Page 1 of 2
I'm feeling ambitious tonight.....I just ran like a mini thought experiment daydream thing in my head...

I'm graduating highschool soon... and I'm taking mech engineering. in college I plan to get a band together and play the music i write and get a fanbase, then after graduation, we'll send our demo/press kit/etc. to a label to get it distributed and licensed and stuff and like hopefully live the dream

So, you think my plan's gonna work? Or should I just get a real job and drop it becuase its not gonna happen?
Well it's not as easy as you made it sound but in 4 years of college you can put some great stuff together. If your willing to put in the practice, then nothing can stop you. Go for it man and good luck
TS, it really is that easy.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
You'll never make it, sorry. (Me being the only non-sarcastic realistic person in this thread).
Originally Posted by happytimeharry
Your avatar is creepy, yet incredibly hypnotic...

I do what I can

Originally Posted by FiNNi
@AlterEdge: On a side note, I laughed when I noticed pedobear was your avatar

Me too... me too...
Good to have dreams, man. I personally have 3-4 major, major ambitions in life... I figure if I succeed at even one of them then I've done well. It's good to have lots of hobbies and a career. Don't let women rule your life, that's for sure... Spend time with them, but not ALL of your time with them. The people who succeed are talented people who back that talent up with a shitload of hard, hard work.
Doomsday Arsenal - alternative/progressive
Fender '08 Am Std Strat w/ CS69s > MXR Classic 108 Fuzz > JH-1B Wah > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Big Muff Pi > Maxon OD9 > MXR Phase 90 > Ibanez CS9 > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss TU-2 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
You have the right idea.

Go for it.

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
**** these pessimistic assholes.... unfortunately its more of a WHO you know kinda deal... in this industry you want to have as many good friends and people watching your back as possible...dont do/say stupid stuff that can potentially come back to you and create enemies. Try to build good relationships with all the local bands, because they have fans that may not have heard of YOUR group...

If you stick to it, you can make anything happen.... and all the rockstars and bands and artists that have made over time it are a perfect example.

you need to STICK to it though, bottom line. dedication and hard work is KEY
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Dec 12, 2009,
Quote by AlterEdge
You'll never make it, sorry. (Me being the only non-sarcastic realistic person in this thread).

While it's true that the odds are not in his, our any of our favor for making ot big, the odds weren't in Metallica's, or The Beatles, or U2's or anyone's favor. If everyone gives up trying to play music than there won't be any bands anymore.

This guy probably won't be the next U2 or anything like that, but it's not like it's too much of a longshot to say that with good songwriting, marketing, and some luck that he could at least get some local shows and maybe eventually get signed to an indie record label. I mean, don't count on it, but it's always worth a try
I hate my sig
Quote by Cheesepuff
I'm feeling ambitious tonight.....I just ran like a mini thought experiment daydream thing in my head...

I'm graduating highschool soon... and I'm taking mech engineering. in college I plan to get a band together and play the music i write and get a fanbase, then after graduation, we'll send our demo/press kit/etc. to a label to get it distributed and licensed and stuff and like hopefully live the dream

So, you think my plan's gonna work? Or should I just get a real job and drop it becuase its not gonna happen?
1 - Get band
2 - Write music
3 - Play music
4 - Attract fans
5 - Send demo to record company
6 - Sign contract
7 - ?????????
8 - PROFIT!!!

meh, it might work. But yer gonna have a little problem with #5. Most record companies won't even listen to unsolicited demos. It puts them at a legal disadvantage in the event someone send them a demo that is similar to something one of their artists might release in the future. If no one from their company has ever heard your recording, you can't successfully sue them for "stealing" your song.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by QuantumMechanix
While it's true that the odds are not in his, our any of our favor for making ot big, the odds weren't in Metallica's, or The Beatles, or U2's or anyone's favor. If everyone gives up trying to play music than there won't be any bands anymore.

This guy probably won't be the next U2 or anything like that, but it's not like it's too much of a longshot to say that with good songwriting, marketing, and some luck that he could at least get some local shows and maybe eventually get signed to an indie record label. I mean, don't count on it, but it's always worth a try

Yeah, I'm trying to do the exact same thing However, I took a negative approach to his idea because he seems like a rude person to say about Ibanez what he has under his user name. He's too close minded and ignorant obviously to ever achieve this dream of many. [End Rant]
Originally Posted by happytimeharry
Your avatar is creepy, yet incredibly hypnotic...

