Not really a surprise there. The sound reaches your ears differently depending on where you stand and how the amp is positioned, resulting in different sounding tones.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
I like doing this. I can hear the bass frequencies clearer if I stand right in front of my amp while its playing at my ankles.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
It's not unusual to find the tone is brittle or harsh directly in front of the speaker. They make something called "Beam Blockers" to tame that. I noticed that my BBE Sonic Stomp into my amp sounds good when listening off to the side but harsh right in the center.
The other day I played for a while with my amp in the next room from where I was sitting, cranked. It sounded much better than if I were standing right by it... Its just one of those things.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Man goes to doctor, says: "Hey doc, it hurts when I bend my arm like this!"

Doc says: "Well, don't bend your arm like that!"

You're just hearing a different set of frequencies, it's part of the game.
Quote by fly135
It's not unusual to find the tone is brittle or harsh directly in front of the speaker. They make something called "Beam Blockers" to tame that. I noticed that my BBE Sonic Stomp into my amp sounds good when listening off to the side but harsh right in the center.

I find this when I mic my amp. If I mic it directly in the middle, it sounds harsh, lots of trebble.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by Rutch
You're just hearing a different set of frequencies, it's part of the game.

Its all in the game.

/wirereference
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Juadafi
I find this when I mic my amp. If I mic it directly in the middle, it sounds harsh, lots of trebble.

That's because that's where the treble frequencies reside. Which is why you are supposed to mic a speaker off center so you can pick up the entire range of the speaker. And not the dust cone.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
It's called 'speaker beam', very common though some amps suffer more than others.

Try sticking a cross of masking tape across the amp's grille cloth (I've also tried hanging a beermat on the grille over the centre of the speaker, to noticeable effect).

You can also go for some Bonamassa-style panels in front of your amp - with the added advantage of being able to crank it a little more!

Quote by Rutch
Man goes to doctor, says: "Hey doc, it hurts when I bend my arm like this!"

Doc says: "Well, don't bend your arm like that!"
Man goes to doctor, says: "Hey doc, My eye hurts when I drink Iced Tea!"

Doc says: "Do you stir your tea before you drink it?"

Man says: Yes

Doc says: Take the spoon out.
EVH talked about using dense foam on the front of his cab's for tone reasons and to not kill the Audience.