So I've been playing guitar for about 3 years. maybe a little more. its just recently i've started taking interest in music theory. I decided it'd probably be smart to learn the notes on the fretboard instead of just using tabs. anybody know any good ways to get me started?
it all follows this order

A (A#/Bb) B C (C#/Db) D (D#/Eb) E F (F#/Gb) G (G#/Ab) A

its cyclical.

so on the A string, the open string is A, the first fret is (A#/Bb) second fret is B third fret is C...

now you can find all the notes...

then when your looking at a staff its just where the dots are and if there is an accidental for it.
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
My teacher has me play C G D A E B Gb Db Ab Eb Bb F Cb/B# F# C# (I think, don't have a guitar in front of me) on each string, really helps get the notes down.
Lost or confused?

Unfortunately my lessons for this kind of thing are not permitted to be advertised here, because it is a pay to learn from me kind of thing. However I am working on trying to become a paid advertiser here as soon as I learn more about how to go about it.

In the mean time check theory stickies - presumably there are courses here that teach everything.
if you learn the 3 bottom strings first it becomes easier to find the rest of the notes. you should at least know the notes on the 6th and 5th string for chords.
I started to do that a little while ago, Learn the notes on the 6th string first(then youll know the first string two) and then 5th, 4th, etc... Then learn the circle of fifths and their relative minors. Then learn triads and how to turn a major to a minor, major to augmented, and minor to diminished.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Threadstarter, my video lessons are basically a step by step towards learning all the notes of the fretboard. Give them a go.

Quote by Sean0913
Lost or confused?

Unfortunately my lessons for this kind of thing are not permitted to be advertised here, because it is a pay to learn from me kind of thing. However I am working on trying to become a paid advertiser here as soon as I learn more about how to go about it.

In the mean time check theory stickies - presumably there are courses here that teach everything.

Nice work on the helping people. Seriously unimpressed. If I see another one of these posts, it's a ban, pure and simple. Bear in mind the fact that you've not been banned is purely due my decision that you'd arrived unaware of the rules and genuinely wanted to help - posts like this not only make me think otherwise but make you look petty and spiteful.
Quote by Freepower

Nice work on the helping people. Seriously unimpressed. If I see another one of these posts, it's a ban, pure and simple. Bear in mind the fact that you've not been banned is purely due my decision that you'd arrived unaware of the rules and genuinely wanted to help - posts like this not only make me think otherwise but make you look petty and spiteful.

I acknowledge this, and apologize. I would however be interested in advertising here, and have requested an advertisers packet. Do you have any insight to this? I emailed a few days ago.

Thanks.
Nope, I know nothing about that side of things, I clean the forums and help out, but if you've received no word back I can definitely get word to the guys who run the site. I'll put them in touch with you if I can, send me your email address by private message and I'll forward it to them.
Quote by Freepower
..the fact that you've not been banned is purely due my decision that you'd arrived unaware of the rules and genuinely wanted to help

Quote by Sean0913 @12-10-2009, 12:39 AM
I did initially come here, solely for the purpose of marketing and letting people know of the online school..

/edited, JD
Last edited by JudgeDrey at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by robertito696
My teacher has me play C G D A E B Gb Db Ab Eb Bb F Cb/B# F# C# (I think, don't have a guitar in front of me) on each string, really helps get the notes down.

The circle of fifths is a good way to "randomly" generate notes for the student to learn to locate, except that the student will after going through it a few times start to realize the pattern. Then he can try a different pattern (alternating major and minor thirds or sixths).

You also might want to check your circle of fifths. It should be:

F C G D A E B F♯ C♯ G♯/A♭ E♭ B♭ F

Of course, if you want to be true to just perfect fifths, you would not switch to any enharmonics, and would get to E♯ rather than F, but then when you keep going around the circle, you'll run into double sharps, which just get messy. Since the circle of fifths has no tonality, there's no context to dictate which enharmonic should be used, and the 11 perfect fifths and one diminished sixth is neater, and better shows the cyclical nature of the circle of fifths.