Hey there.

I've learned a few scales (G Major, F# major blues, A, etc.), and I've had some fun improvising with them. The thing is, I'm looking for more variety, so I'd like some new things to improvise with.
So, what scales should I learn for Classic Rock'y' kinda of improvisations?

Thanks.

EDIT: I also know how to construct Major and Minor scales.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
First of all you realize that you can take these scales and transpose them to other keys and roots, right?

For variety, you might take a look at the safe notes in a scale, and intentionally play something outside of the scale when you improvise...but do so intentionally - variaety is hard to establish when there really isnt that because every note you are playing sounds "safe".

Another thing you could do is mix a major and minor pent scale hybrid, open up your intervals, what I mean there, is instead of playing every note on every string, skip notes sometimes and skip strings, even using the same ol scales you mentioned above Think instead of scales and notes, of building melody.
Quote by Sean0913
First of all you realize that you can take these scales and transpose them to other keys and roots, right?

For variety, you might take a look at the safe notes in a scale, and intentionally play something outside of the scale when you improvise...but do so intentionally - variaety is hard to establish when there really isnt that because every note you are playing sounds "safe".

Another thing you could do is mix a major and minor pent scale hybrid, open up your intervals, what I mean there, is instead of playing every note on every string, skip notes sometimes and skip strings, even using the same ol scales you mentioned above Think instead of scales and notes, of building melody.

1. Yes I do, I just mean I'd like a completely different sounding scale. As in the Major/Minor scales sound completely different from the F#m Blues.

Thanks, some of those ideas are good. I think I have been playing too much like E string, B, then G, without skipping strings, doing so definitely livens up my playing.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
No, not at all. Explain?

A Natural Minor

A B C D E F G

A Harmonic Minor (Raise the 7th up half a step.)

A B C D E F G#

A Melodic Minor (Raise the 6th and 7th up half a step.)

A B C D E F# G#

If you look at what is sharpened you would understand that they are borrowed from the A Major scale.

A B C# D E F# G#

The best way to think of the Melodic and Harmonic Minor scales is to think of them as accidentals kind of because of how they are played.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Last edited by RockGuitar92 at Dec 11, 2009,
Quote by RockGuitar92
A Natural Minor

A B C D E F G

A Harmonic Minor (Raise the 7th up half a step.)

A B C D E F G#

A Melodic Minor (Raise the 6th and 7th up half a step.)

A B C D E F# G#

If you look at what is sharpened you would understand that they are borrowed from the A Major scale.

A B C# D E F# G#

The best way to think of the Melodic and Harmonic Minor scales is to think of them as accidentals kind of because of how they are played.

Thanks.

So, if with a G minor scale, and I was jamming along to a track in G minor, and I incorporated some of these notes, would that work? (Sorry, I can't try it, it's late over here.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
A great addition to this idea is when playing chords around A Harmonic minor make the E into an E7 and it really brings the tonality out in your harmonic minor improv. An easy rule of thumb for any Harmonic minor progression is go to the 5th of the key you are in and make that chord a dominant.
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
Thanks.

So, if with a G minor scale, and I was jamming along to a track in G minor, and I incorporated some of these notes, would that work? (Sorry, I can't try it, it's late over here.

Yeah. One thing I should add is that the Melodic Minor is usually used while ascending and the Natural is usually used while descending.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
Thanks.

Not all of them would, but then its your job to determine which notes work (have zero tension at all) OR which ones don't. (create tension when you hear it across the progression or chord that note is played over) This way you can use that knowledge to create and release tension, which makes you more in control of the emotional melodic content of the music you are playing. When everything is in key, it sounds great, start using notes out of key and then coming back IN key to resolve and you become a budding maestro guiding the notes as you please for the emotional and aural impact the way you see fit.
Quote by RockGuitar92
Yeah. One thing I should add is that the Melodic Minor is usually used while ascending and the Natural is usually used while descending.

Okay, thanks!

Quote by Sean0913
A great addition to this idea is when playing chords around A Harmonic minor make the E into an E7 and it really brings the tonality out in your harmonic minor improv. An easy rule of thumb for any Harmonic minor progression is go to the 5th of the key you are in and make that chord a dominant.

Thanks as well, I'll try that tomorrow.

EDIT: To Sean's other comment. Thanks, I think my ears good enough to tell if something works or not, so I'll just rely on that. Thanks all of you guys for great advice, I should be able to spice up my playing from combining some of this info.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Last edited by LezPaulEpiphone at Dec 11, 2009,
Quote by Sean0913
Not all of them would, but then its your job to determine which notes work (have zero tension at all) OR which ones don't. (create tension when you hear it across the progression or chord that note is played over) This way you can use that knowledge to create and release tension, which makes you more in control of the emotional melodic content of the music you are playing. When everything is in key, it sounds great, start using notes out of key and then coming back IN key to resolve and you become a budding maestro guiding the notes as you please for the emotional and aural impact the way you see fit.

Hey, sorry to make a spam post but you can have that video to your lessons in your signature. People meant you can't actually post drawing attention to it and saying go to it. You know what I mean?

Anyway, @TS I would recommend learning the different key signatures for the scales so that you can more effectively apply theory to your music.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Quote by RockGuitar92
Hey, sorry to make a spam post but you can have that video to your lessons in your signature. People meant you can't actually post drawing attention to it and saying go to it. You know what I mean?

Anyway, @TS I would recommend learning the different key signatures for the scales so that you can more effectively apply theory to your music.

We're sorry to inform you that you've got a warning from AlanHB. In fact, here is the exact reason for the warning:

Promoting own product in signature. Warning in place until link is removed.

Unless they say otherwise, Im just gonna take a pass at the whole online lesson thing, unless I buy ad space here, which I may consider doing.
Quote by Sean0913
We're sorry to inform you that you've got a warning from AlanHB. In fact, here is the exact reason for the warning:

Promoting own product in signature. Warning in place until link is removed.

Unless they say otherwise, Im just gonna take a pass at the whole online lesson thing, unless I buy ad space here, which I may consider doing.

Wow. The mods in The Pit haven't ever had a problem with having a YouTube page link in there signature. Oh well.

Well, I guess if we keep talking about this or something we should do it in PMs or something because we may get warnings and that wouldn't be good for you.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid