i checked the intonation on my epeiphone g-400 recently and i noticed the intonation was out, so i adjusted it just like in videos on youtube. the vids i watched were all rated as 1.5 to 5 stars and were rated by a few hundred people. my problem is when i play a chordm the chord seems to sound much higher, i know i had to move ths saddle alot on a few strings in order to get the 12th fret harmonic to match to the fretted 12th fret, have i do the intonation wrong?
i can't take it to a tech as i'm not aware of one in my area, and there are very few guitar stores, there is one place that might do maintenece but i'm not very sure that they do, but i will pop in and have a word with the owner, but that will most likly be 1-2 weeks away and christmass is fast approching so they may be closed by the time i can go there. if i have done it wrong how would i go about fixing it? any help is greatly appreciated.
As you've now intonated, don't forget to tune your guitar with a tuner, as moving the saddles will also alter the tuning of the strings.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by pigeonmafia
As you've now intonated, don't forget to tune your guitar with a tuner, as moving the saddles will also alter the tuning of the strings.

i have and it comes up as the correct string at the correct frequency of 440hz, but then when i play a chord such as an E or G it sounds high and i'm playing them at the top of the neck
Check your action. Is the string touching a fret on the top of the neck?

Quote by stillsoldier4ch
What is inotanation and how do you check for it?

It's kind of hard to explain, but it's pretty much like if your open string is in tune but when you fret a note, it's out. String length, I think.

You check for it by playing any string, checking to see if it's in tune, and then you play the harmonic on the twelfth fret on that string, and checking if that note is in tune. If it's flat or sharp, you adjust it accordingly.
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.
Last edited by slashe50 at Dec 11, 2009,
Forget the harmonic. Use the freted note at the 12th fret. Also make sure you are holding the guitar in playing position not flat on its back. That goes for any measurement such as action.Gravity WILL effect it.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
thanks everyone it sounds alot better, mybe the batteries in my vox amplug are nearly dead so that's why it sounded bad, i'm getting the amp replaced in a few weeks with a blackstar ht-5, i should probably look for a more accurate tuner rather than my korg ga 30
I like my Korg CA-30...
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.
Thanks to everyone who gave me information on what intonation is. One more question. Should the open note and the 12th fret be the same note? (i.e. top string open is an E so should the 12th fret also be an E?) Thanks.