well.......which one?

these guitars are around the same price and i like them both. i play all kinds of rock/metal.

i think i would prefer the gibson but im not sure of the pickups are decent enough for metal?

any suggestions?

thanks.
Personally, I would go with the LTD. The Viper comes with EMG's which are preferable to a lot of metal players.
If you've played them both and you prefer the Gibson though, go with the Gibson. Its your money, your guitar, and ultimately your choice.
Any pickup will work for metal, EMGs aren't as good as people think.

But that said, LTDs ARE good. Gibson are too, though.

Up to you. I like the LTD Viper Deluxe (the white one), and have a Gibbo SG, so basically, get both. :P
Depends a lot on what kind of rock/metal you play, what kind of tone are you in pursuit of... Gibson SG is generally known for it's loud mid bite, so it'll be quite powerful, but more suited to raunchy, rude rock tones than for darker, mid-scooped metal tones, that the Viper will, no doubt, deliver beautifully.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by The^Unforgiven
Depends a lot on what kind of rock/metal you play, what kind of tone are you in pursuit of... Gibson SG is generally known for it's loud mid bite, so it'll be quite powerful, but more suited to raunchy, rude rock tones than for darker, mid-scooped metal tones, that the Viper will, no doubt, deliver beautifully.

True word, but the SG can do those scooped metal tones as well, but sounds very organic at the same time.

I'd go with the Gibson, I've played both and the Gibson really can do ANY sort of music, except for funk maybe.
Actually both are great, and besides the differences or criteria pointed out earlier, another important question is - what kind of amp you have. If you have a all digital amp like Vypyr or Cube then don't a guitar with EMGs
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Is this to be the last guitar you buy? If you ever want to trade it in for something else, there is no contest. The Gibbo wins by a street. Actually, the SG faded is one of the best value guitars Gibson ever released as you get quality Gibson parts and a cheaper paint job. In 20 years it will look much the same as its more expensive brothers.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

i play anything from acdc to metallica and i have an orange tiny terror amp and a bos mt2 pedal. and yes, this shall hopefully be the last guitar i buy
Well if you can try them out at the store and find a good faded SG, then I'd go that way. I've played quite a few ones that were made poorly, but you come across some nice ones occassionally. That being said, if you are buy them over the internet, the Viper will have more consistant quality. Trade value will be higher on a SG as well due to the name.
Ibanez S7320
Peavey 5150 + Mesa 2x12 Rectifier
Id grab the Gibson in one second.
It will do great for everything from AC/DC to Metallica. Angus Young of AC/DC still uses his signature SG with his Signature Pups. and Metallica used to Use Gibsons with stock pups back when their tone didnt stink up the room. Ever since they've switched to EMG's its gone down hill.
The Gibson simply out performs the LTD.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

GET THE ESP!!! The SG Special Faded is a total piece of garbage. I've owned one. Again, go with the ESP. The SG Special Faded is a complete waste of money. It doesn't stay in tune, the pickups are muddy, and the lack of finish on the neck adversely affects the playability. GET THE ESP!!!
Go with the ESP, if you play more metal.

Go with the Gibson, if you play more rock.

I'd go with the ESP.
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
Quote by rock rocks
i play anything from acdc to metallica and i have an orange tiny terror amp and a bos mt2 pedal. and yes, this shall hopefully be the last guitar i buy
Right, so get the Gibson then.

The LTD's active pickups aren't going to mesh well with that pedal. In fact if you use a metal distortion pedal, you're completely defeating the point of using active pickups for metal. With a distortion pedal, active pickups are going to be no more ''metal'' than a Fender Wide Range humbucker. Even if you were to progress on from using the pedal, the passive pickups and brighter tone of the Gibson are going to be more versatile and cope better going from AC/DC to Metallica type stuff on the fly, whereas with the active pickups and darker tone of the LTD, you're going to be re-EQing your amp quite drastically whenever you want to remotely change up your playing style.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
lol, there seems to be mixed views here, as i expected, but really will the Gibson be able to keep up with the ESP?...i dont play anything heavier than metallica so would the Gibson sufice?
Quote by rock rocks
lol, there seems to be mixed views here, as i expected, but really will the Gibson be able to keep up with the ESP?...i dont play anything heavier than metallica so would the Gibson sufice?

The Gibson will do, but you'll find 3 months later you wish you bought the ESP.
The gibson is infinietly better. You definietly don't want emg's with a distortion pedal. The gibson is loads more versatile, better pickups, and will sound AWESOME for rock like ac/dc through your tiny terror!

Try em both out if you don't believe me!
Quote by dotheFlop
The gibson is infinietly better. You definietly don't want emg's with a distortion pedal. The gibson is loads more versatile, better pickups, and will sound AWESOME for rock like ac/dc through your tiny terror!

Try em both out if you don't believe me!

Distortion pedal? Definatley not the ESP.

But you will find your battling with your guitar as opposed to loving it.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
The Gibson will do, but you'll find 3 months later you wish you bought the ESP.

that depends on whether you get a gibson that's right for you or not really... they are all very unique and individual, and if you find one that's just right you never regret the purchase.

Quote by Banana Wedgie
But you will find your battling with your guitar as opposed to loving it.

uhh.. what? in what way would he be battling with it?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by Blompcube
that depends on whether you get a gibson that's right for you or not really... they are all very unique and individual, and if you find one that's just right you never regret the purchase.

I know what your saying, I'd never buy a Gibson unless its the one I demo thats at a store.