Page 1 of 2
Hey i've had the chance to test a couple of amps over here as i said few days ago and id definately say peavey's off my list.
Its blackstar HT 5 and the Marshall Class 5
Which one would suit my needs best as i'm mainly playing rock (guns n roses) and stuff like that ,
im looking for that crunchy ,crushing, breaking up sound from an amp , want to archieve that slash tone.

I noticed the class 5 isnt that versitile, can i get the tones i need quietly enough, playing at my flat? Im really wondering if it can play good at low volumes becouse i heard the volume on that amp pretty much affected tone. Also do you think i could archieve that slash sound with only the 3 knobs on the amp?

Right now im playing on a bc rich mockingbird st with rockfield mafia pickups, is it going to make a big difference in archieving the tone i want if i switch them to duncan alnico 2 pro?

Thanks
^The class 5 isn't an MG with tubes, it is very bluesbreaker sounding, really great amp for blues/classic rock
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Well ive heard the HT 5 on some reviews , it sounds great and it could sound great at low volume as well but it doesnt have that crunchy, breaking up sound that marshall has. Or am i wrong?
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Don't quote me on this, but I've been heard that the Class 5 is a tube version of the MG. It may be wrong, but regardless. Thats what I've heard.

And yes, the HT 5 will sound great playing Guns N Roses.

You might be thinking of the Marshall Haze being like an MG with tubes.
Gear
Gibson SG Standard with Bare Knuckle Riff Raff and Stormy Monday
Fender Eric Clapton Signature Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fulltone OCD
EHX Holy Grail Nano
BYOC Tone Bender Clone
Korg Pitchblack
Fender Bassman '59 Reissue
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Don't quote me on this, but I've been heard that the Class 5 is a tube version of the MG. It may be wrong, but regardless. Thats what I've heard.

Sigged and I could kill you for your MG with t00bz comment.

@TS: The Class 5 won't give you the gain you need even if you crank it up all the way AFAIK.

The HT-5 is probably a better choice for you.
Anyway you won't get Slash's sound that easily.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
On the reviews i saw the marshall class 5 sounded pretty crunchy , really liked the tone.
Can it play good at low volume?
when will people realize the class 5 has no master volume and needs to be cranked for saturation?
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by Axel1933
But no good overdrive?

The Class 5's OD is great, but you won't be able to play it in your flat because you would need to play it louder than your neighbours will like it to achieve the overdrive, and you don't want conflicts with your neighbours and the police, right?

The HT-5 is a better choice since it has pre-amp gain.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
No new Marshall amp is an MG with tubes. Not the Haze, not the Class 5, not the MA series. They all sound VERY different from the MG.

On topic, the Class 5 has no gain knob or master volume, so it has to be loud to get breakup.

I'd go for the HT-5.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Ok so i guess Ht 5 would suit me better. But on the reviews i saw it was more of a solid sound, kind of not so crunchy and bluesy as the mashall, do you think i could archieve that crunchy sound with the Ht 5 aswell?
Quote by Axel1933
Ok so i guess Ht 5 would suit me better. But on the reviews i saw it was more of a solid sound, kind of not so crunchy and bluesy as the mashall, do you think i could archieve that crunchy sound with the Ht 5 aswell?

The gain knob has endless possibilities. Just turn it down and you get the crunch.

Besides, with hot pickups you don't need to drive the clean channel much to get the power tube crunch.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
So this pretty much turned my opinion around , i guess im going for the blackstar.
Could i archieve slash tone and breaking up tone from this amp?
She's not using her amp. It says that in the description >.<
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Last edited by Phantom123 at Dec 12, 2009,
Do you think i can use the Toneport UX1 through the pc and plugged into some sort of a cabinet?
You can use the Toneport together with an amp and cab simulation.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Banana Wedgie

whoever told you that should get shot. the class 5 is basically a mini JTM amplifier. much closer to a bluesbreaker.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Why did you blame me for what I heard?

Because you mixed up the Marshall Haze and the Class 5. Which is dumb.

Quote by Juadafi
1. The gain knob has endless possibilities. Just turn it down and you get the crunch.

2. Besides, with hot pickups you don't need to drive the clean channel much to get the power tube crunch.

1. That is really, really, really, not how it works. The Marshall Crunch has a lot more tonal characteristics than "Turn down the gain"

2. Once again, that's not how it works. He will not be able to get anything resembling a Marshall tone by playing hot pickups through the clean channel at any indoor friendly level.

