So I'm getting rid of my guitar. I hate the locking tremolo and I wasn't sure about it when I first bought it.

I've got about $1200 to spend.

I'm probably going to head down to the local (and tiny) guitar shop, to try some guitars. Thing is, they don't have a lot of guitars, so does say a Les Paul generally feel like a Les Paul even if it's low-end Les Paul? I just need to get the feel of what kind of neck I want.

Also, what kind of neck would a Schechter's neck be comparable to? I've been contemplating getting a Schecter guitar, but I have no way of trying one out.

Any specific models or brands I should be looking into, or something I should stay away from? Thanks.
Quote by Flaringo
I'm probably going to head down to the local (and tiny) guitar shop, to try some guitars. Thing is, they don't have a lot of guitars, so does say a Les Paul generally feel like a Les Paul even if it's low-end Les Paul? I just need to get the feel of what kind of neck I want..

No, because alot Gibby les pauls are handmade and they stress enough that each one is different with the same spec.

EDIT
Last edited by Banana Wedgie at Dec 12, 2009,
Quote by Banana Wedgie
No, because all Gibby les pauls are handmade and they stress enough that each one is different with the same spec.

Um, NO!
Most Gibsons AREN'T hand made.

Schecter necks are fairly thick, probably comparable to a Fender or Gibson.
For low end Gibsons, you have to try each one out, because some are awful, some are brilliant, and most are just average. The necks stay fairly consistent, but the fretwork doesn't.

Good luck!
i would really try a brand other than gibson, with a gibson you're buying the name. You could get a much better guitar from another brand. If you like those thick baseball bat necks, than go with schecter (but schecters feel plasticky and cheap IMO).

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by Banana Wedgie
No, because alot Gibby les pauls are handmade and they stress enough that each one is different with the same spec.

EDIT

hahahaha hand made, bahahahaahahaha
What type of music do you play?
Current Gear:
2010 American Fender Stratocaster Deluxe White
Oakridge Resonator
Maton Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic

Peavey Envoy 110(40 watt)
SPBY: Oh, I was just using the Les Paul as an example. I'm looking for any brand, any model, just as long as I like it, and it won't break after a day.

Dill69: Well, I play a lot of different music. Recently I've been playing stuff like Opeth, Judas Priest, Queen and Kamelot (power metal). I suppose Metal would top the list, though.

EDIT:

Baby Joel: Thanks!
Maybe you should seek out a good music shop, near you and just play heaps of guitars there and see what you like the most.
Current Gear:
Oakridge Resonator
Maton Acoustic
Fender Acoustic

That would indeed be nice, but there's only one instrument shop near me, and it's quite small like mentioned. For anything better I'd have to travel for quite a while, and without a car or being legally able drive one, I don't think that's going to happen.
That sucks...
Current Gear:
Oakridge Resonator
Maton Acoustic
Fender Acoustic

Quote by Flaringo
That would indeed be nice, but there's only one instrument shop near me, and it's quite small like mentioned. For anything better I'd have to travel for quite a while, and without a car or being legally able drive one, I don't think that's going to happen.

Who said GTA is legal?
Looks like a good guitar, Awfulplayer, but I'm not looking for a locking tremolo set-up.

Thanks anyways, though!

How much do American/Mexican Strats go for these days? I've got this cheap as hell and crappy Reef guitar (it's a strat "clone"), but oddly enough I quite enjoy the feel of the neck.
Hmm, I've been looking at a PRS SE Custom 24, looks like a really nice guitar. If I recall right they might have one of those, or possibly a similar model down at the instrument store. I'll definitely play one tomorrow if that is the case!

I've also been looking at some Godin guitars. specifically Godin Velocity, Redline II and Redline HB. Velocity looks amazing, but I'm also curious about the Redline series, even if it is a bit more aimed at metal and shredding (as far as I understand). Can anyone elaborate on these?

Also, what would the Velocity's neck be comparable to? And the Redline-necks?
Quote by Flaringo
Hmm, I've been looking at a PRS SE Custom 24, looks like a really nice guitar. If I recall right they might have one of those, or possibly a similar model down at the instrument store. I'll definitely play one tomorrow if that is the case!

Yeah, PRS are nice guitars, I'd buy a custom if it didn't have the bird inlays.
I have a 2007 SE. I enjoy it... But... Its pickups are far from amazing, if I had the money I would put in another set. And I don't love the feel of the neck, but I seem to be the only one. However, its overall tone is amazing, it is lightweight, and it is a beautiful guitar. And if you have the money, buying one and changing the pickups, you will have a pro worthy guitar.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
There may be some Jackson Dinky's/Soloists with a fixed bridge you may like, but I think most of them have actives, not sure if you like that or not. There is also a new Ibanez fixed bridge Prestige coming, and ESP will definately have some fixed models as well but they usually have actives too.
Carvin kicks ass with all the options and you can get exactly what you want, but the only thing stopping me from buying one, is I can't try one first. I also wish they did 25.5" scale with 24 frets.
Last edited by potatohead_33 at Dec 13, 2009,