I Just got a Fender CD140SCE NAT acoustic/electric steel string new from musiciansfriend... I really like the sound and action on it, but it has one very annoying problem, it has very bad fret buzz at the 10th fret of the 1st 2nd and 3rd strings... it's worst on the b string, and some subtle fret buzz on the 1st and 2nd strings at fret 9 as well. - I am tempted to return it, but it was actually bought by my job and I am overseas and that is just a big hassle, if I can fix it and learn how to deal with these sort of problems, that would be great

I am wondering if I should attempt a truss rod adjustment, and I cant remember for this... should I tighten or loosen the truss rod for this case? - Other than that, the action is awesome, it's like playing an electric it's so easy, so I can deal with having to raise the action a little bit if that is the only way around it...

I also heard of a Luthier trick, and that's to file down the fret wire before the problematic fret, so I would really like some suggestions on this, and please feel free to gve as much detail as possible, I am pretty novice with this kind of thing but interested always in learning.

Thanks.
Good description in your OP. Don't mess with your truss rod.
It sounds like your 11th fret has popped slightly. Look carefully at it.
Is there a slight gap between the flange of the fret and the board in the area near the b string?
If so, you maybe be able to use a wood or plastic block and hammer it back into place.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Thanks! Yeah, there was a very slight gap on the fretwire dividing the 11th and 12th fret, I pushed down on it hardly just with my fingers and it showed some improvement, I just tried with a wood block and hammer and it already improved almost 100% ... now there is only a little bit of fret buzz on the B string at the 10th fret only, - it's a huge improvement but still a little it of fret buzz left, not sure if there is anything else I can do to fix this?

Anyway, thanks again, glad it was a simple fix and to get good advice on this before I started to meddle with the truss rod.
Well, if you only have a little buzz left, you might just raise the action slightly, till it goes away, cause it seems like you fixed the major problem, or you could try hammering all the frets in just to make sure all the frets are in there really good. And that might solve your problem.
Don't mess with your action. If the frets are seated properly, the next step is to see if they are level. Get the straightest straightedge or piece of machined metal or glass you can find and lay it across 3-4 frets in the problem area. See if any are sticking up more than the others.
Quote by Hassassin777
Thanks! Yeah, there was a very slight gap on the fretwire dividing the 11th and 12th fret, I pushed down on it hardly just with my fingers and it showed some improvement, I just tried with a wood block and hammer and it already improved almost 100% ... now there is only a little bit of fret buzz on the B string at the 10th fret only, - it's a huge improvement but still a little it of fret buzz left, not sure if there is anything else I can do to fix this?

Anyway, thanks again, glad it was a simple fix and to get good advice on this before I started to meddle with the truss rod.
Sure. And it won't take much effort at all.

Get a flat sharpening stone. The kind you would use for sharpening a knife. Not a used one. Brand new, so it's FLAT. Bridge across several frets and "sand" them with light pressure. If any of them are standing proud, they'll get the most work done on them. With just a minute or two of work, you'll remove just enough of the top of that fret in the area where it's too tall.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.