrise were just like HM-2 + JCM800...

But that doesn't really mean much, honestly. And the MT-2 is actually kind of a cool pedal, but it doesn't really give the sounds anyone actually wants for death metal...buzzsaw is not death metal.

And sorry but as for boutique high gains, I've never even considered them.

I love Barber pedals and have heard good things about the Dirty Bomb, even though I have no experience, but I'm not sure just how brutal those things get.
-Mike
Last edited by HopePoisoned at Dec 11, 2009,
I'm pretty sure Opeth's Orchid and Morningrise were just like HM-2 + JCM800...

Really? I love Orchid.

buzzsaw is not death metal.

Actually it kind of is, Swedish Death Metal anyway.
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Dec 11, 2009,
Monte Allums modded MT-2.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Hardwire TL-2?
Tech 21 SansAmp GT-2?
Mesa/Boogie V-Twin?
Dr. Boogie?
Dual Resistafier?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
have you heard of the landmine? supposed to be plenty brutal. youtube it, i've never tried it.. or even seen it personally.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
The population of n00bs on these forums is currently going up at an exponential rate(Not you TS, but there have been quite a few n00bish replies lately.)

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
Quote by pokeatthedevil
The population of n00bs on these forums is currently going up at an exponential rate(Not you TS, but there have been quite a few n00bish replies lately.)

...and you're helping the OP how exactly with this post? please remind me, I must of missed it.
Wampler Triple Wreck Distortion

/thread
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty

/thread

\thread

+1

/thread

The Triple Wreck, it will destroy your testicles
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
that post made the pedal you're looking for sound like an INCREDIBLE douche bag. take a look at that new rammstein signature pedal
Blackstar HT-DISTX, I heard a clip of it boosted and it was incredible.
Believe me, the dirty bomb can get REALLY brutal...Check out the clips by this guy called Vopilov on Youtube.

And I don't think the HM2 will do it for you, That's an OLD SCHOOL death metal tone and my guess is you're gunning for a MODERN death metal tone...The EMMA sounds damn good.
The Triple Wreck is a Triple Rectifier in a box(DUH..) and somehow rec style tones don't do it for me, and they're sure as hell not TIGHT, they have a loose-ish low end that makes them sound massive. Openhaus is nice, but again rectifier-esqe. The Morpheus doesn't have a 3band EQ you're looking for. Try the techniguitare.com Diefet (supposed to sound like Diezel amps) there's a nice vid on youtube. It's a DIY project though.
You might also want to consider the Humphrey Audio modded MT2 that sounds like Diezel amps or a Soldano SLO, but again that is HIGHLY amp dependent. But I haven't heard any soundclips so I won't comment.
You're absolutely right about the fact that AMTs and Keeleys and Analogmans and Monte Allums don't even come close, they just make stock pedals sound really cool but nowhere near the high end boutique league.
MI Audio Tube Zone is supposed to sound like a Mark 4, and yes it gets pretty brutal!!
How did you not like the Blackstar? Spend more time TWEAKING IT...
Try Damage Control Solid Metal or HBE Doomsday Device(Exodus' Gary Holt pedal).

Have I given you enough options?
At the end of the day it's YOUR satisfaction that matters, TRUST YOUR EAR.
If I were you I'd go EMMA, but it's your call. Listen to clips, TRY THEM PERSONALLY if possible.

Hope I helped!!

PS: even the stock MT2 is quite usable for oldschool death metal, listen to The Jester Race by In Flames...
Last edited by TubeAmp89 at Dec 12, 2009,
Quote by Banana Wedgie
You mean its a teabag?

I'm fairly sure that theres a reference i'm not getting.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Replace the MG before you get a pedal..

And that's not a joke...
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by SOADriff
Replace the MG before you get a pedal..

And that's not a joke...

Reread IP.
He has a good SS amp and NOT an MG.
He probably said no MG jokes because of the use of the word "crushing"

am I right?
Quote by TubeAmp89
Reread IP.
He has a good SS amp and NOT an MG.
He probably said no MG jokes because of the use of the word "crushing"

am I right?

Oh right. sorry about that , i misunderstood what he was trying to say. What amp does he actually have?
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
And TS said it has a tube preamp, MG don't have tubes anywhere..

I go for either triple wreck or Hardwire TL-2
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Hardwire's cool, but still sounds metalzoney...
TS is thinking in terms of expensive high end pedals, ALL of which blow the hardwire outta the water IMO
Last edited by TubeAmp89 at Dec 12, 2009,
I just heard some clips of the Dual Resistafier and it sounded amazing.
Quote by ragingkitty

/thread

I just youtubed it, I'm going to buy this pedal, I dont care how expensive it is, I WILL HAVE IT. Get this TS, from all the videos I watched it can do high gain metal to straight up blues, cleanly.