Hi, there.

I've been listening to a few songs and have come across this cool sounding effect that a few songs use.

The old school killswitch Engage song, where Jesse Leach, was lead man "one last sunset" and in his new band "Choir Of Angels" by The Empire Shall Fall. During these instrumental sections.. There is this cool metal slide kind of effect in the background.

I know that it's a type of device that you put on your right hand(if you're right handed) or left hand (if you're left handed) when you're playing guitar and you slide it up/down the fret board to give the effect. However, I've had no luck finding out what it's called. Here is a link to "One Last Sunset"

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22I5pi6-lv4
Part: 1:36-1:50
Description: You can hear this rich sounding slide ascending in pitch, then descending.

It really is driving me insane not knowing what the device is called that can cause that effect on guitar.

Any help is greatly appreciated.


Just sounds like he's plucking the note with volume all the way down, bring the volume up, then down, plucking a lower note, volume up, volume down, etc etc
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
Quote by 5kuzgib

yeah it could possibly be an ebow. but my guess is he is plucking a string (with delay on but the volume set to zero on either his guitar or volume pedal) and then bringing up the volume, if you havent tryied this yet you really should. its a shitload of fun. ive managed to get some crazy whale sounds from my tele by doing this
yea it sounds like hes using an E-bow, but you can just use volume swells to make that effect.
Quote by 5kuzgib

I'm pretty sure it's this
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Thanks a lot guys -- Didn't realize it was called an e-bow.. Looked it up and it was the thing I was looking for!!

Also, that delay + volume effect, is also something I will be doing in future too

Thanks, again, for the help