Try it...nothing beats personal taste and hearing it for Yourself
133 82%
If You pay more, You get better quality DUH
23 14%
Cheaper means not paying for brand
6 4%
Voters: 162.
Page 1 of 2
Sorry for posting it here, don't know the exact thread to do it.

I see people only talking about the more expensive gear (guitars, amps, pickups) that actually never tried them and judge them or by other ppl opinions or youtube videos that suck in sound quality. So besides trying them out what other option, if even possible is recommended for buying gear?
Under the same company, expensive means better BUILD QUALITY or EQUIPPED.
Not nescessarily better, sometimes even the same of these two (IE one has EMG while the other has Duncan Designed)

But company to company its not the same, using Gibson and ESP, lets say that Gibson charge £900 for a guitar where you can argue you can get with ESP for £600.
Yes, it make's all the difference. With a higher price it usually means higher quality parts, which mixed with more careful craftsmanship, makes for a better guitar.
Smart Pothead and Proud
Quote by 36mikeyb36
Yes, it make's all the difference. With a higher price it usually means higher quality parts, which mixed with more careful craftsmanship, makes for a better guitar.

Nah dude, its all about personal preferences.

I wanted a guitar with a thin neck, so I got the JH200 and to me, that blows out all the competition up to the JH600 or a custom guitar.
That's why I always get used equipment. My bass would have been $450 new, I got it used for $200 "hardly played" not a single scratch on it, perfect condition with all the papers and a case included.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
More money almost equals better quality, you are paying a surcharge for it to say 'prestige' on an Ibanez headstock, and an even bigger surcharge if its a sig model.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I replaced the stock pickups on my Epi LP Goth with nailbombs, kill switch mod, electronics renewed with highest quality parts, graphtech supercharger kit, locking gotoh tuners. I mean every possible thing I could improve except the wood which is good quality (mahogany same used by gibson) and people still diss it. They don't even try to play it, just say "Epi sucks man, get a Gibson"

Just trying to figure "people" out
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
That's why I always get used equipment. My bass would have been $450 new, I got it used for $200 "hardly played" not a single scratch on it, perfect condition with all the papers and a case included.

I got my JH200 used for £300 while its new counterpart was £500, I also got:

Free "checkup"
Free string change
Not a single scratch
The only way to go is try before you buy- while price is often indicative of quality level, there are obviously exceptions- and you may find that a cheaper item is better built and suits your needs better.

The entire "paying for the brand concept" may or may not be true. Only the individual can put a value on something. For example, I own a custom Warwick bass- it's expensive, yes. Am I paying for the name? Yes. However, I feel that name represents something far greater- fantastic quality, exclusivity, comfort and mastercrafted construction.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The only way to go is try before you buy- while price is often indicative of quality level, there are obviously exceptions- and you may find that a cheaper item is better built and suits your needs better.

The entire "paying for the brand concept" may or may not be true. Only the individual can put a value on something. For example, I own a custom Warwick bass- it's expensive, yes. Am I paying for the name? Yes. However, I feel that name represents something far greater- fantastic quality, exclusivity, comfort and mastercrafted construction.

Yes. It is said if You have the money buy a Ferrari, not a twingo. But Your example is different. Was it custom built for You? In that case, by all means, spend all You want, because it's exactly what You want. But paying for a brand not always means paying for quality, specially nowadays with the economic crisis
Quote by Ledforthehead
Try before you buy. I like ESP more than Gibson and most ESP guitar's are cheaper

True, but most Gibisons your just paying for the name, not the quality, cause I know that their quality control on the $3000 Les Pauls has gone to pot recently.

But typically, the more expensive, the better quality and better parts will be used on the guitar. Just look at PRS, super expensive guitars, but they all are amazing guitars.

A MIM Fender might not compare to a MIA Fender, but it depends on the player mostly.
Quote by Wiintruder
Yes. It is said if You have the money buy a Ferrari, not a twingo. But Your example is different. Was it custom built for You? In that case, by all means, spend all You want, because it's exactly what You want. But paying for a brand not always means paying for quality, specially nowadays with the economic crisis

All I changed was body woods and hardware.
Quote by ethan_hanus
A MIM Fender might not compare to a MIA Fender, but it depends on the player mostly.

Yes sir true...

Quote by ethan_hanus
But typically, the more expensive, the better quality and better parts will be used on the guitar. Just look at PRS, super expensive guitars, but they all are amazing guitars.

but why contradict yourself?
Too cheap = rubbish
Too expensive = rubbish, but better rubbish than the cheap crap.