Quote by Axel1933

The Ht 5 by itself would probably suit your more, volume wise. Tonewise I think the Class 5 would be a better match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce1fiU31MFU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1NAUGshmBc

Both these Clips are great examples of how good the Marshall Class 5 can sound.
If I were you, I'd get a good OD pedal (Like a Fulltone Fulldrive 2, a Fulltone OCD or a Lovepedal Purple Plexi, or something along those lines) and use that through the Class 5 if you have needs for playing at low volumes.
Alright so if i use the Marshall Class 5 with an overdrive pedal i could archieve the tone i want at low volumes then? Becouse thats pretty much what i was looking for

Do i need to add anything else to it?
Thank you very much. Also id like to ask is the class 5 a good amp to use with 59/ anico 2 pro pickups?
TS, you have quite a dilemma. If you could crank the Class 5 it would nail the tones you need, the HT-5 on the other hand would be fine for quiet playing but will not give you those tones.

It's gain is vintage-y but it's very compressed making it sound too modern to get those tones. It's hard to describe but Blackstars definitely have a tone of their own.

I say get the Class 5 and throw a nice OD in front if you won't be able to crank it much.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Yeah thats what i think i will do.
Can you reccomend me good OD pedal and is a 59 duncan / alnico 2 pro a good combination?
Will the class 5 come close to the Marshall JCM 800 sound that i wanna archieve?
I'm sure it would sound great with those pups. I think you might be able to coax JCM800 tones out of it although it's more meant to be like a Bluesbreaker or Plexi but it wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

The Jetter Gain Stage Purple is pretty much a Plexi-in-a-box, it'll give you great OD tones when you can't crank. If you want to hear some great quality videos of pedals (especially boutique), check out the proguitarshop demos on youtube. They are good quality and give a good overview of it's features and tones.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Thanks a lot man, will check the reviews, kinda turned around my choice again. (really wanted to get class 5 but then i wanted to play it at low volume).
Quote by Axel1933
Yeah thats what i think i will do.
Can you reccomend me good OD pedal and is a 59 duncan / alnico 2 pro a good combination?
Will the class 5 come close to the Marshall JCM 800 sound that i wanna archieve?

OK, I think you are a bit confused.

You won't get the sound of a ~1500$ 100W amp from a 400$ 5W amp.

New pickups won't help you much to get this sound either.

For the pedal get a Tube Screamer like the Maxon 808 or the Bad Monkey if you don't have much money.

Don't try desperately to achieve Slash's sound, you probably won't be able to do that.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I know i can nail exact slash tone with class 5 but id like to get near that sound without having to have a pc around.
Last edited by Axel1933 at Dec 13, 2009,
alright but i'm just telling you that if you get the HT-5 hoping to get that classic Marshall sound, you WILL be disappointed.

It sounds great, just doesn't really suit you. The Class 5 + OD would get exactly what you want though
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
Yep, i didn't say i was going for a Ht -5. Im getting the Class 5 + OD pedal.
Thanks to you for coming up with a way for me to play at low volume.
Quote by Axel1933
I know i can nail exact slash tone with Toneport Ux 1 but id like to get near that sound without having to have a pc around.

You won't even get his sound with the Toneport.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Axel1933
JesusCrisp,
just check this out - http://www.youtube.com/user/lowa91
or don't cry

All with a toneport UX1
i cant hope to get anything better than that

*leaves thread*
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I think the HT-5 has a great crunch tone. I play mostly AC/DC and Guns N Roses, and i think this amp does it quite well. I havent played the Marshall, so I'm not going to comment on that. But here's the video that pretty much sold me on the HT-5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WDzcAd1evo

Good luck with whatever choice you make, either way you'll get a great amp.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Quote by JesusCrisp
OK, I think you are a bit confused.

You won't get the sound of a ~1500$ 100W amp from a 400$ 5W amp.

New pickups won't help you much to get this sound either.

For the pedal get a Tube Screamer like the Maxon 808 or the Bad Monkey if you don't have much money.

Don't try desperately to achieve Slash's sound, you probably won't be able to do that.

Eh, I really don't think a TS is gonna do what the OP wants.
A class 5 with something like a Purple Plexi 800, is gonna TS closer to what he wants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u95FbRvqMU

Quote by Axel1933
JesusCrisp,
just check this out - http://www.youtube.com/user/lowa91
or don't cry

All with a toneport UX1
i cant hope to get anything better than that

Yes, you can.
She's not spot on, although close. And I can guarantee it doesn't sound that good through your speakers, or even outside of the mix. Secondly, it will never feel as good or respond the same as a decent tube amp.
purely because you probably won't be able crank the marshall class 5 i think you should get the ht5, they both have great tone but the ht5 has gain control which means you can get gain at low volume, if it was me i would go to local gitar store and try both because what i like you may hate.
Good Luck on making the choice mate its a difficult one :P
Quote by Pr0gNut
How dare you get all philosophical with logic and reasoning! This UG Sir,where one must blindly yell out opinions then viciously attack anyone who disagrees with said opinions.
Page 1 of 2