I'm fairly happy with my amp situation at the moment but at some point in the future I might need to get another amp. Neither of my amps are really voiced towards Heavier music.

I'd like an amp that can do real roaring metal type tones, like ENGL, Bogner, Diezel, but I can't see myself affording those amps at any point.

I'd like it to actually be fairly portable a - 1x12 Combo at the bigger. I know that won't be as a big sounding as a 4x12 but I'm willing to compromise on that.

I wouldn't mind something like a JCM800, 900 or 2000 that's hot rodded to do higher gain(But can still do the classic Marshall JCM sounds too). I was considering the combo versions of these amps but when I play most of the time it's going to be at apartment volumes. Because of this I'd want it to be fairly low wattage, maybe with a built in attenuator or very good Master volume(which "Metal" amps usually have). I don't mind getting some power tube saturation, so I don't need the headroom of a 100W amp.

In general I'm basically wondering what's available in terms of Budget "Metal" amps. I have a Barber Dirty Bomb for my Metal sounds at the moments, but it's got more of an 80s, Mesa Mark, Randall RG kind of sound to it, so I don't need the amp to be able to do that, apart from of course the Marshall based 80s Metal sounds.

I'm almost considering waiting until Modelling Amps get really good, and start to model more German amps. Also, the amp doesn't need to be Tube. I know the 80s Randalls were good for Metal, as is the Peavey Bandit. Though the real problem with SS IMO is the lack of variety, there are good SS amps but only a few.
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Dec 11, 2009,
I have no idea what I want. That's why I'm asking. I'm just being as specific as I can with what kind of thing I think I want.
seriously.

I love my blackheart. Flat out, epic w/ my solid metal pedal, IMHO.

There are good POD's, and the new Vox Valvetronix vt30 is a good amp IMO.

If you want true tube sound, the Little Giant 5w is nice, I use the 15watt, which I absolutely love through the BH412.
Agile 2800 Baritone (Crunchy Rail bridge/Fat Pat Neck) or Douglas WRL 590 -> MXR Super Comp -> -> MXR M108 EQ -> Peavey 5150 212 (Eminence Redcoat Gov) or Bugera V5
Quote by PimpSmurf
seriously.

I love my blackheart. Flat out, epic w/ my solid metal pedal, IMHO.

There are good POD's, and the new Vox Valvetronix vt30 is a good amp IMO.

If you want true tube sound, the Little Giant 5w is nice, I use the 15watt, which I absolutely love through the BH412.

I had an AD30VT which I'm trying to sell. The newer VTs I know have a Diezel model or similar on them so they'd be much better for higher gain, but I've heard they're still quite muddy. The Peavy Vypyr impressed me a lot more to be honest, I tried the cheap little 15 Watter and it sounded so much clearer than my AD30VT(even after a Speaker swap). If the Vypy r was available in Pedal format like the Valvetronix I'd probably get that.

I don't know much about Blackhearts but they look like nice amps. What do they sound like.

Quote by i_am_metalhead
What exactly is your budget?
Are you willing to buy used?

I will most likely have to buy used. Probably €500 or so max. I've seen a JCM900 combo go for less than that so I find it hard to justify more. I would probably have picked up the 900 and boosted if it wasn't for the obvious volume problem. Keep in mind I don't need lots of wattage(30 would probably be enough for any gig - I have a ZT Luchbox for Clean, and can mic up my AC4TV for lower gain sounds) or many features aside from an FX Loop. I think a Hybrid amp would be ideal for me since it would sound good at any volume.
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Dec 11, 2009,
Blackstar HT-5 or Bugera 333/62XX line would be what you're looking for.
Look into the B-52 AT series also. And a Sovtek MIG (decent JCM clone)
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
The Bandit is good for black metal, which requires a particularly 'raw' and 'unpolished' distorted sound. You can sound bad for other genres and sound great for black metal.

As far as cheap metal amps go, I'd go for a Vypyr Tube or B-52 AT-112. Another option is a used Valveking with a transformer, speaker and tube swap. You can often find used VKs with the latter two already, so it's fairly easy to get a bitchin' amp for less than $400.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The Bandit is good for black metal, which requires a particularly 'raw' and 'unpolished' distorted sound. You can sound bad for other genres and sound great for black metal.
Yeah, my Bandit rocks for BM, but also does thrash/death fairly well too. From my experience, if it makes a note ring out loud it rocks for black metal. E.G. Black Coffee through a Frontman
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
There's a DSL 401 Combo going at the moment for €400... that would be ideal if only it had a built in attenuator! Otherwise going for a more metal orientated amp is a good idea since it comes from the pre-amp.

I wish they made a higher end version of the Bandit. I'd love to have a fairly high end SS amp.
+1 on the Bandit.
I mostly play black metal, grindcore, crust punk and stuff like Hot Water Music, it handles it all decently.

It also works good as a power amp for my POD or my GX. I gotta find a footswitch, then I can try it with my HM-3 for some Swedish tones.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I recommend a Bugera 1990 but it is only a head for $449. You should check out the shout-out comparing it and the JCM 900 that it is supposed to sound like. It is in The Tone King's stuff on Youtube. Definitely worth checking out because they sound identical and that is a great price for a tube amp that is high gain based. Just me 2 cents.
You say you will be playing at apartment levels a lot? Will you also be gigging? If so just get the JCM900. They don't sound as good at low levels sure, but they aren't too bad really and if you are just practicing in your apartment does it matter that much? I play my JCM900 at low levels a lot and it doesn't hurt my performances just because it doesn't sound perfect while practicing. What is really important is how it sounds at the gig and I know that once I'm there the amp will perform. Don't compromise your stage sound for the sake of practice - If you want something that sounds like a marshall JCM900 get the Marshall JCM900.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you want something that sounds exactly like the JCM900 than get it or check out the Bugera 1990 for a cheaper price. They sound almost identical but if you are like me and just don't want to settle for something that is not what you want then get the JCM900. I mean I know we all have done this, which is settling for something else that's a little cheaper than what we really wanted at the time. The killer is even though what we may have got sounds just as good and cheaper, it is still not what we really wanted. Take this advice from someone who has done this and will not do it anymore because you will kick yourself in the butt later on if you don't just save the extra money and get exactly what you want. This is unless you find something else that you like better like maybe the Bugera 1990. I just recommend that because it sounds just like the JCM900 to me and is cheaper but that said, get what your little heart desires most. Deuces!
The problem isn't price. There's a JCM2000 going for €400 near me now, but it's still way too loud. I could have gotten a 900 for even less. Currently, I play an AC4TV which gives me awesome cranked tones at managable levels. If I could though, I'd rather get something that does a really gnarly high gain distortion as there's 10 million "Marshall in a Box" type pedals and some are quite good. I like the JCM900 a bit better because it has a harsher voicing than the other JCMs and it was used a lot in the 90s, though the 2000 can also do higher gain.

You say you will be playing at apartment levels a lot? Will you also be gigging? If so just get the JCM900

I'll probably also be gigging, but I won't be doing any large gigs where they don't have a PA.

Also I'd really want a Combo preferably.
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Dec 12, 2009,