Page 1 of 4
This world has so many beautiful people but I find that we don't show enough appreciation for them that they deserve or that maybe we do but we're still not doing enough ourselves to be like these people...because we should. It often ends with me upset and thinking that I'm not doing enough to help those who need it or that I'm not doing enough to be more helpful.
I've been thinking about this a lot a week ago. I was listening to this particular song which is dedicated to a Doctor in HK, who tirelessly helped people during the beginning of the SARS outbreak in Asia. She died almost a week later but it was her efforts in helping despite knowing that she was going to die which really touched me.

It's upsetting but it's also a wake up call to a lot of people that there are more important things to life than we all have been led to believe. If you wouldn't mind writing out some real life stories of amazing people I would greatly appreciate it - I'm not in the best of moods.

This thread is pretty serious and I know that's asking for a lot but if you have any sarcastic comments that really don't need to be made or one-liners, don't bother replying. I don't really have patience or the time for those people.

Talk to me

Quote by Kensai
Well yes.

Oooh wait... you mean figuratively beautiful people. Then no, I'm not. I'm just an ordinary guy who puts his pants on one leg at a time. Then I hunt down kitten-kidnapping terrorists with my fists of justice.

What about you harmy?

Don't really know - just still upset with the lack of care everywhere.

Quote by Z_cup_boy
Well, I believe something kind of hopeful yet misanthropic at the same time. I think all of us to a certain extent are altruistic, or WANT to be altruistic, but only a few act upon it, because if the 'norm' of the group people belong to do not participate in said activities, they do not act differently. We need to bring more awareness I think to charity groups and funds to get people active. I think if you're offered a group akin to what you want to do, then philanthropy would increase.
Everytime I see someone do something good for me, I make sure to thank them. If you don't they won't do any polite gestures anymore if they feel people do not appreciate it.

Agreed and I think that's the core of the question isn't it? It's the fact that we all like to think that we're helpful or whatever but not a lot of us act on it. There are different perceptions as to what "help" means as was mentioned by someone else in this thread but it's really frustrating not seeing it from those people who they care if you know what I mean. It's so God-damn complicated to explain.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Prove it. Don't let the bad things make you so cynical that it leads you to simply and blindly assume that he was only doing something to get money. Even if he was, he still helped someone, someone potentially just as vulnerable as he is, as opposed to just begging for it.

Quote by shattamakar
You do not get the point. It's not the action in itself or even motive behind the action that's important. It's the inspiration that we derive that matters.

True and when I posted that I realised that I shouldn't have assumed. Please ignore that comment.

Quote by Kumanji
One must always assume the best of people - trusting and putting faith in people nine times out of ten means you get every ounce back

Too good to be true and I find it hard to accept that.

Quote by aaciseric
Do you mean beautiful on the inside or outside? Because if you read the opening line assuming it to be the former it makes you sound like a very odd person.

I really should do more to help people though, I always try and give a bit of money to charity here and there, but I really should do more. Though i'm suddenly reminded of a music video we were shown when I was in school, where instead of doing an actual music video, this woman just sat down and performed her song, and explanations of what they did with all the money they were given to shoot the video came up, with various pictures of people in third world countries that they'd helped with it. Though unfortunately i've forgotten the name of the singer and the song, so I wouldn't know how to set about looking for it. I found it quite inspiring though.

Oh yeah - sorry, I didn't really know how to rephrase the thread title. It was just the thought that came in my head when I was thinking about these amazing people. "Amazing" was actually my first word but I thought "beautiful" was better fit to describe them.

Quote by Abunai X
You reminded me of one of my favourite quotes of all time: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will."

My life changed when I heard it.

That's a really nice quote and I can't tell you how many times I've tried to think that but I think it's a lot easier said than thought.

Quote by DeadlyIllness
Here comes the huge ego thread.

That is most definitely not what I was intending.

Quote by sadSTATUE
I don't know, really. I mean, I try to be a good person, in terms of my attitude towards others. But I've never done or been anything that someone would have a reason to remember me in a positive light. I'm not a life-changer, I just wake up, do shit, go to bed, and I hope that maybe at some point, in my life, I can do some actual good for someone. Not for my own purposes, but just to... you know, do it.

