hi, i would like to know what your views are on the Gibson SG special faded. now i live in the UK and the cheapest i can find it for is £599, which for a gibson i think is pretty good, but is it still a good guitar for that little considering it is a Gibson?

i play all kinds of rock/metal, so.....is this guitar for me?

thanks for any responses
They are very good guitars. I forget what they come with stock, though
I say go for it. its a really cool guitar. the only reason the price is so low is because its a faded model.
Some will complain of quality though ive never had a problem. Plus i love the necks on the faded series. theyre smooth and very fast. Probably the best neck ive ever played on was a Faded Les Paul
I had one until it was stolen. It's an amazing guitar for the price. I loved mine.
Quote by rock rocks
what do you mean 'faded' ... just because the paint is faded means its cheaper?

The finish on the faded model is cheaper to produce. That's a major part of the price being lower.
Quote by Coreone
The finish on the faded model is cheaper to produce. That's a major part of the price being lower.

Probably the biggest part. And wood choice. The Pauls were all Mahogany instead of having the maple cap.

But i still think there worth it. GC just started selling a black one and im really thinking about saving up and getting one.
Quote by Coreone

niiiice!...thats one of the things i love about the faded guitars, obviously. comes as a nice bonus knowinf that its cheaper due to that and not on the electronics or anything.
The guitar is awesome. It was my favorite guitar for about two years. The neck is awesome and the sound is fantastic for a guitar of that price. The only reasons it's cheaper are the dot inlay instead of trapezoid and that the finish is thinner and more natural. I'd say totally go for it.
Last edited by D&DLover at Dec 11, 2009,
The fadeds are pretty good for the money. However, I know someone in UK with an '08 SG Menace that he may part with for about that money including a Gibson Hard case and that is about the best SG Gibson have made since the sixties. It looks absolutely brilliant: a real show stopper. PM me if you want his details.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Just throwing this out there, but I actually like the faded look better than other SG finishes. Couple that with the exposed pickups and you have one raw looking beast.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
I found that the faded models had less layers of paint.... am I alone?

I am not being sarcastic either, I found it was a really thin layer of paint on the neck...

Note I tried out the Flying V.

Its supposed to. It has a significant amount less than others. And a very VERY thin layer of finish. It really lets the wood breath ann resonates amazingly. I never played the Faded V but i imagine its no different from the SGs or Pauls paint
Not a bad guitar at all play a few they can be all a little different. The only thing you are paying for in the more expensive SGs is the nitro finish other than that they are exactly the same.

John
Well it all depends on the one you find. Since each one (neck) is different, you have to find one that you like. I don't like the SG faded neck at all. Very chunky. The V has the thinest, and I think the widest. The Les Paul is in the middle, but the most comfortable.

Some people say the quality is horrid on them, but on every studio/faded model I've played, I haven't found a single flaw except for intonation, to be honest.
Quote by ascend
I've got a faded LP; it's delicious.

+1
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
They're good value if you play a bunch and find a really nice one that suits you. The cheaper Gibson LPs tend to not be that great other than the occasional rare exeption, but the cheaper Gibson SGs are a little more consistent it seems. Every Gibson varies though so it's very important you try a lot out.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by nickdohle
Probably the biggest part. And wood choice. The Pauls were all Mahogany instead of having the maple cap.

But i still think there worth it. GC just started selling a black one and im really thinking about saving up and getting one.

So is my friend. He wants one as well. Try sucking up to his parents, maybe they'll buy you one, along with a 4-grand acoustic