can someone please direct me to an existing thread if there already is one? I just need someone to lay out the things to look out for before playing live and some common problems that come up when playing live! thanks for any help
couldnt find a decent thread,

I would say bring a spare guitar definately.

Have a tuner with you (on your pedalboard is best so it doesnt take too much time to re tune) and when you are tuning up have the frontman banter with the crowd.

Make sure your songs are tight and you know the endings and timings and everything.

Keep eye contact with the audience and only look at your members of the band a little, but make sure to look like you're having fun.

If you're playing a solo move to center stage or to the front and dont look at your guitar, look at the crowd and eye contact!

Make sure you have a soundcheck with a friend who knows something about music, tell him or her to tell who to turn down regardless of what they think, dont be competing for volume.

Try and get some monitors cos it is hard to play well without them as you can't here the intsrumens coherently but it can be done if you dont have one.

Can't think of much more at the moment, but if someone ****s up just keep playing! do not stop! and finally just look like you are having fun and enjoy your self, i find a pint or a shot helps me loosen up before i play bu take some water on with you to stop getting a dry mouth or dehydrated.
good luck
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Make sure you know where the electrics are. Oddly, stage hands have a habit of unplugging you for a laugh. Tune as a band in as close to stage conditions as you can. My first gig we had to tune in the car park in December. Make sure any batteries are new/charged. Don't try to play to your limits. Playing the simpler things that you can do in your sleep won't sound bad but f*cking up something you can only just play is a mess. All these things will help your confidence so you can relax and enjoy the work. Try to enjoy it and respond to the crowd. Have something planned for a wind-down afterwards, as the adrenaline rush is huge.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

In my experience I always found that no matter how much you practice in the basement, the first time on stage is going to be a huge NEW experience.

That first time can be very awkward no matter how much you practiced.

Many times I'll put a band together for some big show or event that's going on. Instead of going from the basement directly to the big show, I'll get some gigs at really small blubs, coffee houses, or parties just to get every one on stage...practicing how it's going to go down live. Essentially after we learn the tunes a bit, I take it out of the basement and we start practicing on stage.

And, the biggest pointer I can give you is, once you learn a few songs, put your songs in a list and practice them as a setlist playing from the top one right down to the last one, with no breaks. This will help everyone REALLY solidify the beginnings of tunes and putting the rest of the tune in perspective from the first note. This really cuts down the talking between songs and makes things more productive and professional once you hit the stage.

So, practice the tunes a few times then start practicing on stage, and always practice a setlist (or show) instead of just songs at random.
Last edited by MikeDodge at Dec 12, 2009,
Quote by Pumpkin_Howie
can someone please direct me to an existing thread if there already is one? I just need someone to lay out the things to look out for before playing live and some common problems that come up when playing live! thanks for any help

You will fnd that the things you know and apply when playing live and feel confident about it, shrink to about 10 percent of what you know when you are not playing live with the added stress of appearing in front of strangers live without a net. Your musicle response is only about half as fast as when you arent playing live. This is due to nerves and the tendency to second guess yourself from the stress. Be ready for it, and the only way that can gradually improve is by playing live and learning from each event. Initially though, its quite stressful.