I recently brought a new guitar, a Brian May Guitars Red Special in Antique Cherry and it comes with Grover Locking Machine Heads with the clamp in the middle of the peg. I was wondering how do you restring with these?

The instructions given are a little complicated to understand. Do I just take string off and put new string in then pull it tight then start winding? No where as a good how to guide with these Grovers lol
Umm yeah I think that's how you're meant to do them. Just give a shot mate you've got 6 different tries to get it right lol.
Just pull them firm and start turning the tuner. The inner cam will lock the string in place. Once the string is locked by the cam the outer cylinder will start to turn allowing you to tune up to pitch.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I use these. Stringing with them gets you flawless results every time with ease.
Sorry for the double, but make sure that when measuring out where to cut the slack, leave it ever so slightly beyond the peg. Then after putting the string through the tuning peg, pull the string back just enough so that you don't see it stick out on one end but that the locking tuner will hold still hold the string in place.
I dont know much about locking tuner, but just for safty I would leave 2 winds before I lock the tuners, just to make sure, cause pulling the string tight, then locking it then tuning it seems like a good way for the string to loose tuning easily, since the only thing holding it in place is the locking screw, and not the peg itself.
Ideally you want about 1/3 to 2/3 of a turn on the post to tune the string to pitch. Less than that can stress the string and it may break in time, more than that and you defeat the purpose of a locking tuner.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I dont know much about locking tuner, but just for safty I would leave 2 winds before I lock the tuners, just to make sure, cause pulling the string tight, then locking it then tuning it seems like a good way for the string to loose tuning easily, since the only thing holding it in place is the locking screw, and not the peg itself.
Winding it totally defeats the point of having locking tuners in the first place. If you wind it when you're creating friction points where tension can change, causing tuning instability. Just pull it tight through the tuner and tune up to pitch. That way there are no friction points.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Last edited by ch0 at Dec 12, 2009,
or just use pretzel knot on a regular grover tuner
Ibanez AEL10E BLK- W/ Graph Tech Nut, Saddle and Pins
Duncan Woody XL Pickup w/ stock fishman EQ

Schecter C1+ Darksunburst w/ SH-4 (N) & SH-6 (B) 24.75"
Gain boost Switch
11-14-21w-38w-49w-60w D'Addario strings
ENGL Fireball+Savage+Vader Cab