It's a real shame, but I have entirely fallen out of love with my PRS CE22. I play my strat more than anything really. But also, I've been wanting a Les Paul since before I even got my PRS and it's been eating away at me. I FINALLY got my champ repaired yesterday and I tested it in the shop with an Edwards Les Paul and I absolutely loved the way it sounded. I was excited to go home and plug in my PRS but it didn't sound the way I wanted. So I've been rockin' my strat recently.

I'm going to consider trying to sell it for $1500. It's got a book split or whatever maple top with a beautiful TV yellow flame. A mahogany body, Dragon II pups, all the other PRS stuff. Original case/documents. ALSO has the PRS birds which aren't usually on the CE series. Not to mention it's in very good condition. I won't lie, she's a looker. I just don't like the way she sounds.

Would I be a fool to sell this PRS? My godfather traded his PRS private stock for a Gibson custom shop Les Paul and regrets it to this day. I don't want to be like that. His was a private stock admittedly.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I would much prefer a CE22 over a les paul but if you prefer les paul's there's no reason not to!
i'd give it a bit. I don't think there's that much difference in a private stock other than pretty feaures. They might use different pickups though. If you don't like the way it sounds i'd change the pickups. and if that doesn't help, put the old ones back in and sell it. Just my opinion though.
Would you not want to look to your amp first to absolutely make sure you can't get the sound you want out of your guitar?

I'd tweak the hell out of the amp first to make sure you can't get something you want, and if it's not a good amp to begin with, I'd save up for a nicer one that the PRS would sound good through.

There's also the option of changing your pickups/adjusting the height.

Granted I'm a bit partial to PRS's as I have a Custom 24 that I'm in love with, I would think it'd be more of an amp issue than a guitar issue here.
Quote by eds1275
Would you not want to look to your amp first to absolutely make sure you can't get the sound you want out of your guitar?

I'd tweak the hell out of the amp first to make sure you can't get something you want, and if it's not a good amp to begin with, I'd save up for a nicer one that the PRS would sound good through.

There's also the option of changing your pickups/adjusting the height.

Granted I'm a bit partial to PRS's as I have a Custom 24 that I'm in love with, I would think it'd be more of an amp issue than a guitar issue here.

I thought it was more of an amp issue too. I played it through my Godfathers twin and Mesa Mark I just to make sure it wasn't my amps or anything. This has been happening for about a year, and the longer I go, the less I like my PRS. And it's a shame, I really like everything else about them. Just don't like the sound of mine.

I've played around with the height a lot. My last straw is going to be to get some PAF pickups for it if I decide not to sell it.

And to the above, Gibson is actually one of my last choices. I'd look edwards first, then Dillon, then Gibby.

EDIT:

Yeah, It's basically a strat and an LP all in one. But it still isn't quite.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Dec 11, 2009,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I thought it was more of an amp issue too. I played it through my Godfathers twin and Mesa Mark I just to make sure it wasn't my amps or anything. This has been happening for about a year, and the longer I go, the less I like my PRS. And it's a shame, I really like everything else about them. Just don't like the sound of mine.

I've played around with the height a lot. My last straw is going to be to get some PAF pickups for it if I decide not to sell it.

Well, here's my question to you: What sound are you chasing after?

I play a custom 24 through an Egnater Tourmaster and I not only am happy with everything that comes out of that combination, but I can also get just about any sound that I really try to get.

I don't really have any experience with your amp or your Godfather's amp, but maybe you just haven't found the right combo yet. I mean, that's three amps you've tried out of how many total models in existence?

If I liked the way a guitar of that quality played and simply had tonal issues, I would be patient enough to try out a LOT of amps and then some pickups for a more precise sound tweak before I shelled out a couple grand for a new guitar

(And Gibson in my experience is overpriced anyway. I love my EDS-1275 and all, but had I not gotten a deal on it... I would not have ever paid full price for it. Same goes for my Les Paul. I think trading for a Les Paul is a mistake unless it's a vintage guitar)

Edit: Even then ^ I think you'd be getting the short end of the stick. But that's just my opinion. You also may have a different playing style than me that may be more suited to a Les Paul. I don't know.
Last edited by eds1275 at Dec 11, 2009,
I want a classic, fat, warm, blusey tone. A La http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iml7D1XsMe8&feature=related Skip to the humbucker part btw.
Like I said, I did strongly consider purchasing a set of PAFs for the PRS before I fell in love with that Edwards LP. Maybe I should still do that?

And I mean, I've tried other amps as well. But you're right, I still haven't really hunted amps yet. The problem is, I can pretty easily trade my PRS for a LP style guitar. Getting a new amp is a lot harder for me considering I already put 200 more into a champ I paid 300 for and my Valveking is worth next to nothing. I really do love that champ and I'm not planning on getting rid of it. I've been trying to sell the VK for ages.