I do what I can

Originally Posted by FiNNi
@AlterEdge: On a side note, I laughed when I noticed pedobear was your avatar

Me too... me too...
What's wrong with doing both? You have at least 4 years during college to try and make something of your band. If it doesn't happen, then you have a degree and can get a job and play at night. If it does then great! Also I'm not too sure but I don't think the send in a demo to the record company tactic works anymore. They get thousands of demo's all the time and chances are slim they will listen to yours and be inspired to give you a contract. You need to play a ton of shows, build up a fan base, and the record companies will find you.
Honestly, I say go for it, except for the label bit. Labels don't listen to unsolicited materials. I'd suggest go completely independent. Do all your own releases; there's enough resources out there to do it. But really, what do you have to lose? If it tanks, you still have a degree in Mechanical Engineering as a backup.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by Cheesepuff

I don't see the part in your plan that involves packing up all your stuff and living with 3 other guys out of a van for years on end, playing small shows to 20 people. Nobody gets a deal without sacrifice, and if you think you can do it without paying your dues (i.e., a DIY tour where you get to shower once a week if you're lucky), then I have some harsh news for you.
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
**** these pessimistic assholes.... unfortunately its more of a WHO you know kinda deal... in this industry you want to have as many good friends and people watching your back as possible...

That's not really just about knowing people, it's about being the kind of professional that knows how to do hardcore networking, promotion, PR, and how to create an atmosphere around your music. All of these things (even though your actually job isn't as promoter, manager, producer, etc.--all the things that made so that you know those people in the first place), not actual skill at composing or playing music, are what it takes to have a chance as succeeding in the music business or any arts business (IMO from someone who obviously hasn't made a career out of music, so take that for what it's worth).

Working hard is absolutely important, but you can't just work hard at being a great musician, you have to work hard at a being the kind of businessman dynamo I mention above. Be the person that actually creates a market for you music (and all the elements that entails) rather than just make your music. That or get lucky and ride the coattails of a band leader who can do all that stuff.

And to say the TS's skeletal plan isn't likely to single-handedly land him a label contract and success as a career level musician isn't pessimism, it's a realistic prediction made on the trends everyone can witness. Just because we don't think he is likely to succeed on those terms, it doesn't mean were pessimistic. And just because you have a positive attitude about everything, it doesn't mean you'll be able to achieve whatever dream you want.

TS, spend about 70% of your time creating a world where your music will succeed and 30% of your time making that music and I say your odds of success will go up exponentially.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by Myke.
Want to make it big!?
Than, Sell out.

I'd love to be the guitarist with Miley Cyrus or some other pop artists, if you consider that "selling out", I mean hell most of our dreams are to play music, I'd get to play in front of thousands of people and travel the world, doing what I love, playing music. You could make/play "popular" music and that can pay the bills, but you can still play the kind of music that you are passionate about, whether it be blue, metal, or what ever it is.

Would any of you honestly turn down a deal to go tour as a guitarist for a pop artist and get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars, travel the world, and play in front of thousands of people?

To the OP: Go for it man, you have everything setup and are being "safe" about it, aka you have a fall back plan. Work your ass off and good luck
Always aim high.

And always have a backup plan if you fall on your ass.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
I think people who think that bands trying to "Make it big" is stupid and pointless, are stupid themselves, I mean, new bands are popping up everywhere, just go read the new bands section in AP
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Quote by MusicMan24
I think people who think that bands trying to "Make it big" is stupid and pointless, are stupid themselves, I mean, new bands are popping up everywhere, just go read the new bands section in AP

Then ask the guys in those bands how many meals a day they can afford to ear that don't start with 'Mc.'
Also, the vast majority of those bands will not be together in 5 years, or even 2 years. And they will have not made a penny from their music. Hell, some may very well be in debt. But hey, if that's your definition of making it, go for it. Just don't expect me to trade credit ratings with you when you try to buy a home.
Quote by scguitarking927

Would any of you honestly turn down a deal to go tour as a guitarist for a pop artist and get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars, travel the world, and play in front of thousands of people?

I guarantee that I would turn down said deal.
^ I would so go for it.

I might even be able to influence Miley herself to make more quality music!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I'd take that deal too. I'd get to play with a group of talented musicians, travel the world, make loads of new connections, and garantee a comfortable life for myself and my family.

Being an artist is one thing, I wouldn't sell out as a composer, and I wouldn't compramise my own visions... But being a professional musician is a different concept, if you'd turn down the chance to play with great musicians simply because the person hiring you is famous, than you should not bother pursuing a career in music. People aren't going to hire you to make your own art, that's something you have to do on your own.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Last edited by Hobble at Dec 15, 2009,
I suppose i am part of a the dying race, that thinks you should make music that you feel for, and make it for yourself and other people who feel for the same, and not to make it big..

But... i suppose not.. meh, i don't have any idea of how to make it big, honestly. Wasting ye time here.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Quote by Northernmight
I suppose i am part of a the dying race, that thinks you should make music that you feel for, and make it for yourself and other people who feel for the same, and not to make it big..

But... i suppose not.. meh, i don't have any idea of how to make it big, honestly. Wasting ye time here.

I sort of agree. Unfortunately the culture we live in requires us to have a regular income to survive. When considering the future, and things like a family etc, we have to take into consideration how to provide for them or at least how to provide for ourselves if we decide against a family. And imo earning a good income from playing with great musicians (even if you hate the pop star, the musicians that back them are usually top notch) is a great opportunity that is hard to achieve.

Many of us would love to purely focus on our art, but the realities of life are to be taken into consideration. So imo it's ideal to at least work a career that is related, and will help you improve as a musician, while having time on the side to focus on personal art.

I don't think it's a dying race, most of the worlds greatest artists spent a lot of energy on career goals coupled with their visions. I don't think it's really about making it big, I wouldn't want to be famous, but having a reliable source of income is important. We have to have a source of income, so either we can work a job that we hate while focusing on our art, or have a career of playing with other musicians while focusing on our art, which sounds amazing to me.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Last edited by Hobble at Dec 15, 2009,
Quote by koslack
Making great money (with benefits!) in a country going through a recession, for doing nothing more than playing guitar 2 hours a night, plus rehearsals. What a terrible ordeal to suffer through.

You say that as if everybody had the same interests, likes, and dislikes as you.
Don't be so presumptious.
I've always been a very depressive person, and the only thing that is ever of any comfort is being able to express myself through art, be it visual, musical, or written. I hit rock-bottom when I don't have enough time for these things. I would certainly not have time (or energy) for them while on tour with a pop star.
In addition, I tend to have very different standards for measuring success than other people. I could be swimming in money and still be suicidal, since I've never been able to see the acquisition of money as any kind of success. I'm extremely prone to self-questioning, and given the Miley Cyrus situation, I'd surely make myself sick asking myself "what am I doing with my life?"
Once that's been taken into account, can you find a good reason for which I would take the deal?
So stop acting like I'm some kind of indie hipster trying to convince people that I'm a more moral being than they are. I honestly could not care less for something like that. It wouldn't make me happy, and it wouldn't be of benefit to anyone (as far as I can tell), so why do it?
Quote by koslack
Making great money (with benefits!) in a country going through a recession, for doing nothing more than playing guitar 2 hours a night, plus rehearsals. What a terrible ordeal to suffer through.
Go away you wicked, wicked troll.

I'm an ARTIST.
I don't care about money and hooking into the business.
I measure success in other ways, don't you know?
Money is bad for the soul. An artist needs to suffer!

I'd say more, but I have more important matters to attend to.
I gotta go busk so I can earn a dollar or two for some razor blades.
The ones I have now are so used and dull I could barely cut myself.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by koslack
Then ask the guys in those bands how many meals a day they can afford to ear that don't start with 'Mc.'
Also, the vast majority of those bands will not be together in 5 years, or even 2 years. And they will have not made a penny from their music. Hell, some may very well be in debt. But hey, if that's your definition of making it, go for it. Just don't expect me to trade credit ratings with you when you try to buy a home.

It's people like you that have turned music from an art form to a business where it's all to do with fashion and numbers...

...and for that I despise you.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Different people means different motives, goals, dreams, desires, etc. Arguing about who's right is petty and futile.
Quote by Northernmight

But when push comes to shove, many of us may never get the chance to play music as a career. I would much rather, play music, even if its not my personal preference of genre, than have to go get a 9-5.

