I always end up seeing the tabs that I submit for Ultimate Guitar being used on other tab sites (Tabspedia, FretPlay, MegaChords, etc). This is not necessarily something I appreciate, being that I write these tabs exclusively for Ultimate Guitar. If these other tab sites want tabs, they can have their own users create content. How is it that they are allowed to do this? Are these other tab sites just stealing them and using them as their own, or is Ultimate Guitar selling them to these other sites? If they are stealing them outright, why doesnt UG do anything about it? If UG is selling out tabs, what does that mean for us contributors? Shouldnt we be compensated if UG is selling content that we wrote specifically for them, or at least make us aware that they do this?
Just googled some of the titles I have tabbed out for UG. On 911 all other guitar sites use my tab(Sunny Goodge Street, Cigarette Smoke). Doesn't it say that the tab is the author's work?!?!?
Quote by PrincessJoe
Just googled some of the titles I have tabbed out for UG. On 911 all other guitar sites use my tab(Sunny Goodge Street, Cigarette Smoke). Doesn't it say that the tab is the author's work?!?!?

Yeah, i wil admit that most of the tabs I see hosted on other sites do maintain my authorship at the top of it, but thats not what concerns me. What I dont like is that they are promoting their tab site with my work. It would be like if I wrote an album for Capitol Records to sell for me, but RCA really liked it too, so instead of trying to sign me to their label, they just copied my record and started selling it under their name, still using my band name, but just making money off of it.
Basically when you submit your tab(s) to UG (or any other free tab sites in the net), you somehow accept that you're sharing your tab with other users. As UG is a free tablature site, the other websites simply copy our tabs and put them in their site with or without credits.

imo nothing's wrong with that cuz the purpose of tabbing songs is to help others to find out how to play the songs. If you wanna sell your tabs, you should start your own private tab book.

And no, ug doesn't sell the tabs.
Quote by zappp
emad I'm gonna ban you, seriously.
Yeah I can see how that would bother you after going through all that trouble. But hey it's good that you're at least getting recognition for your work. I think the reason behind it is similar to lyrics. Sites can copy lyrics from one another because none of them have original rights to the content - the artists do. So when you make a tab for a band, UG can't claim ownership over it nor can any other site because it belongs to the artists. So basically you just end up with an anything goes type thing where sites are ripping content from each other.
I get shitpissed when they don't give me credit. But most of them do so I don't have a problem with it. I'm just happy that more people can learn to play songs.