If I were to get an LP, I almost certainly wouldn't go gibson. I think they are QUITE over priced as well and I've played quite a few other brands who make excellent copies.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Ok, so let me get this straight. You've made a thread asking for people to give you opinions on what your opinion should be?

If you want a Les Paul and not a PRS then go for it.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Ok, so let me get this straight. You've made a thread asking for people to give you opinions on what your opinion should be?

If you want a Les Paul and not a PRS then go for it.

I'm not asking for opinions as much as asking whether I am making a mistake in price/quality/deal etc. I already know that at the moment I prefer the les paul style and sound and that I prefer the look and feel of my PRS.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
The first thing I'd do is try an EQ pedal between the amp and guitar. Not permanently but just to let you figure out exactly the change in tone you want, and then see if modding the PRS to achieve that tone is possible. If it's not, and you know a Les Paul will do it, then you'll know what you need to do.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
The first thing I'd do is try an EQ pedal between the amp and guitar. Not permanently but just to let you figure out exactly the change in tone you want, and then see if modding the PRS to achieve that tone is possible. If it's not, and you know a Les Paul will do it, then you'll know what you need to do.

Yeah, I did the EQ thing. I want more bass and low midrange. I actually have considered buying an EQ pedal as well. It's quite possible that I just hate Dragon II pups.

EDIT: I also want balls to the wall less output. The Dragons overdrive my amp on volume 3.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
The answer's pretty simple. Go play some Les Pauls, then give your PRS another chance, then play some Les Pauls again. Nobody can tell you what's right for you. Only you will ever know which is the best option for you and you will only know that from playing all the guitars.

For what it's worth, in your position I personally would be keeping the PRS but I'd be modifying its electronics to more closely resemble a traditional LP. The body and neck wood and construction on most PRS models is very similar to that on a Les Paul, so at least tonally, there's no reason why one couldn't sound like the other. Santana actually has recorded a lot of his music with LPs but from just hearing them, you'd never be able to tell which tracks used an LP and which used his famous PRS guitars.

Edit: From the sound of it, it does appear most of your gripes with the PRS could be solved by simply changing the electronics. I'm not familiar with what pots, capacitors and so on PRS guitars use, but it may be something as simple as changing those; I hear the Dragon II's are moderately high-output and fairly bright. If you were to swap out those for much more mellow pickups, especially most kinds of PAF copy, you may find that is all you need to get the PRS sounding how you want. Of course, whether that's enough for you to live with happily is a different story.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Dec 11, 2009,
Upon review of your setup....

check amps.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
To Mr.Fibble. I didn't know that about Santana, and I'm a big fan of his so that's pretty cool. I thought he was always playing a PRS. Cool to know I couldn't tell. The thing I like about the LP is the sheer body mass. The PRS sort of lacks that. Could I still get a bigger tone with say... thicker wiring, different pups, maybe pickup covers? Could it also be the fact that mine is a bolt on?

and to Natrone. I hate my valveking. I really do. But the champ is a nice piece of amp. Especially after the speaker/tube change and mods and etc etc. Not to mention I've A/B compared my PRS to a Les Paul on both a Fender Twin and a Mesa Mark I

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
A bolt-on neck will definitely brighten the tone, especially for the neck pickup. It's not enough of a difference that it can't be ''fixed'' though with clever pickup selection.

As far as other wiring goes, on a slightly cheaper guitar changing pots to higher quality 500k (or even 250k, for really smooth and low tones) ones may fix the problem, but I would assume on any PRS costing over a grand, its existing pots and so on should be high quality enough anyway. Looking at it, if you want to really fatten up the tone, I think a pickup swap is probably a better way to go. I can't guarantee it will get you the exact tone you want - at least not without hearing your guitar 'in action' - but generally speaking, for most guitars, changing to lower output, more vintage-toned pickups should do the trick; things like Seymour Duncan '59s, Gibson BurstBucker #1s, etc.
Pickup covers can effect the tone very, very slightly, but not enough to be worth spending more than twenty seconds thinking about. Really I only consider using/removing pickup covers for aesthetic reasons, if you get covers made of specific materials and have them tightly installed and fully wax potted then that can, with some pickups, round off the treble response a little bit, but ninty-nine times out of one hundred you won't notice a difference, or at least not enough of a difference to care about.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Dec 11, 2009,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Yeah, I did the EQ thing. I want more bass and low midrange. I actually have considered buying an EQ pedal as well. It's quite possible that I just hate Dragon II pups.

EDIT: I also want balls to the wall less output. The Dragons overdrive my amp on volume 3.

I'm definitely joining the 'try a PAF' bandwagon.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
A PRS itself is not going to sound like a les paul, and I'm going to against the "try a PAF" thing. PAF/PAF style pickups are...

1) bright
2) transparent

I have played a ton of different PAF style pickups as well as 3 sets of real PAFs and a set of early patent numbers and they are all like this. You need that kind of pickup in a les paul to get that classic les paul bite and that honky kind of midrange, but in guitars that naturally sound thinner, they can sound a little bit weak as they do not naturally have a lot of bass especially A2 style PAFs.