I think it really depends about what you mean by life changing. For some, doing the small things can be life changing like simply being friendly to someone who isn't used to that sort of comfort etc. It doesn't have to be big but again, I just think that we all take for granted just how much we all influence each other in small but simple ways and it's generally this concept which frustrates me because there isn't a whole lot of appreciation for these things.

Quote by Feel bad inc.
I'm too sceptical of people to believe they are ever doing something truly selflessly. I mean that doctor in HK, I could of course always say that they just did it because its their job, also I believe its far easier to be selfless if you are sure you will die no matter what. But I get what you're going for, some people can see that and I admire it, other people (me included) cant always. I can see it sometimes in my own life with people i know personally like good friends, family etc but never if I look at someone I dont know, I just become sceptical if I dont know them personally

A job is a job, you're right but when you're on the verge of dying, a job isn't a job any more. It's not important as far as most people are concerned and the fact that you're still trying your best to help these people when you could have left and had your family beside you is the really touching part. You have to think to yourself, "I don't really care about my life because there are so many people dying here and I've got to help them otherwise I could never live with myself" and I think that's beyond difficult to comprehend at that time. I'm not quite sure of the facts but I don't think her family even remotely knew of her illness.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
I'll try to contribute. Here's what I think.

Every person is a balance between egoism and altruism. Selflessness, as in 100% altruism and 0% egoism, is something you'll hardly ever come across. It's so rare that you could almost say it doesn't exist, although the example of that doctor you gave in the OP comes pretty close. Unfortunately, 100% egoism and 0% altruism is less uncommon, even though it's still rare. For example, a Belgian guy murdered both his parents about a week ago, so he could take their money and his father's BMW to go and party all weekend. Still, like I said, "pure egoism" like this is pretty rare

I think that first example you gave about the BMW was a case of mental disorder to be honest rather than 100% egotism. I agree that you don't have to be 100% altruistic to be "beautiful" but that was just a description but it was one which I thought was really fitting.
I'm very similar to you in that I almost always tend to forget about myself. It's too bad that I'm great at giving advice but hardly, I can never follow my own - sort of neglect myself in a lot of areas that I do tend to put myself in a lot of trouble. At the end of the day you just feel really upset for the lack of appreciation and good fortune that it becomes typical.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Dec 13, 2009,
Well yes.

Oooh wait... you mean figuratively beautiful people. Then no, I'm not. I'm just an ordinary guy who puts his pants on one leg at a time. Then I hunt down kitten-kidnapping terrorists with my fists of justice.

What about you harmy?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Harmonius
I'm not in the best of moods.

But... i love you
Quote by donkey the wise
biggest pwnage in this thread yet. congrats good sir!

Quote by potcorn56
ooooo your so kinky!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by Kumanji
Everyone is beautiful.

I saw a homeless chap helping a woman across the road the other day. That was rather touching, I thought.

He was looking for money for helping. That doesn't make him great.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Harmonius
This world has so many beautiful people but I find that we don't show enough appreciation for them that they deserve or that maybe we do but we're still not doing enough ourselves to be like these people...because we should. It often ends with me upset and thinking that I'm not doing enough to help those who need it or that I'm not doing enough to be more helpful.
I've been thinking about this a lot a week ago. I was listening to this particular song which is dedicated to a Doctor in HK, who tirelessly helped people during the beginning of the SARS outbreak in Asia. She died almost a week later but it was her efforts in helping despite knowing that she was going to die which really touched me.

It's upsetting but it's also a wake up call to a lot of people that there are more important things to life than we all have been led to believe. If you wouldn't mind writing out some real life stories of amazing people I would greatly appreciate it - I'm not in the best of moods.

This thread is pretty serious and I know that's asking for a lot but if you have any sarcastic comments that really don't need to be made or one-liners, don't bother replying. I don't really have patience or the time for those people.

Well, I believe something kind of hopeful yet misanthropic at the same time. I think all of us to a certain extent are altruistic, or WANT to be altruistic, but only a few act upon it, because if the 'norm' of the group people belong to do not participate in said activities, they do not act differently. We need to bring more awareness I think to charity groups and funds to get people active. I think if you're offered a group akin to what you want to do, then philanthropy would increase.
Everytime I see someone do something good for me, I make sure to thank them. If you don't they won't do any polite gestures anymore if they feel people do not appreciate it.

Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Do you mean beautiful on the inside or outside? Because if you read the opening line assuming it to be the former it makes you sound like a very odd person.

I really should do more to help people though, I always try and give a bit of money to charity here and there, but I really should do more. Though i'm suddenly reminded of a music video we were shown when I was in school, where instead of doing an actual music video, this woman just sat down and performed her song, and explanations of what they did with all the money they were given to shoot the video came up, with various pictures of people in third world countries that they'd helped with it. Though unfortunately i've forgotten the name of the singer and the song, so I wouldn't know how to set about looking for it. I found it quite inspiring though.
Quote by Harmonius

Prove it. Don't let the bad things make you so cynical that it leads you to simply and blindly assume that he was only doing something to get money. Even if he was, he still helped someone, someone potentially just as vulnerable as he is, as opposed to just begging for it.
Quote by Harmonius

You do not get the point. It's not the action in itself or even the motive behind the action that's important. It's the inspiration that we derive that matters.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Last edited by shattamakar at Dec 12, 2009,
I try and be as good as I can be. It's difficult to override the constant waves of cynicism, hatred and downright asshattery that churn in my soul, but I manage.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Quote by aaciseric

I saw the same video!

I can't remember what it was called either though
"so many"? I'd say we don't have enough people like that.
When I look at what people around me are doing (and not what rhey are sayin!) I always find that there are not enough generous people.

And I can't even count myself, I'm an egoistical self-centered person :P well, not really, I help much around me, but only friends and familly. The other one could die around me, I wouldn't give a damn...

[EDIT] " It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you." ;-)
Last edited by Djaydjay at Dec 12, 2009,
Quote by Harmonius

how do you know that? just because the dudes poor doesnt mean all he care for is money, thats what people WITH money do
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by bass-man9712
how do you know that? just because the dudes poor doesnt mean all he care for is money, thats what people WITH money do

All updates are on the first post. Read
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Harmonius
All updates are on the first post. Read

Clever idea, sorts out the people who only read the first post before they reply.

Anyway, I wouldn't consider myself a "beautiful person" in either sense of the word. I hold the door open for people, and give up my seat to old people on the bus, but that's just common politeness. I don't go out of my way to help people.
Quote by Minkaro
Clever idea, sorts out the people who only read the first post before they reply.

Anyway, I wouldn't consider myself a "beautiful person" in either sense of the word. I hold the door open for people, and give up my seat to old people on the bus, but that's just common politeness. I don't go out of my way to help people.

That is a very rare commodity today. Thank you for preserving it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Beautiful people? Ghandi was a racist who believed the natives of Africa couldn't be civilised, the Dali Lama believes he's an hereditary God King who funds military causes, Martin Luther King Jr. was barely loyal to his wife and let's not forget that Nelson Mandela was a man who killed people. He was a terrorist. Mother Teressa? She was a sadist who believed that suffering itself was the thing that brought people to Christ and made some hospices inadequate enough in order to fulfil this sentiment.

You're not going to find beautiful people, particularly as the well known 'beautiful' people of popularist culture are barely 'beautiful'. Screw that. Screw these ideals. Each and every one of us have fucked up and are bound to do immoral acts in the future.

That's enough for me though. I'm not going to thoroughly criticise myself by comparing myself to others and ask why I'm not better. I'll do better and that's enough for me. Everyone can do this, we don't need to make an idol out of anyone whilst we individually can be pretty cool people, and thus a pretty cool people on the whole.
Yes. I'm a beautiful person. F*cking sexy, is what I am.
No, really though.

There are a lot of good people in this world; the only problem is that we only hear about them a small fraction of the time that we spend here.
It's quite obvious that most of the time; we hear about the socially unacceptable, or incomprehensible morally twisted acts.
Which personally; I think is unintelligible, and illogical. If we want more good in this world; then we should express it a bit more too no?
Not that I'm saying that crime and death should be covered and ignored; of course not; but charity and help should get a lot more spotlight than it usually gets. They should get thanked more, and gain more for what they do; because, in the end, one tires if only working from the good in his/her heart (although there are some people who have a lot of that, and dedicate their entire lives to doing good with no compensation). There are very few of those people however.

