I traded my Epiphone sg g400 guitar which was worth 300 dollars for an esp ltd ec-50 and i was wondering if i made a good deal because i wasn't sure. help me out. thanks.
"Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling." - Anonymous
All that really matters is if you like it. They're both about the same price, right? So it's mostly about preference then.
a ltd ec-50 is worth a little less than 300 dollars.... Its a good guitar but i hate ESP stock pick ups... the trade would have been worth it if the pickups were EMG instead of ESP.

But i also hate epiphone stock pick ups on SGs so i guess it was a fair trade. I personally would have stuck with the SG.

but the trade is fair.... its an equal trade in my opinion... although the ltd ec-50 does have 24 frets and thats a nice feature to have...

PS I love your sig lol
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
Are we talking about this:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G400-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518291

for This:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-EC50-Electric-Guitar?sku=516672

I would much rather have the G-400. Low end Mahogany over cheap as hell Basswood any day of the week. And I know from experience that the 50 series is lacking in quality when compared to what you traded. Did you research either of these guitars before you traded?
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
I think thats a horrible deal, as someone said low end basswood, ugly neck, crappy tuners, I would have kept the epi.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
The only thing that really matters, since they're about the same price, is if you're happy with the new guitar. Obviously you didn't like the Epiphone very much if you traded it, so you tell us: was it a good deal?
Bad deal.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
I like the feel of ESP's/LTD's WAY over epiphone G400 but that is just me.

I don't think you got screwed because there is not a huge difference in quality (such as build material's.)

You can get a really good piece of basswood.

it is NOT a bad type of wood at all.
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
You got ripped off hard ...

But its ur own stupid fault for trading without knowing anything about the other guitar.

Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

I would have kept the Epiphone for sure over a 50-series LTD.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by Offworld92
The only thing that really matters, since they're about the same price, is if you're happy with the new guitar. Obviously you didn't like the Epiphone very much if you traded it, so you tell us: was it a good deal?

Out of all you idiot's this was the only comment that made sense! Come on, if you are happier with what you got then what you had then it is a good trade! There's no justification to make to anyone else but yourself here which should be defined by how you feel with what you have now over what you did have. I hope that made some kind of sense. Screw these other people saying you just got ripped! I mean if that's their opinion then maybe say why ya'll feel the dude got ripped. I know some did but most didn't.
Personally, I, being the owner of a G400, and having extensively used an EC-50, would tell you that you got ****ed pretty badly. But that's just me.
I guess it's good if you're happy with it, but you're asking us if it was a good idea, so obviously you're looking back going, "Wait a second..."
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by no.mop
I would have kept the Epiphone for sure over a 50-series LTD.

Agreed. In my opinion, that was a terrible trade, but if you really wanted to trade off your Epi, you really could have searched and probably found a better deal than that. But all that matters is if you're happy with the trade, I just personally wouldn't have done it.
Quote by Supermansdead81
Out of all you idiot's this was the only comment that made sense! Come on, if you are happier with what you got then what you had then it is a good trade! There's no justification to make to anyone else but yourself here which should be defined by how you feel with what you have now over what you did have. I hope that made some kind of sense. Screw these other people saying you just got ripped! I mean if that's their opinion then maybe say why ya'll feel the dude got ripped. I know some did but most didn't.

Its pretty obvious why were all saying he got ripped off bad ... A 50 series LTD is practically an epiphone sg special II
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Supermansdead81

If the ts feels great about the deal then good on them and more power to them. But they did ask for the opinion of the EG section and they're more likely to look at it from a monetary value point of view rather then a playability point of view. That and the G400 is a superb guitar that IMO outplays any beginner LTD guitar, which happens to be the same view that many other people have.
Quote by cobracarg
a ltd ec-50 is worth a little less than 300 dollars.... Its a good guitar but i hate ESP stock pick ups... the trade would have been worth it if the pickups were EMG instead of ESP.

But i also hate epiphone stock pick ups on SGs so i guess it was a fair trade. I personally would have stuck with the SG.

but the trade is fair.... its an equal trade in my opinion... although the ltd ec-50 does have 24 frets and thats a nice feature to have...

PS I love your sig lol
thats for the sig thing lol that was funny. but could i take it to the music store and buy emg's and have them put it on. or do i need like professional help?
"Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling." - Anonymous
Quote by leftyace
Are we talking about this:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G400-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518291

for This:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-EC50-Electric-Guitar?sku=516672

I would much rather have the G-400. Low end Mahogany over cheap as hell Basswood any day of the week. And I know from experience that the 50 series is lacking in quality when compared to what you traded. Did you research either of these guitars before you traded?
yes i did
Quote by jman_nunez
but could i take it to the music store and buy emg's and have them put it on. or do i need like professional help?

Yeah, you can go to a store and ask them to put on any pickups you want.
But make sure that the guitar tech at the store knows what he's doing. You should get a professional guitar tech to do the job.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Supermansdead81
ya i agree with yall....i mean the sg gave a more classic rock sound and when i tried to go heavier it didnt eally support. and i know that esp guitars are basicly built for metal. and im getting nice emg's for it so it will be worth more with emg's in it...i like it
Quote by Linkerman
Yeah, you can go to a store and ask them to put on any pickups you want.
But make sure that the guitar tech at the store knows what he's doing. You should get a professional guitar tech to do the job.
but what kind of pickups are the best? but not like 300 dollars lol like for4 metal and solo stuff.
Quote by jman_nunez
but what kind of pickups are the best? but not like 300 dollars lol like for4 metal and solo stuff.

Take the artist that has the tone you want. Find what pickups he uses, and voilá!

The truth is, the amp (and effects) that artist uses are like 85% of his tone...
But the kind of pickups he uses gives you an idea of what to use to get closer to the tone you want.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
If you do put EMG's into the ec-50 realize that for the amount of money your putting into the pups and installation you could have bought a used 50 series in the same condition off of ebay and still have had the G-400.

Quote by leftyace
If you do put EMG's into the ec-50 realize that for the amount of money your putting into the pups and installation you could have bought a used 50 series in the same condition off of ebay and still have had the G-400.
but the thing is that i might not get emg's (unlikely lol) but anyway i know that would be the case but i have 2 electrics. my first guitar and the one ive had for the longest time and never done anything to it besides dtring changes and whammy bar is my stratocaster...my strat is the toneiest metal ever and i can make it sound like dethklok lol. but the ec-50 ill put as much money into it to make it worth something to me. guitars are like kids. you take care of them, put some education and money into them and they grow to be something kick ass lol.
Quote by jman_nunez
but the thing is that i might not get emg's (unlikely lol) but anyway i know that would be the case but i have 2 electrics. my first guitar and the one ive had for the longest time and never done anything to it besides dtring changes and whammy bar is my stratocaster...my strat is the toneiest metal ever and i can make it sound like dethklok lol. but the ec-50 ill put as much money into it to make it worth something to me. guitars are like kids. you take care of them, put some education and money into them and they grow to be something kick ass lol.

Yea I know what your saying, but think of it this way as well.

Putting alot of money into a beginner level guitar is like raising a kid without arms to be an Olympic swimmer. After years of training he might turn into a great arm-less swimmer, but hes not quite as good as the ones with arms. Same thing with the guitar: alot of parts can be made better but lower quality woods and finishes can't be upgraded as easily.

Quote by leftyace
Yea I know what your saying, but think of it this way as well.

Putting alot of money into a beginner level guitar is like raising a kid without arms to be an Olympic swimmer. After years of training he might turn into a great arm-less swimmer, but hes not quite as good as the ones with arms. Same thing with the guitar: alot of parts can be made better but lower quality woods and finishes can't be upgraded as easily.
lol wow (those children references sure catch on lol) but anyway... I know that it isnt going to be like for example a Steve vai jem but i tried mixing the knobs on my pedal and amp a little and i got it to sound exactly like metallica and i was like holy shit! but imagine it with emg's lol...i should have at least got the guitar in black but all i could get was red lol.

But i get what your saying. that no matter how many parts i put on it, it still isn't gonna be as good as (so to speak) the one with arms. but all i can do is take this one and make it better. who knows maybe someday it will be my signature guitar if i get famous lol (i could have my own custom ec-50's lol)
It's definitely a downgrade. G400s are pretty nice and better than the LTD 50 series the 50 series are the bottom of the line as far as LTDs go. If you like it no big deal but you should have gotten the guitar and at least $50 to 100 bucks in trade for the G400 depending on condition. If your G400 was in pretty bad shape you might have gotten the better end of the deal.

LTD EC50 goes for between $200 and 250 new depending on the source the G400 depending on if it's a faded model or the regular G400 it could be $300 to 350 new. You talking a 100 bucks difference either way. Used I have seen EC50s go for as low as $80 and no higher than $100. Epi G400s are usually 200 to 320 depending on the version. The 3 pup model usually is the top of the price range. Again if you like it no big deal it's your preference you can always upgrade it.

John
Quote by johnro6659
It's definitely a downgrade. G400s are pretty nice and better than the LTD 50 series the 50 series are the bottom of the line as far as LTDs go. If you like it no big deal but you should have gotten the guitar and at least $50 to 100 bucks in trade for the G400 depending on condition. If your G400 was in pretty bad shape you might have gotten the better end of the deal.

LTD EC50 goes for between $200 and 250 new depending on the source the G400 depending on if it's a faded model or the regular G400 it could be $300 to 350 new. You talking a 100 bucks difference either way. Used I have seen EC50s go for as low as $80 and no higher than $100. Epi G400s are usually 200 to 320 depending on the version. The 3 pup model usually is the top of the price range. Again if you like it no big deal it's your preference you can always upgrade it.

John
ya i know but the sg had a spider crack in the top a chip out of the neck and the volume knob was kind of shaky and loose and wouldn't get fixed so idk i might have gotten the better end of the deal because the sg wasn't really my style u know what i mean? (classic rockish) the ltd like basically imitates the metallica sound (so when i change the pickups it's probably gonna be better)
Quote by jman_nunez
ya i agree with yall....i mean the sg gave a more classic rock sound and when i tried to go heavier it didnt eally support. and i know that esp guitars are basicly built for metal. and im getting nice emg's for it so it will be worth more with emg's in it...i like it

TBH you wasted cash. And you're wasting more cash. Why didn't you put the EMG pickups into your Epiphone? Like I know you may think that the SG is only good for classic rock but that's a load of bullocks what makes the LTD any better for metal compared to the Epiphone? Nothing that's what.