Whats up bass forum. Ive been offered to play bass in a metal/classic rock band that does covers and Originals...So im wondering some things.

1. How hard will a transition be between playing bass and guitar...right now im taking lessons for guitar but we mainly cover music theory since i want to go to music college so it should transfer over.

2. Also what are some good sites to learn things off of.

3. And lastly Any bass and Amp suggestions?

Thanks
Gear.
Fender standard stratocaster MIM stock(looking for new pickups please suggest!)
Roland cube 60 (the only solid state amp i love)
The FAQ at the top of the page should help you quite a bit
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
transition wise its pretty easy... just switched from rythym guitar to bass guitar in my band and havent had any real problems (except "the recording incedent", but thats another story).
I find theory is more important (than with rythym anyway, not lead guitar)
no idea... found some good stuff a while ago but can remember where
your on your own for gear... My fav is fender amps and bass's, but thats opinion,
I did just buy an Ibanez JetKing bass and am loving, cant go wrong with that.
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
Transitioning is not bad, but it takes time to think like a bassist and not a guitarist. I urge you to listen to bass in songs with a new ear, not as a guitarist would. But you'll be fine, especially if you make use of this community. As stated before, the FAQ at the top of the page is where it's at, plus the threads floating around about the gear.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Alright looked at the FAQ. My only worry is that im really an all around player. I love the beatles but i also love metallica, jazz, blues just about everything. And for an amp would a Acoustic B100 be good to do some medium sized gigs with?
Gear.
Remember that frets are bigger! And you're not guitarist when you are playing bass. There was most important things. It really depends how much do you want to learn. And are you going to play with pick, blah, blah. If you have been playing guitar it will be alot easier. Bass lines are quite important to old metal ( for example: Metallica, Iron maiden, Black sabbath) or classic rock (Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles etc.) so you are going to need creativity . Go learn theory and play alot metallica and deep purple. That's what make you metal/rock basist.
Well this band covers mainly 80s rock and some 70s harder rock alittle amped up but yeah Ive been taking lessons for theory on guitar so it will transfer over pretty much the same.
Gear.
^ The frets aren't necessarily bigger the scale length is, so the distance between the frets would be greater

EDIT: and yes, theory is exactly the same for all western instruments
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Theory is gonna help you a lot. As for a bass and amp, no one can ever go wrong with a Precision and Fender amp combo. Also listen to the differences between rhythm and bass. With Black Sabbath it wont matter too much because Geezer usually copied Iommi ecept for during the solos
my idea of how i play bass is far from just pounding root notes. I know alot of people these days in the metal genre follow the rhytyhm guitarist but im going to look to take a different root. Still following rhytyhm when needed but with 2 other guitarist and both of them playing the rhytyhm a majority of the song hitting the root probably wont do as much to help the sound complex wise
Gear.
seachbar would help here, not be be mean or anything, but more and more guitar transitioning to bass threads have been popping up in the last week or so.

For an amp, its generally recommended that for gigging, you have a 200-300W amp, the Acoustic B200 would probably be your most economical bet, although there are other amps out there, try looking used, you can get great deals on Craigslist.

Its good that your learning theory, that will help you greatly. The best thing you can ever do is take lessons, specific bass lessons. Having a teacher teaching you by example is one of the best ways to learn. If that's not an option, getting a book is probably the next best thing. Overall, your transition shouldn't be too bad as long as you treat the bass as a bass, its a completely different animal then the guitar.

As for a few suggestions for a starter bass, it depends on your budget, but you can't ever go wrong with a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz or Precision, or an Ibanez GSR200. Of course, if you have more to spend, that will open up your options quite a bit.

Thats it for my rant, welcome to the world of bass
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Well if the speeker size on the B100 is 1x15 which i think it its and itll be miced up to i really need to go for more? And my teacher said anytime i need bass help or whatever just bring it in cause he plays that also
Gear.
You should hit the FAQ first.

Or the search bar
Quote by COBHC1
I lol'd

First lol row
Quote by bloodtrocuted93
They will be twin boys named God and Satan and I will make them fight each other.

http://www.virtual-bubblewrap.com/index.shtml
Quote by sg255
If I cross the street to get away from them, then it's a latino.
if you're mic'd and have monitors you could get by with 100Watts just fine. But, if you ever play without being mic'd you're going to need a larger amp for sure.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
studybass.com is your friend
xbox live gamertag: phillips215
thanks all. And sorry for not using the searchbar just wanted more specific answers to myself. This is a forum were we help eachother right not just say searchbar noob and leave the thread there....w/e thanks for the help all
Gear.