Page 1 of 2
I was searching for a free alternative to Guitar Pro 5, so that I could open Guitar Pro 5 tabs and not have to pay $60 for the program (way too much in my opinion). I found a great free alternative called TuxGuitar, and it works perfectly! Also, it supports Windows, Macs, and Linux. You can download it for free (and legally) here:

http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/download.html

And no, I was not paid to say this. I am not affiliated with TuxGuitar at all. I just wanted to let all of you know that you could open Guitar Pro tabs without paying a ridiculous amount of money.
i love tux guitar, been using for like a year now
GENERIC SIGNATURE
Whoa...so you can use this to open guitar pro tabs? And do everything guitar pro can? Thats pretty sweet
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
I don't have a choice whether i use this as i have linux and its the only way i can use gp files, but i honestly prefer it to Guitar Pro.
Call me Matthew.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
'Ridiculous price'?

£40 is not a ridiculous price.

Agreed. GP is an awesome program, support the little French company making it.
has a terrible signature.
I use Sibelius 6 and TuxGuitar.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by wesselbindt
In what way is GP better? Just because it costs money?

It doesn't seem worth it at first, but once you've used it for a while and get the full potential out of it, it's really worth much more than it costs. If my pirated version ever stopped working, I'd definitely legitimately buy it.
What Tux Guitar version should I install if I have Windows XP?
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit
It doesn't seem worth it at first, but once you've used it for a while and get the full potential out of it, it's really worth much more than it costs. If my pirated version ever stopped working, I'd definitely legitimately buy it.

+1

And for people that complain that the tones of the guitars suck in GP5, the banks are very very easily modded.
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit

Why not support the people distributing the superior product for free with a 40 dollar donation?
Quote by archangels666
TuxGuitar opens Guitar Pro and Power Tab files.

I don't know how I ever survived without it, to be honest.

Though this isn't really the place to talk about it.

To be fair, so does GP5.
Quote by wesselbindt
Still, no one has explained in what way GP's better.

Tux is the superior product. In one intrinsic, non subjective way, it opens powertab files as well.

EDIT: Didn't know GP did as well.

Ok, onto other reasons I guess. The score editing is cleaner, in my opinion. It doesn't bunch the notes together.
Last edited by captaincrunk at Dec 12, 2009,
Quote by wesselbindt
Still, no one has explained in what way GP's better.

I don't like the way tux edits stuff. It adds in notes. So if everything is in quarters and i want one eighth in the middle and another one somewhere else. I change the value of one quarter, and it adds a rest, then i delete the rest and another one is added. I like to have more control over the way I edit my score and don't want Tux filling in everything for me.

I have yet to figure out how to copy notes instead of bars in Tux.

Volume changes over bars, tempo changes over bars don't seem to have support.

Guitar Pro's layout is cleaner in terms of mixers, instruments, chorus/reverb/tremelo/phaser effects. Tux's tuning system doesn't have presets (or at least I couldn't find any). And If you know how to use the RSE system in GP5, it's quite nice.

That being said, although I don't consider Tux as good as GP5 in anyway. It is an impressive product, since it is free. It's somewhere between PowerTab and GuitarPro, closer to the latter. If you, are unable to pirate GP5, and hate PowerTab, then yeah, get Tux. It's only 8MB (a pirated version of GP5 without the RSE banks is also 8MB).

EDIT: I was not amused when Tux changed my file associations of .ptb and .gp5/4/3. It should ask... and that's not being picky. It's my damn computer
Last edited by Limaj_daas at Dec 12, 2009,
But there is no RSE!

I aint saying its a good as a recording but its better than the semi-midi stuff!

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Quote by Limaj_daas
I don't like the way tux edits stuff. It adds in notes. So if everything is in quarters and i want one eighth in the middle and another one somewhere else. I change the value of one quarter, and it adds a rest, then i delete the rest and another one is added. I like to have more control over the way I edit my score and don't want Tux filling in everything for me.

I have yet to figure out how to copy notes instead of bars in Tux.

Volume changes over bars, tempo changes over bars don't seem to have support.

Guitar Pro's layout is cleaner in terms of mixers, instruments, chorus/reverb/tremelo/phaser effects. Tux's tuning system doesn't have presets (or at least I couldn't find any). And If you know how to use the RSE system in GP5, it's quite nice.

That being said, although I don't consider Tux as good as GP5 in anyway. It is an impressive product, since it is free. It's somewhere between PowerTab and GuitarPro, closer to the latter. If you, are unable to pirate GP5, and hate PowerTab, then yeah, get Tux. It's only 8MB (a pirated version of GP5 without the RSE banks is also 8MB).

EDIT: I was not amused when Tux changed my file associations of .ptb and .gp5/4/3. It should ask... and that's not being picky. It's my damn computer

You can change that...

You can change volume over NOTES in tux using the piano/forte/etc. You have something like 9 options there. You can even do it making some notes of a chord quieter etc. It makes it great for midi composing! And you can change tempo every bar. And triplet feels etc.

In regard to "filling in the rest of the bar" I've never really felt it was a problem. IT doesn't actually change anything, and if you weren't going to use the next 8th you just change it back, but I can see how you would feel that way.
Quote by captaincrunk
You can change that...

You can change volume over NOTES in tux using the piano/forte/etc. You have something like 9 options there. You can even do it making some notes of a chord quieter etc. It makes it great for midi composing! And you can change tempo every bar. And triplet feels etc.

In regard to "filling in the rest of the bar" I've never really felt it was a problem. IT doesn't actually change anything, and if you weren't going to use the next 8th you just change it back, but I can see how you would feel that way.

Dude, you can do the forte/mezzo forte/piano thing in GP too. I was talking specifically about the F5 function which lets you do stuff over bars in GP.
Thanks for the tip, man. I haven't heard of this program, and it looks great.
Seamonkey has my money!

Quote by shattamakar
My dog came into my room while I was fapping.
I couldn't look Wolfie in the eye for a week.
Quote by captaincrunk
Why not support the people distributing the superior product for free with a 40 dollar donation?

Because it's not tax deductible?
coolz, im gonna try it out eventually
Rofl?

Lol Cross. The Power of LOL Compels you!
TuxGuitar has only recently gone into its 1.2 version though, so it's got a long way to go before it has as many features as GP5.
Call me Matthew.
I use Tuxguitar.

The only thing is that it tends to slow down other programs when playing, and messes up repeats at times.
Quote by Limaj_daas
Dude, you can do the forte/mezzo forte/piano thing in GP too. I was talking specifically about the F5 function which lets you do stuff over bars in GP.
F5 is the song Title, Artist, Album, ect. F10 is the mixer.

I used tux for a while and it was impressive, but I love all the features for Pro.
Quote by captaincrunk

Because the program isn't anywhere near as good as Guitar Pro. RSE owns the shit out of MIDI. And it's only going to get better in the upcoming version, far more instruments in RSE, and being able to choose your amp modelling like this.
Yeah, the RSE is the main thing that makes me prefer Guitar Pro as well.
Page 1 of 2