so i was searching musicians friend for a nice blues overdrive pedal and i came across a fender bassman pedal. has anyone here tried it? i feel like this would be a nice little pedal to have because if its close to a real bassman you should be able to get some sweet tones out of it. plus it will save me the hundreds of dollars on an actual bassman if its good

edit: heres the link for those of you to lazy to go look it up lol
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-FBM1-Fender-Bassman-Pedal?sku=150217
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Last edited by SoLgEr at Dec 11, 2009,
It's crap. It's a gimmick. Nothing else. What amp do you have?
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
well i have a marshall vintage modern which i love, but sometimes it needs a little boost for solos. but im mainly looking for my blues jr, i got sick of lugging my stack everywhere so i bought it for practices and it really needs some sort of distortion, with both volumes cranked its still cleaner than the clean channel on some marshalls i've heard. which isn't a bad thing, just saying.

so ya im mainly looking for some sort of distortion/overdrive for that. if it helps i'd really like to be able to achieve the type of crunch that you hear on pressure drop by izzy and the ju ju hounds, but i dont want to spend too much cash because its not gonna be used very often and isnt a necessity

edit: and what do you mean its a gimmick? like i know what that means but have you tried it and it just sounds like shit? or theirs no way a pedal can achieve a tone like that
Quote by gatechballer
Sounds like it might work for you, but there's better.
It's basically a tubescreamer with less of the mid bump (although it's eq can dial that back in)...

I've only tinkered with it at GC, and I wasn't too impressed, but I imagine it would be eerily close to a bassman if you plugged it into an actual bassman.

I would just look into a legit OD that you like.

I don't know about the bands you listed, but check out a Danelectro CC CTO-1 transparent overdrive or Digitech bad monkey, both of those are cheap, sound great for the money, and have more flexibility than a run-of-the-mill tubescreamer.
It's just a very, VERY generic OD, with an option bright input. Not much gain, and it won't make a Blues Jr. (or anything other then a Bassman) sound like a Bassman.

It may be out of your budget, but a Fulltone OCD seems to be up your alley. A used MXR Wylde OD would also be good.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Dec 11, 2009,
what about the keeley blues driver, i've heard good things about that
Quote by gatechballer
Quote by SoLgEr
what about the keeley blues driver, i've heard good things about that

And rightly so. Great pedal.

It sounds like you just need a damn good OD, of which there are hundreds of flavors.
Check youtube demos, or better yet, start sampling!
Modded BD-2 IMO.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Rutch
And rightly so. Great pedal.

It sounds like you just need a damn good OD, of which there are hundreds of flavors.
Check youtube demos, or better yet, start sampling!

thats pretty much my problem, i love playing new gear as much as the next guy, but i also dont want to spend my whole day going through tons of pedals, can you give me some more suggestions that are alot like that blues driver

edit: and no help getting the type tone i mentioned in my second post?
Quote by gatechballer
OCD is an automatic go-to, as theacousticpunk mentioned.

On the cheap end, you've got Bad monkey, CTO, stock Blues Driver, ts9, etc.

middle-priced: OCD, Barber Half-gainer, Keeley java boost, Fulldrive, Sparkledrive, etc.

Pricey: Klon, KoT, Cornish SS-2, Zendrive, etc.

There's many many many more, these are just a few that spring to mind.
Unfortunately, I really am not familiar with the bands you list, just going off what you described as a desirable tone, which is, of course, subjective...
Quote by Rutch
OCD is an automatic go-to, as theacousticpunk mentioned.

On the cheap end, you've got Bad monkey, CTO, stock Blues Driver, ts9, etc.

middle-priced: OCD, Barber Half-gainer, Keeley java boost, Fulldrive, Sparkledrive, etc.

Pricey: Klon, KoT, Cornish SS-2, Zendrive, etc.

There's many many many more, these are just a few that spring to mind.
Unfortunately, I really am not familiar with the bands you list, just going off what you described as a desirable tone, which is, of course, subjective...

thanks for all the help, im definitely gonna go try some of these out
Quote by gatechballer