hey all. lately iv been playing more late at night and playing without an amp is starting to get to me. i love my 6505, but well, its more of a day-time when everyone is already awake kind of thing. so im looking for a practice thing for middle of the night playing. something decent. i wasnt a huge fan of the vox amplug, and the pocket pod wasnt very versatile. so here are my requirements:

headphone/line out that cancels speaker output
decent metal/hard rock tone
can take active pickups
i dont need any onboard effects
around $100ish new or used

so far at the top of my list is a vypyr 15. can anyone offer up any more suggestions? thanks all!
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
I have a vypyr as well as some of the vox amplugs, well two, ac30 and metal and the amplugs sound much better to me headphone wise.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
how so? i had the metal one, and it was just ok. it didnt handle down-tuning very well cause of the intense bass. havent played a vypyr too much though.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
peavey revalver mark 3, the demo's free and is fine for your purposes.

You'll need to spend five bucks on a jack though, or 90 on a toneport.
Keeley Mt-2 Decent toanz on you own amp but QUIET........I hate headphones!!!
Look for a used Vox AD15VT-XL or AD30VT-XL which are the high-gain, modelling amps suited for some good metal tones, it has a decent headphone out, or you can use the power selector on the back to play at real low volumes while still drive the power amp tube for some saturation.

It may be a bit more than you want to spend, but probably better than an amplug. I got a used 30w for $180 canadian. The 30w has a 12" speaker and is actually fairly loud. You'd be getting a low volume amp, headphone amp, 11 mid-high gain amp models and a loud small gig amp out of it. I was in the same situation about a month ago. Amost bought an amplug, didn't like it. Was looking at a vypyr/spider/roland cube 15w price range and I found the vox used, perfect shape and I'm glad I got it. Its low enough to play at bedroom level, with headphones, line out for recording, could gig with it for small gigs, can do anything from a light crunchy blues to a heavy brootal tone, 11 effects and blew away anything in the 15w 8" speaker range. Its not the best amp by far, but for something versatile with some good amp models, I'm digging it. You can also go the line6 way and get a toneport ux1, and use the line6 ampfarm software on your pc and jam to headphones or some small active monitors.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Last edited by GeToChKn at Dec 12, 2009,
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Pocket POD

The TS said he tried the pocketpod and didn't like it. Way to read a thread. lol.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
thanks for the replies guys. i wasnt a huge fan of valvetronixes either, and my price is pretty firm.

im downloading the peavey revalver demo, seems pretty cool. im not opposed to cheaper software like this either. so far most of the amps u guys have mentioned are out of my price range. thats another reason the vypyr is at the top of my list atm, used 15 watters go for like $60.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
I can't see how the Pocket POD isn't very versatile. You're getting a full POD 2.0 pretty much.