Hi !
I have some much tension in my left shoulder when I play (I'm lefthanded) My arms are really long. And also my right thumb, I press my thumb so hard against the neck, How can I get rid of this?
Like, relax?

Try playing with as little pressure on the strings, and as little effort in your muscles, as possible.
Stretch your shoulders, traps, neck, lats, upper back. Keep them limber. Focus on sitting with your shoulders and scapula depressed, and slightly back. Move into position very slowly, then play very slowly, and the second you start to notice tension, stop, go back to the beginning, and start again.

Make sure you breathe, and don't let your entire body lock up on you. One of the biggest issues is the shoulder hiking/rising up on you, causing a lot of sympathetic tension.

The only reason I know this so well is that it doesn't just apply to guitar - athletes have this issue all the time, and it causes a lot of undue stress on the shoulders. Learn to keep them depressed and back. Posture is key.
Quote by Hckey#
Hi !
I have some much tension in my left shoulder when I play (I'm lefthanded) My arms are really long. And also my right thumb, I press my thumb so hard against the neck, How can I get rid of this?

So you have tension in your picking hand's shoulder and your fretting hand's thumb.

For the picking hand, make sure you aren't picking using the elbow. When you pick, use your wrist instead of the elbow. This will prevent tension building up in your shoulder and forearm, and it will increase your picking speed and accuracy.

As for the fretting hand, make sure you press strings just light enough to make them ring clearly. If your just starting, it will be difficult at first (it was for me too, so don't feel bad) but just keep working at it. If you notice that your pressing the strings too hard, immediately correct yourself. Even if you just corrected yourself 5 seconds ago.

Additionally, if you notice your strings are going slightly out of tune, check if you are pressing them too hard, because pressing down hard on the strings can cause them to go slightly out of tune. (I wouldn't put too much stress on this, sometimes it cant be helped.)

Make sure you warm up too. And when you warm up, don't just go crazy and blow yourself out, just do some relatively simple exercises, like chromatics, scales, chords, slowly. This will improve your playing and stretch your muscles, and while doing this you can observe and correct your technique much better.
Last edited by Dregen at Dec 11, 2009,