i am really interested in recording my electric guitar and currently i have a presonus inspire 1394 firewire audio interface that i use to record vocals from a condenser mic, and i also record my electric-acoustic directly plugged into it. i am happy with the sound on my vocals and acoustic, but i cant record electric guitar with distortion. i have been looking at the jamvox and guitar rig programs and hardware and i am a little lost. if i bought a jamvox or even the guitar rig hardware, could i get rid of my current audio interface, or is the one i have going to produce better results because it was more expensive than the guitar rig and jamvox hardware? should i just buy guitar rig software and record using my current audio interface and not buy the hardware that they have available? can i use the guitar rig or jamvox software so that my guitar has all the effects and distortion, but record it directly in reaper? or do i have to record on their software and then import the file into reaper? i hope all my questions made sense, if not let me know where to be more specific. any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Last edited by krazykxrider at Dec 12, 2009,
With Guitar Rig, you can use your current interface to record with. Also, since you have an interface, you can save about $200 since you wouldn't need to buy the Guitar Rig controller. I would actually recommend going that route since you can keep your interface to still use it to record other things. Plus, I know with Guitar Rig, you can use it in reaper.

Unfortunately, I'm not too sure with Jamvox what you can do with it. I haven't been able to see one long enough to mess with it. Another program you may want to look into is Line 6's Pod Farm. If you've got an iLok key, you can download a 15 day trial. Its a little more money than Guitar Rig (Pod Farm Platinum is $300, Guitar Rig 4 Pro is $200) but I like Pod Farm more than Guitar Rig.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
i like the jamvox software becuase you can mute the guitar tracks and just have the background play which sounds really cool to jam along with. i thought the guitar rig pro software costs like 400 bucks, i was looking at guitar rig essential for 100 bucks, but do you think it would be worth it to buy the more expensive software
Guitar Rig 4 Pro costs $200 for just the software. If you want the foot controller, the bundle costs $400.

Get the Pro Software version. Essentials has about half of the stuff that the Pro version has. And, if you're like me, a few more buck for extra stuff is always a plus and leads to way more avenues to explore with sound.

Your best route to go is to just buy the Guitar Rig 4 Pro Software. I don't think you'll use Guitar Rig for live situations (which is doable but really dumb IMO) so the foot controller is pretty useless. Essentials is great but you miss out on a lot of the better effects and amp models (Like my personal GR favorite, the Hiwatt clone). Keep your inspire because that allows you to record with mics if you ever want to
i cant seem to find the software for sale anywhere, only the software and the hardware bundle. where is a place to buy just the software?
nevermind, i found it on native intruments site, ok so we have the guitar rig 4 pro software for 200 bucks, or the jamvox with an interface and speaker, for 200 bucks, and i really like the way i can cut out the vocals, or guitar, of any song and play along with it. so at the same price, which one would you get? i can maybe sell the jamvox interface, or even sell my interface, becuase the jamvox has a xlr input, i dont know if its phantom power, but if it does, then i could just use that, what do you think?
My family has a jamvox, and the JamVox is a buggy piece of hardware. The advertised cutting-out functionality doesn't work well with songs that are not on the demo CD, and on some computers the JamVox has cracking and popping noises. And there's latency sometimes. Have you considered the Line 6 Pod Studio? It's about 90 dollars and it's much better than a JamVox. I have a Line 6 Pod Studio UX1.

For cutting out the voice and all that, just use audio editing programs and experiment with the effects. Here are two free audio editing programs:
REAPER - http://www.reaper.org (Download the trial. It has the same functionality as the full version, and the trial doesn't expire. The developer doesn't force you to pay.)
Audacity - http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Last edited by robinlint at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by robinlint
Have you considered the Line 6 Pod Studio? It's about 90 dollars and it's much better than a JamVox. I have a Line 6 Pod Studio UX1.

That and it comes with Pod Farm. Pod Farm is a great alternative to Guitar Rig (I like PF over GR personally)
ok so theres pod farm for 99 bucks, pod farm platinum for 299 or gutiar rig 4 pro for 199, which one do you guys think is the best value? i dont really feel like spending 300 bucks on software, but if its much better than anything else, i will consider it. also, i have a line 6 spider amp, and i tried directly recording it from the output that it has, but it sounded terrible, is this the kind of sound i can expect with these software programs to?
Last edited by krazykxrider at Dec 13, 2009,
There are a TON of free amp sims out there, I'm pretty sure Acmebargig have a few that are fairly high quality. Search around this forum a little bit, I've seen a bunch mentioned over and over.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Some are even better. Go to www.acmebargig.com and try out the DIG. It's free, so there's nothing to lose!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by krazykxrider
alright so in reaper i just use these plug-ins and thats all i need?

Yeah, pretty much, congrats on saving 200 dollars.
I accept with information:
Gitar Rig 4 Pro costs $200 for just the software. If you want the foot controller, the bundle costs $400.
ok so i just downloaded D.I.G from acmebargig and i have no idea how to use it with reaper. i thought i could just click on it and it would work, but it opens with reaper and then says error. so can someone help me out?
Check out the demo of revavler as well and see how you like that one. http://www.peavey.com/products/revalver/index.cfm
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
i think i figured it out, i just cant seem to get a good sound out of the dig 2.0 software
Are you using a TS infront of the amp and a cab sim with an impulse?

If that's confusing to you, you probably don't have it set up right and you should read the VST amp sim sticky..
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Well you're in reaper right?.. you should have a Tubescreamer first, then the amp, then a cab sim such as Kefir. with a impulse loaded into that.

You just gotta read the vst amp sim sticky, follow each step to get free good recordings.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch