anyone who has this amp, talk to me
so its like a hybrib, tube and modeling?
do they interact with each other or are they separate sections that act independently?

im looking to buy a tube amp for metal, i tried it out and sounds really good at $800, but i have to know more about it before buying it
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Don't buy it based on the fact that it's got a couple of tubes in it, you are effectively buying a solid state modelling amp.

Actually it has a lot of tubes in it. Two 12AX7's in the hybrid preamp and two 6L6's in a purely tube power amp.

I've herd they actually sound pretty good though I haven't tried one out myself.

It is a hybrid modeling amp. It has a digital preamp section that is then put through a tube preamp section and tube power amp.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Dec 11, 2009,
Quote by justinb904
Actually it has a lot of tubes in it. Two 12AX7's in the hybrid preamp and two 6L6's in a purely tube power amp.

I've herd they actually sound pretty good though I haven't tried one out myself.

It is a hybrid modeling amp. It has a digital preamp section that is then put through a tube preamp section and tube power amp.

so how does it compare to a tubes sound?
it just seems like a best of both worlds type scenario to me
Not it really isn't the best of both worlds. Its only good imo when loud because you get to push the tube part rather than using the digital preamp with 2 tubes. When they went on sale a while ago, they were nice deals but not at 700 bucks. Whats your budget and genres do you play?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Not it really isn't the best of both worlds. Its only good imo when loud because you get to push the tube part rather than using the digital preamp with 2 tubes. When they went on sale a while ago, they were nice deals but not at 700 bucks. Whats your budget and genres do you play?

budget around 900 and i play 80s metal/thrash
have emgs, and some pedals so effects loop please
I tried it in a store and i didn't like it. Just like every other Line 6 spider amps, they sound awefully digital.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
It is a good sounding amp to me but I look at it like this. You could spend the money on a POD and a cheaper combo all tube amp and end up with a better deal. I've been looking at the Bugera V22 combo at $349 or the Bugera 1990 Head at $449. You take one of those plus a Line 6 POD that does more than just the Line 6 amp you are talking about and you do have the best of both worlds. I mean if that Spider Valve amp was at a cheaper price point then I would think about it but it doesn't sound a lot better than the regular digital Spider. I mean it really does sound better than the solid state ones but not enough to justify the premium you are paying. That first Bugera I mentioned plus a PODX3 together only come out to $750 new and if you went for the PODxT instead then you are looking at $100 off that. You would end up with a crap more and better digital modeling power and an all tube amp to run it through if you wanted to. Whatever you decide though, Good Luck!
tried it, didn't like it very much, it honestly didn't sound much different than a Spider 3

it didnt have enough gain on tap for my style either, I cranked the gain on the Insane setting with a Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 and it was only heavy enough for early Metallica stuff if that

Plus it's a modeling amp so it's gonna be hard to find your own tone when that time comes
Quote by Ikey
im no fred flintstone but i can sure make the bed rock

MY GEAR!

Epiphone Futura Custom EX
Randall RG75DG3 Combo Amp
MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin
Get a peavy 6505+ 112 combo great for metal.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