So, boredom has got the better of me, and I'v decided to build a stompbox.

From what I've read on the magical internet, it's just a wooden box with some kind of pickup in it.

But what kind of pickup? Piezo or Magnetic?

Thanks.
im guessing piezo.

might need a preamp in it though.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
yeah piezo's are a bit "brittle" sounding afaik. a pre-amp might help, but will defenatly help with the loudness
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
what else do you have lying around? just using caps isnt going to do anything, youre going to have to use other components.

also, there is no way a magnetic pickup would have worked on a wooden box. theres nothing to make the magnetic field fluctuate, which is how magnetic pickups work (sorta).
Quote by jof1029
what else do you have lying around? just using caps isnt going to do anything, youre going to have to use other components.

also, there is no way a magnetic pickup would have worked on a wooden box. theres nothing to make the magnetic field fluctuate, which is how magnetic pickups work (sorta).

Yeh, i realised that efterwards

But what other components are you suggesting? I won't really know what I have until I look
well to make any sort of preamp device, you are going to need either a transistor or an op amp. which means resistors as some kinda bias network. throw in your caps and youve got yourself a party. i know i have a lot of opamps lying around, so i guess see what you have and someone can work out what you could put together.
Quote by jof1029
well to make any sort of preamp device, you are going to need either a transistor or an op amp. which means resistors as some kinda bias network. throw in your caps and youve got yourself a party. i know i have a lot of opamps lying around, so i guess see what you have and someone can work out what you could put together.

Ok, well transistors, i don't think i have.

But, whilst searching, I came across an old toy, from back in the day.
It's one of those "Secret Spy Listening Device" things, could i somehow run it so that it works as a pre-amp, considering it was initially a form of amplifier?