Personally; I prefer animals to man. At least animals don't possess cruelty.
I suppose I am somewhat of a misanthropist; although I always try to keep a little bit of hope in humanity; because hey, there really is some good in this world. Although most of it is overshadowed by the amount of shit.
If someone does me some good; or helps me in some way; I will always be thankful, and will always try to help in return.

Sometimes it's not even something as radical as going out into Africa and helping diseased children and etc. As much as I do feel about it; I admit that I wouldn't go. I have aspirations and a future as well; and don't see it in that particular way.
Good manners and respect towards others is taken for granted really. I think it's a bit crap.
I was taught that way, and will always try to preserve being a good mannered person; and hopefully my kids will be that way too, someday.
Quote by Harmonius

If he WAS looking for money, solely; then at least he was trying to do something to gain it.
Last edited by EmancipatedSoul at Dec 12, 2009,
Quote by Minkaro

Why is that polite though? If it wasn't embedded into conventional manners then we'd consider it patronising. 'Can't open a door? Don't worry, the big strong stranger can take care of that!'
Quote by Craigo
Why is that polite though? If it wasn't embedded into conventional manners then we'd consider it patronising. 'Can't open a door? Don't worry, the big strong stranger can take care of that!'

I've never considered it patronizing.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
I've never considered it patronizing.

That's because it's embedded into conventional manners. If it wasn't, there's a distinctive chance people could see it as patronising.
Quote by Craigo
That's because it's embedded into conventional manners. If it wasn't, there's a distinctive chance people could see it as patronising.

... But it IS part of modern manners and, probably, quite a good idea rather than slamming doors in people's faces so we don't offend them by presuming they can't open doors.
Quote by Craigo

That's like saying if cars weren't invented people wouldn't drive.
Holding a door or opening it has probably been polite since doors were invented.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Kumanji
... But it IS part of modern manners and, probably, quite a good idea rather than slamming doors in people's faces so we don't offend them by presuming they can't open doors.

The only time I see it as being rational is in that scenario, and in the scenario where they actually need help opening it.

Manners are odd. I've got a very firm handshake which I took off my Granddad. He was a very hearty bloke and everyone knew that no-one had a firmer handshake than him. People like that about him, it was warm. When I came down here everyone wanted to give me a handshake when I first met them, which was a tad novel, and I gave them my firm handshake and some of them even took it as an explicit sign of aggression or dislike.

Damn social subtleties.
Quote by Jackal58
That's like saying if cars weren't invented people wouldn't drive.
Holding a door or opening it has probably been polite since doors were invented.

I'm not inclined to think so. Ahh well.
Last edited by Craigo at Dec 12, 2009,
Quote by Craigo
The only time I see it as being rational is in that scenario, and in the scenario where they actually need help opening it.

Manners are odd. I've got a very firm handshake which I took off my Granddad. He was a very hearty bloke and everyone knew that no-one had a firmer handshake than him. People like that about him, it was warm. When I came down here everyone wanted to give me a handshake when I first met them, which was a tad novel, and I gave them my firm handshake and some of them even took it as an explicit sign of aggression or dislike.

Damn social subtleties.

Heck, remind me to keep my distance from you if you're opening a door in front of me

And aren't social morés such a pain?
Quote by Craigo

Damn social subtleties.

I'm not inclined to think so. Ahh well.

A firm handshake is something everybody should work on. I hate it when somebody extends their hand and you think you've just grabbed a dead fish. Blech.

If we all thought the same this planet would be boring. Or naked.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Kumanji
Heck, remind me to keep my distance from you if you're opening a door in front of me

And aren't social morés such a pain?

They are. I'm not the best at picking up what's rude and what's not. I'm really easy going but I have a habit to accidentally offend people but not even know it.