You've got to find a sweet spot, which is usually in the upper mid ranges of price.
This is generally true of most things to be honest.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by osXtiger
You've got to find a sweet spot, which is usually in the upper mid ranges of price.
This is generally true of most things to be honest.

Yes. While the Gibson custom is seriously over priced, the Gibson studio/faded/2008 models aren't overpriced (too much).
Generally, more expensive does mean better, but not in every case. A lot of what makes a guitar "good" is completely subjective, so it should really be taken on a case-by-case basis.
Expensive doesn't always mean better but with Fender it holds true in my experience, American strats always seem to feel better, better quality than MIM or such. MIM strats aren't bad, but just don't seem as good as American ones usually.
yes but it's like everything. I've seen posts here saying that if it's not Mesa it sucks (for example). But what happens to Vox, Diezel, Fende, Engl, and all other brands used by guitarists we all listen to and love the sound.

The probable answer is "it's their tone man camon"....

What I found (no offense to anyone) is that most ppl here just listen to what other ppl says and and never really tried most of the gear they support and advise. Whats up with that?
Well, it's because UG is mostly 15-year-old boys who haven't quite learned to think for themselves yet, so they hop on bandwagons.
Expensive doesn't automatically mean better, but it certainly gives a ballpark.

I think that after a certain price point, it's entirely down to opinion. It's easy to tell a GOOD guitar from a BAD one, but it's hard to tell which of two good guitars is BETTER. That's down to preference.

I would put that "critical price" at about 500 dollars. That would buy you an epiphone Les Paul or a Fender Standard Strat. While many consider this cheap, they are good guitars, quite solidly built and perfectly suitable for amateur and professional use. Guitars upwards of 500 dollars, while they might not be to your tastes, they certainly won't be "pieces of shit".

I tend to prefer cheap n' simple guitars.
Just because a guitar is more expensive or made in the USA, Japan, Korea or China doesn't make it better. I have played guitars that were very inexpensive made in China they felt played and sounded better than guitars people pay 1000s for, made in the USA. People who pay 1000s of dollars just hate to admit someone can get a guitar for a 10th of the price that is almost or just as good. I have covered Gibson and Epiphone head stocks and let people try them then let them decide which is which then I will say and hand them the Epi say it's the Gibson and they say they can tell it's the Gibson then I pull off the cloth bag oops it's the Epi! and watch their face turn red. Needless to say we have been banned from doing that in several local shops. A lot of the time it's all in the mind of the guy who's playing if they don't actually know what they are playing they can make an honest evaluation. 80% of the people who did the blind test could not distinguish the Epi from the Gibson I swear the other 20% just guessed right. This doesn't just go for Epi Gibson you can try it with other brands as well. I always wanted to do an Agile, Epi, Gibson test but we are not welcome to do our tests anymore.

John
first and foremost try before you buy. i've tried $500 guitars that i've loved and $2000 guitars that i've hated. price doesn't always indicate quality. my Vineyard strat only costs about $225 but i'll take it over any MIM strat i've played. Vineyard's are made in a small shop in china so are cheaper to produce but have excellent quality. what works for you is always going to be the best regardless of price.
It all depends on the brands since it's relative. Something like a PRS will never play like an Ibanez and an Ibanez will never sound like a PRS. Those characteristics come down to personal preference. Then you have to consider the company. Ibanez, for example, uses the same quality material and craftsmanship on all of their Prestige guitars and sigs. Those cover a range from about $1000-$2500. They all have different specs which comes down to personal preference. You can't really say that the RG1550M is worse than the RG3120Z or the RGT320Z which cost twice as much.

On the other hand, companies like Gibson and Fender that make 100s of the same guitars with minor variations will get better with price. They save the best parts and wood for their most expensive guitars.
Quote by monwobobbo
Vineyard's are made in a small shop in china so are cheaper to produce but have excellent quality.

Ever heard of ghostbuilding?
If it really was made in a small shop, it would probably be more expensive, as a smaller shops are not well suited for mass-production.
It could easily have been ghost-built in a factory owned by another company, and just sold under a different name.

My Ibanez guitar was actually made in a Cort factory. True story.

I'm not denying that it's a good guitar. I haven't played one myself, so I'll take your word for it. I'm just saying that it was unlikely that the quality is due to it being made in a small shop.
Last edited by sashki at Dec 11, 2009,
Price is not always the issue. Most of the price range depends on the players needs.

If I was going to play metal, industrial or one of its cousins...I could drop a set of active
EMG's in pretty much any well made guitar and be ready to go.

