The situation I'm in is I'm in a band and we want to record and I've looked into interfaces for a long while now. We are planing to record a 2-3 song demo. We are going to record the drums at a local studio which uses protools, then bring the files back home and record guitars, bass, etc and mix at home as well. I'd to buy an interface with 2 preamps, just so if I want to use 2. Whats the cheapest interface that will work with protools, and at 2 preamps does the usb/firewire comparison matter?
Well, with Pro Tools, there are 2 routes to go. You can either go the M-Audio route or the Mbox route.

The M-Audio route is getting something like an M-Audio Fast Track, Pro Tools M-Powered (which is $200) and a few mics. In total, you're looking at about $400-$500 depending on how much you want to spend on mics.

With the Mbox route, you can find some sweet bundles like this one all over the web. This gives you everything right out of the box to start recording.

When it comes to which route to take, here are a few things to consider. If you go the M-Audio route, if you don't like Pro Tools, you can use the Fast Track with any other recording software easily. Though its doable with an Mbox, the quality isn't the best. But, the Pro Tools M-Powered doesn't come with as many fancy plugins as Pro Tools LE (which comes with all Mboxes) has.

I personally have an Mbox 2 Factory which does an amazing job for all home recordings. I've found that with everything that comes bundled with it, if I take my time, I can get a really professional recording sound. Either way, you won't lose.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Well, it looks like the mbox is probably be what I'll be going with. I don't see myself using anything other than protools cause its the only reason I'm getting an interface.
Yeah, either that bundle there is a good way to go or check ebay for the interface and buy mics & monitors separately. I've seen so many Mboxes go for $100-200 off there (I got my Mbox 2 Factory for $300 there, half off). Though, like everything on ebay, make sure its a trustworthy seller
Quote by lockwolf
Yeah, either that bundle there is a good way to go or check ebay for the interface and buy mics & monitors separately. I've seen so many Mboxes go for $100-200 off there (I got my Mbox 2 Factory for $300 there, half off). Though, like everything on ebay, make sure its a trustworthy seller

I forgot to put that right now I have a Shure SM57, and my other guitarist is going to buy a SM58 for our vocal parts. Really all I need is an interface with protools and 2 preamps. I'm looking on used sites to get some more stuff.
Eh, I personally think the minis are a waste of money. You don't have midi or S/PDIF like the Mbox 2s have.
Well I found an Mbox 2 with all the software used for $275, is this a good deal
Find out if he registered the product or not. If he did, you've got a few problems. If he hasn't, thats a pretty solid deal.
M-Audio need to stop being dicks and make a PCI card with ADAT for around 100 and something, that way you could get 8 channels with an ADA8000 AND run Protools Mpowered 8 *grumbles*
Quote by lockwolf
Find out if he registered the product or not. If he did, you've got a few problems. If he hasn't, thats a pretty solid deal.

He says he's like never used it and he needs to install it sometime before I go over so he can show me a demo (which is what I asked for). How would I make sure he didn't register it and he's not lying?
Are you recording via Mac or PC? If Mac then go with the Apogee Duet. You wouldn't be using ProTools but it is a hell of deal and the pre-amps are top notch. If you are going the PC route and NEED to have ProTools then treat your self to an MBox two but please don't use the SM58. Go with either the 57 or check out the CAD M179 Condenser mic - 130$. It is a very neutral mic and can be used on just about anything - acoustic, electric, vox, drum OHs, toms.
My Gear:
Guitars: Vintage LP, Martin DX-1, Epi Viola Bass,
Amps: Marshall JMD501
Effects: Empty Set right now