Alright, so I'm currently running a Marshall 1960A cab with my Peavey 6505+ head, and at first I thought it was a great idea. Now after playing around with it a whole lot I feel it is just way too much treble than I really would like. I don't feel that cab brings out the "beef" enough in the tube tone, and ends up making the amp sound rather sterile.

What I'm asking is what cabs you know of that give the amp a solid (while tight) low end, that still shows off the head's powerful mid-range attack without sounding like a tin can. I've been looking at Orange and Mesa, but I don't know which ones are going to be the best yet as I have not actually plugged my head into them. Any help before I goto a guitar shop would be awesome.

PS: I play mainly Prog metal, metal/hardcore, but i want something that can have a good twist of clean as well (perhaps with the use of another head).
-GEAR-

Schecter C-1 XXX
Squier Fender Stratocaster
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960A Lead Cabinet
Peavey Studio Pro 112
MXR Carbon Copy

Check out my band:www.myspace.com/silentsurrendertx
well i run my 6505 through a marshall 1936 which is basically a 1960 except with two speakers instead of four, and its the sexiest sound ever. all amps sound best when run through a marshall cab, so i'd go for the 1936 or the 1960, although the 1936 is easier to carry around, costs less, and is definitely loud enough

EDIT : i didn't even read your post XD

well personally i think sticking to the 1960 is a good idea, maybe get a preamp to get a better tone out of it, thats what im currently doing
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
Last edited by matt360 at Dec 12, 2009,
I say Mesa Rectifier cab, Peavey Triple XXX cab (if you can find one), or a Fryette Deliverance or Fat Bottom cab
oversized mesa cab w/ vintage 30s

EDIT: I would not get a peavey cabinet. it would definitely be a downgrade from the 1960. peavey cabs, especially the 6505 and windsor cab...lack low end terribly. which isn't going to help your problem.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Dec 12, 2009,
I am using a Randall XLTX 412 loaded with Vintage 30's and T75's in a x pattern(It comes loaded like this)- it has all the beefy low end while being tight and not boomy. All V30's in the XL cab is also a great way to go IMO.
Mesa cabs-well you already know- are awsome.
If you are buying new-Mills acoustics gets alot of great reviews.
Try a eq pedal first before going and getting a new cab.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by ChuggyMcBr00tlz
Try a eq pedal first before going and getting a new cab.

i second this. i was shocked at how much even a cheap eq pedal did for me.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Alright, so I hadn't planned on getting a Peavey cab to begin with. I didn't get one then and I don't really plan on getting one now. Not a fan of the sheffield speakers (atleast from what I played). The EQ pedal idea intrigues me though. Anyone have any good recommendations, disregarding budget?
-GEAR-

Schecter C-1 XXX
Squier Fender Stratocaster
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960A Lead Cabinet
Peavey Studio Pro 112
MXR Carbon Copy

Check out my band:www.myspace.com/silentsurrendertx
disregarding budget, id say mxr 108 10 band eq.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by matt360
well i run my 6505 through a marshall 1936 which is basically a 1960 except with two speakers instead of four, and its the sexiest sound ever. all amps sound best when run through a marshall cab

ಠ_ಠ

Most modern Marshall cabs aren't that great. In fact, they're somewhat overpriced and undertoned (particularly the 1960) which is partly the fault of modern Celestions, and partly because they've grown complacent with their status in the amp world. A vintage Marshall cab is another matter entirely.

Check out the Genz Benz G-Flex cabs in addition to Mesa and Orange.

Make sure your Marshall's screws are down tight. It has a significant effect on how your amp sounds, believe me.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Hands down a Vader. They sound incredible with nearly any amp, especially Peavey's, especially for anything heavy/metal.

They handle low end amazingly well. Tight, beefy bass and clear/articulate highs. They are loaded with custom Eminence Legends and are perhaps they most solidly build cabs on the market (ask anyone).

Another great cab are VHT/Fryette Fat Bottoms.
Quote by )(yperX
Hands down a Vader. They sound incredible with nearly any amp, especially Peavey's, especially for anything heavy/metal.

They handle low end amazingly well. Tight, beefy bass and clear/articulate highs. They are loaded with custom Eminence Legends and are perhaps they most solidly build cabs on the market (ask anyone).

Another great cab are VHT/Fryette Fat Bottoms.

Vader cabs suck, this hype needs to end, wait till you mic one up and you hear the headphone mix of it live or in the studio you'll die a bit
Quote by CatharsisStudio
Vader cabs suck, this hype needs to end, wait till you mic one up and you hear the headphone mix of it live or in the studio you'll die a bit

Yeah, I was wondering if anyone's figured out how to mic those cabs and get a good sounding recording yet...
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Buy an EQ.
If in 2 months time you still don't dig the sound, buy 2 V30's and use them in an x pattern to focus the mids and highs. Much better speaker to record with. Oh btw, If your inside about 3 meters (10 feet) of a g12t-75, all you hear is the treble that it's throwing, try stepping back a bit, it's a great speaker for live performances, but miced and up close it doesn't sound to great.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Notice the OP never said he wanted a cab for recording. Sure Vader's don't sound the best for recording. But they beat the sh!t out of anything live.
I hated my 1960 with my 5150. G12T-75s are just not a good match for that amp IMO.

One thing I would suggest you do though before you rule the 1960 out completely is take a look at this video and do what is suggested, I've heard that it improves those cabs quite a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mze7-zhkx-4
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com