For the record, I do hold doors open.
Quote by Craigo
Beautiful people? Ghandi was a racist who believed the natives of Africa couldn't be civilised, the Dali Lama believes he's an hereditary God King who funds military causes, Martin Luther King Jr. was barely loyal to his wife and let's not forget that Nelson Mandela was a man who killed people. He was a terrorist. Mother Teressa? She was a sadist who believed that suffering itself was the thing that brought people to Christ and made some hospices inadequate enough in order to fulfil this sentiment.

You're not going to find beautiful people, particularly as the well known 'beautiful' people of popularist culture are barely 'beautiful'. Screw that. Screw these ideals. Each and every one of us have fucked up and are bound to do immoral acts in the future.

?

Ok yeah, I realise that Kropotkin wasn't a saint (His support for world war one for example), but my point is I don't think you can use the popularist examples of 'beautiful' people to prove that no such thing exists. Indeed many people have fought for noble causes only to be relegated to the dustbin of history because it conflicts with the standard liberal-democratic line. And "fucking up" doesn't mean that you aren't a good person.

I kind of get the sentiment of your post though.
Quote by Jackal58
A firm handshake is something everybody should work on. I hate it when somebody extends their hand and you think you've just grabbed a dead fish. Blech.

If we all thought the same this planet would be boring. Or naked.

I know what you mean on that, nice analogy

But the thing is, most people do think the same. We're so inclined to see what's different that we don't realise that 99% of everything about us is the same.
Quote by Nietsche

Ok yeah, I realise that Kropotkin wasn't a saint (His support for world war one for example), but my point is I don't think you can use the popularist examples of 'beautiful' people to prove that no such thing exists. Indeed many people have fought for noble causes only to be relegated to the dustbin of history because it conflicts with the standard liberal-democratic line. And "fucking up" doesn't mean that you aren't a good person.

I kind of get the sentiment of your post though.

Kropotkin would rank very high up the list if such a paragon was to exist.

The idea that we all mess up was a sentiment of my post. We all know that we mess up and that's why we're not bad people. We can do better and we do so.

Probably worth also noting that we are good people the vast majority of the time.
Quote by Craigo
I know what you mean on that, nice analogy

But the thing is, most people do think the same. We're so inclined to see what's different that we don't realise that 99% of everything about us is the same.

That's our shared humanity shining through. Just think how fucked up the world would be if we were 2% different.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Craigo
Kropotkin would rank very high up the list if such a paragon was to exist.

The idea that we all mess up was a sentiment of my post. We all know that we mess up and that's why we're not bad people. We can do better and we do so.

Probably worth also noting that we are good people the vast majority of the time.

The way you wrote it it didn't quite come across that well.

Last part is interesting, and true. Many people focus too much on the bad things that people do and ignore that that's only what's happening 1% of the time. People are way too pessimistic
Quote by Nietsche
The way you wrote it it didn't quite come across that well.

Last part is interesting, and true. Many people focus too much on the bad things that people do and ignore that that's only what's happening 1% of the time. People are way too pessimistic

I accidentally omitted it, sorry 'bout that.

And yeah. Getting sick of hearing 'PEOPLE SUCK WE KILL AND RAPE AND TORTURE'. No, to anyone who's reading this, no. That is not normal human behaviour. How many murderers do you know?
Quote by Craigo
Martin Luther King Jr. was barely loyal to his wife

...So?
She knew he cheated on her, she didn't seem to care. Their relationship was different from the norm.
I don't see that that makes him any less virtuous at all.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Craigo
I accidentally omitted it, sorry 'bout that.

And yeah. Getting sick of hearing 'PEOPLE SUCK WE KILL AND RAPE AND TORTURE'. No, to anyone who's reading this, no. That is not normal human behaviour. How many murderers do you know?

Give it another 30 years and you'll probably know one or two yourself.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Ur all $h1t
...So?
She knew he cheated on her, she didn't seem to care. Their relationship was different from the norm.
I don't see that that makes him any less virtuous at all.

Oh. If it was an open relationship, that's cool, never heard of that before.
Quote by Jackal58

Give it another 30 years and you'll probably know one or two yourself.

I specifically asked murderers because I know rapists unfortunately. But out all of the people you've ever met in your life, three is a low number. It's an unfortunate number, but it's still very low.
Last edited by Craigo at Dec 12, 2009,
Page 1 of 4