Basswood gets laughed at by many players. I have a Stedman Pro Lp that was $129 and it really made my day to find it. I play a rectifier and Basswood doesnt have those peaks in its tone. Its pretty even..or boring as some say. It really compliments that higher mid range of the Recto. Basswood guitars with decent pups can give you the Angus Young tones on Rectifier style amps. So..the Guitar is Very tone specific. My Rondo Halo is in the same category.

My Douglas Sr-1 V has a set of bareknuckles that match the paint and its sounds awesome as well. Mahogany body..bound set neck..all of the features you may want in a guitar. I just wanted a V to rock out and shred to. I didnt want to invest a lot of money into it.

So when you have a tone specific rig...the prices of the gear doesnt always mean its better.
Right now my Basswood guitars are great...but if you put them on a Marshall half stack and compare them to just about any well made mahogany guitar with after market pups..they will most likely lose the sound challenge. The Fact that it could be a Gibson LP wouldnt really prove much.

A great amp can make an entry level guitar sound awesome. So price sometimes does justify itself. The problem with many inexperienced players is that their favorite guitarist uses a brand so they go with it. They dont know that the player has heavily modified gear....or they have other options.

Recently I purchased an Epi Les Paul studio Deluxe. I wanted a simple lp and I got it expecting a C+ guitar. I put SD Distortion Mayhem pups in it..and its simply amazing.

From my experience with effects...Cheaper is usually a bust. It's not uncommon to get a sub par effect that lacks clarity.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Dec 11, 2009,
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
The problem with many inexperienced players is that their favorite guitarist uses a brand so they go with it. They dont know that the player has heavily modified gear.

I think its a good starting point to demo what their favorites use.

Although, I found myself using a sig guitar, and loving it over most Ibanez's, various Gibsons, every Dean thats been open for a minute or more, every Fender, and ovbiously all Jacksons.

And I agree with your basswood theory, basswood is good, but a little bit boring.
Quote by Holy Katana
it should really be taken on a case-by-case basis.

definitely. all depends on your definition of "expensive" too. i know people who wouldn't pay under $2000 on a guitar, while i also know of people who wouldn't pay over $300.

having said that, i put together a warmoth strat that i would gladly put up against $2500 production guitars. i ended up paying close to $1000 on it, but i definitely believe it has most others beat in the quality and sound departments. all opinion though, as most everything in guitar is.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Expensive doesn't generally mean "better", but when you pay more, you generally get better quality build, wood and hardware, and they are often handmade - while that usually leads to a guitar which performs a lot better than a cheaper one, it doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna like every expensive guitar you play.. in fact, in many cases, you'll find that out of even several examples of the same model you may only like one or two, or even none at all, and you'll probably never like all of them.

so all in all, just buy what you like, at whatever price you're willing to pay.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
you'll find that out of even several examples of the same model you may only like one or two, or even none at all, and you'll probably never like all of them.

This is really mainly true in handmade guitars. Gibson make out a point that they don't know if two guitars are exactly similiar.

This worries me....

That they haven't got a ruler.
Many players dont like Les Pauls...then one day they find themselves holding one that felt like it was made just for them.

It's how a lot of players ended up with one...lol
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
It can, but it also can just be paying for the name (read: most major brands, ie Gibson, Fender, etc).

That being said, an expensive guitar will USUALLY be better than a cheaper one.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
Many players dont like Les Pauls...then one day they find themselves holding one that felt like it was made just for them.

It's how a lot of players ended up with one...lol

Yeah, that's how i ended up with one actually Prior to that, i thought the only gibson i'd ever end up buying would be an SG. I do still want a proper SG but i've just not found one that feels right yet, i'm not going to settle for a random one off the net or the first one i get to try.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
No.

I have a Jackson JS Kelly (an older higer quality one though, but still Jackson's cheaper line), and I still play it because it feels and sounds good to me (after a pickup change). The electronics and quality is just fine IMO.

The same thing goes for my HSS Affinity Squier.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Dec 11, 2009,
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
No.

I have a Jackson JS Kelly (an older higer quality one though, but still Jackson's cheaper line), and I still play it because it feels and sounds good to me (after a pickup change). The electronics and quality is just fine IMO.

The same thing goes for my HSS Affinity Squier.

I have a JH200 but it feels great, whilst there is a BC Rich, which I never use (forget its broken lol) because its more expensive, and I find there isn't much being payed for in there.
it`s swings and roundabouts really i`ve played some brilliant cheap nobrand guitars that have sounded great and just need a setup tweak, and i`ve played some crap cheap ones.

i`ve also found some really bad expensive guitars but on the whole the dearer the guitar the better it is........you get what you pay for....albeit that it`s been constructed for far less than what it`s worth ar retail........
Page 1 of 2