Any differences between the guitars are going to magnified to an even greater extent. If you were to try a pickup switch, I'd look at something like WCR Fillmores or Godwoods. A lot of people put those in their PRSs to fatten things up a little bit. They'll add more low mids and give the guitar more growl.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 12, 2009,
I love love love love the Fillmores. But I really can't afford to drop $300 on pickups. Especially if only for a test considering I might sell the guitar anyway.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
while thats true, I would keep in mind that if you sell the guitar, you can always pull the pickups again and keep them for another guitar. They're really not that guitar dependent, just about any guitar is going to sound pretty similar with them because they just have such a strong voice. I actually pulled mine for a set that is more transparent, but I'm waiting to get another guitar to stick them in because objectively they're just as good as the pickups I currently have in my guitar now.

but what I would really consider is think about all the things you like about the PRS that you will miss if you get a les paul instead. I personally do not consider PRSs to be very similar to les pauls, and a big part of that is 1) how they sound and 2) the Gibson's independent volume and tone controls. I personally cannot tell you how important those have become to me, especially if you are playing in that middle position.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 12, 2009,
Check out Seymour Duncan. Also, I have absolutely no idea if this will help, but it's always worth emailing Tim at Bareknuckle. He can give you some great advice concerning BKP's and may be able to help you with other brands as well, but I wouldn't necessarily count on that.

This would be a very good time to take advantage of Guitar Center's 30 day return policy. Try a Seymour Duncan '59, Jazz, or Pearly Gates set. Alternately, there's the Dimarzio PAF 36th anniversary set which was designed to give you the sound of a '59 Les Paul. Lastly, I'd at least consider the Irongear Rolling Mill, although it's fairly hard to find info on that one and I know almost nothing about it myself. A lot of these pickups are going to have more on the treble side - that's just what happens with low output pickups. Your best bet is to do some extreme research first. This is most likely a pickup problem, not anything to do with the actual wood or size of your guitar.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by al112987
while thats true, I would keep in mind that if you sell the guitar, you can always pull the pickups again and keep them for another guitar.

but what I would really consider is think about all the things you like about the PRS that you will miss if you get a les paul instead. I personally do not consider PRSs to be very similar to les pauls, and a big part of that is 1) how they sound and 2) the Gibson's independent volume and tone controls. I personally cannot tell you how important those have become to me, especially if you are playing in that middle position.

Actually yeah, that's a good point. I'd keep the Fillmores. That being said, I still can't afford them without selling something or other.

The only thing I think I would honestly miss is the neck and double cutaway. But I have a strat with nearly the same neck and obviously, a double cut. I guess I'd also miss the "Z'OMG YOU HAVE A PRS!!!" But that's hardly important to me. I do strongly desire the independent controls however. That's the first thing I didn't like about the PRS.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Hey dude I had a similar dilemma, I was trying to get my SG to sound thicker like a les paul. I tried some Burstbucker pickups but those didn't help. And then I found out about a really thick sounding pickup, the Rio Grande BBQbucker. So I got that and it made me really like the sound of my SG more, it has a better thicker character much more like a les paul. So that might be one pickup you should look at.
either change ur pickups or trade ur PRS CE22 for a PRS SC245.

if u want cheap PAF copy pickups, check out the Irongear Blues Engine. Only 35 pounds/pup. It also has almost the same specifications as the Bareknuckles Mules.
http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_016.htm
http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/ZH-themule.html

dont forget to check out the user clips.
http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_015.htm
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by yoyodunno
Hey dude I had a similar dilemma, I was trying to get my SG to sound thicker like a les paul. I tried some Burstbucker pickups but those didn't help. And then I found out about a really thick sounding pickup, the Rio Grande BBQbucker. So I got that and it made me really like the sound of my SG more, it has a better thicker character much more like a les paul. So that might be one pickup you should look at.

I really love that BBQ humbucker. That might just have to be where i go.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
i'd take a PRS over an LP in an instant, but i already know for a fact i'm not an LP guy. always thought i loved them look and feel, but when i finally had my own i was pretty disappointed. anyway, i'd say wait it out until you're clear one way or the other. hasty decisions always lead to regret for me
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Artemis, you might want to check out Guitarforce pickups. The guy who winds them (they are custom, handwuond pickups) has a special price if you're a member of the My Les Paul forum, for I think $125 a set (which is $100 off their normal price). I'd check out a few of their models.
Quote by al112987
Artemis, you might want to check out Guitarforce pickups. The guy who winds them (they are custom, handwuond pickups) has a special price if you're a member of the My Les Paul forum, for I think $125 a set (which is $100 off their normal price). I'd check out a few of their models.

I will check them out, but seeing as I just blew my amp (again ) I think this decision will have to go on old.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1244980

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712