My old Marshall 4x10 combo and 1x15 extension cab finally died after many problems and trips back and forth to the music store for warranty work. I am now in the need for a new rig. I play mainly metal/punk/hardcore, and am using a Schector Stiletto Elite Bass, but will likely get a MM stingray in the next year or two.

My problem: I dont know what to get.

Ideally, I would like to get a High end Ampeg Cab and Head, but My price limit is around $2300 Canadian. I would like to buy a ampeg 8x10 cab and another head(which i would eventually replace with either an ampeg SVT-CL or SVT-VR).

What I am wondering is... What head could I get for around 1100 (give take) that would work an Ampeg 8x10 cab? I have been playing bass for a long time but I am not familiar with the mechanics of cabs and head and ohms and wattage and whatnot. Also, I really love the sound and tone of this band. http://www.myspace.com/means_music .
If you look up You Will Become or There Are Other Places by means, you will find the exact tone I would like to achieve.

Thanks.

BASICALLY. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HEADS WILL WORK WITH AN AMPEG 8X10 CAB FOR AROUND $1100. PREFERABLY TUBE.
PTARMIGAN DUNE?
Quote by markr17

BASICALLY. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HEADS WILL WORK WITH AN AMPEG 8X10 CAB FOR AROUND $1100. PREFERABLY TUBE.

I'm not privy to how inflated the cost is for stuff in Canada on top of the exchange rate, but it seems like you should be able to get a Peavey VB2 for that if you look out for a sale. It sells for $900 us new here.

I have a traynor YBA200, which is another 200 watt tube amp (though it's over-rated a bit for power while the peavey is under-rated). It's even cheaper than the peavey. THe huge online retailers have it for nearlu $900us but you can find them for around 600 new on a lot of ebay stores. I don't know how easy it is to find traynor gear up there, but it's all actually made in Canada so maybe it's abundant.
You can pick up a used SVT 8x10 for about $300-600 used. People practically give em away because they're so big.