Hey, I was just curious about this. I have a friend who, whenever he buys a new guitar, he takes all the electronics out of it and puts new ones in. Now, he isn't really a close friend, more like a person I know, so that eliminates the obvious "just ask him." Anyway, I was just curious, what would the reason be to gut a new guitar? Longer lasting electronics? Better quality sound? Is this somewhat common?
Quote by In_Black_Flames
Hey, I was just curious about this. I have a friend who, whenever he buys a new guitar, he takes all the electronics out of it and puts new ones in. Now, he isn't really a close friend, more like a person I know, so that eliminates the obvious "just ask him." Anyway, I was just curious, what would the reason be to gut a new guitar? Longer lasting electronics? Better quality sound? Is this somewhat common?

I am new to guitars. I actually dont own one... yet. But I can tell you that the old adage "you get what you pay for" is true. So, if you buy a cheap guitar, its going to have cheap electronics. So, its a good idea to change them out. Its a rather cheap and easy way to turn a cheap guitar into a decent guitar.
Well, if you go out and buy a cheap guitar, and you dont like the sound it is producing or there is some undesired sound, you should go out and buy new pickups and electronics. the only real reason to replace all of the electronics in a guitar, is to get better superior sounds out of it.
You just LOST the game >: P

After years of extensive research at Yale, it is determined that the game does not, in fact, exist.
Re-wiring a guitar can alter the tone (Even when wired the same way), and he might like doing to figure out how the guitar works. I know that's what I do when I get pedals, is just open them up and mess around.
There is a possibility that he is just a sound searcher. That's what I call someone who believes that if they can just get that perfect sound that will be a great guitarist. They are always on the hunt for the next thing that will be the magic answer. Truth is, it's all in your fingers. A great guitarist will make a fender squire sound good. A bad guitarist couldn't make anything sound good. I've heard people say, "how do I sound like (fill in the blank)." Only true answer, practice.
Last edited by cSuttle at Dec 12, 2009,
Quote by cSuttle
There is a possibility that he is just a sound searcher. That's what I call someone who believes that if they can just get that perfect sound that will be a great guitarist. They are always on the hunt for the next thing that will be the magic thing. Truth is, it's all in your fingers. A great guitar will make a fender squire sound good. A bad guitarist couldn't make anything sound good. I've heard people say, "how do I sound like (fill in the blank)." Only true answer, practice.

This is so true. I'm pretty new to playing guitar so I'm not that good yet, and wonder why my playing sounds nothing like how the songs sound.

Yet when I take my guitar over to my mates house who's been playing for years he picks it up and makes it sound amazing!
Quote by Baby Joel
Re-wiring a guitar can alter the tone (Even when wired the same way), and he might like doing to figure out how the guitar works. I know that's what I do when I get pedals, is just open them up and mess around.

Yeah I figured it had something to do with sound. Speaking of, isn't there some wiring you can do to make the Boss noise suppressor better for your tone?