Nobody says you can't be in a pop band and play metal at the same time. This way you would also get into the music business, make connections, get experience, and maybe even pursue your own career as an artist after a few years. You would have a HUGE advantage over other bands just starting out coming out of some random ass town.

I'm personally not pursing making a pop band or music to become famous, if it happens it happens, but if some producer or manager comes to me and says, hey I'll pay you to play behind so and so, and were sending you to Cali tomorrow...you wouldn't have to ask me twice.
Quote by toyboxmonster
You say that as if everybody had the same interests, likes, and dislikes as you.
Don't be so presumptious.
I've always been a very depressive person, and the only thing that is ever of any comfort is being able to express myself through art, be it visual, musical, or written. I hit rock-bottom when I don't have enough time for these things. I would certainly not have time (or energy) for them while on tour with a pop star.
In addition, I tend to have very different standards for measuring success than other people. I could be swimming in money and still be suicidal, since I've never been able to see the acquisition of money as any kind of success. I'm extremely prone to self-questioning, and given the Miley Cyrus situation, I'd surely make myself sick asking myself "what am I doing with my life?"
Once that's been taken into account, can you find a good reason for which I would take the deal?
So stop acting like I'm some kind of indie hipster trying to convince people that I'm a more moral being than they are. I honestly could not care less for something like that. It wouldn't make me happy, and it wouldn't be of benefit to anyone (as far as I can tell), so why do it?

I have an excellent reason for you to make the deal. It's called "paying rent and buying food." One day, when you have to do that for yourself, you'll understand.
Oh, and if you're a depressive person, trust me: you're going to HATE working at Burger King to support your "art."
Quote by ChemicalFire
It's people like you that have turned music from an art form to a business where it's all to do with fashion and numbers...

...and for that I despise you.

Really? That's funny. Because as I recall, Mozart actively participated in a patronage system where he had to design his music to please his sponsors. But please, enjoy LaLa Land. I hope the pretty unicorns and magical fairies are as pretty as I've heard.
Quote by koslack
Really? That's funny. Because as I recall, Mozart actively participated in a patronage system where he had to design his music to please his sponsors. But please, enjoy LaLa Land. I hope the pretty unicorns and magical fairies are as pretty as I've heard.

Oh, they really are
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Oh, they really are

That all you got son?
So, please tell me: how much is your rent? How much is your music contributing to paying that rent? What are your other costs of living? What are you doing to support yourself?
I'm really interested to know, because I'd like to know where your ridiculous sense of moral superiority comes from. I think it's ironic that most people living in ivory towers somehow also reside in their parents basement.
i hope your not starting a metal band and expecting to make a lot of money... cause you will be a broke dick mother****er after a few years. well... there are a few that do well... but for the most part... romin noddles all day every day
"it aint a brooks n dunn tattoo, WITH OUT RONNIE DUNNNN!!"
Quote by koslack
I have an excellent reason for you to make the deal. It's called "paying rent and buying food." One day, when you have to do that for yourself, you'll understand.
Oh, and if you're a depressive person, trust me: you're going to HATE working at Burger King to support your "art."

You're really skilled at this presumption business.
I'm not 5, I'm 19. I do "pay rent and buy food" for myself. I have a job. I am a janitor at a furniture store. I am very happy there, much happier than I was in university, when all my home time was consumed by studying and essay-writing.
I'd much rather live poorly (as I do now) but happily (with my girlfriend and with the time to work on my art - which doesn't need any quotation marks) than have money and be unable to create.
Last edited by toyboxmonster at Dec 15, 2009,
13 Nov 2009 ****7:30pm The Blue Note Columbia, Missouri
14 Nov 2009 ****7:00pm Piere’s Ft. Wayne, Indiana
15 Nov 2009 ****7:00pm The Machine Shop Flint, Michigan
16 Nov 2009 ****7:00pm Austin’s Fuel Room Libertyville, Illinois
18 Nov 2009 ****7:00pm The Rock Maplewood, Minnesota
19 Nov 2009 ****8:00pm Buster’s Mankato, Minnesota
20 Nov 2009 ****6:00pm Tyson Events Center Sioux City, Iowa
21 Nov 2009 ****6:00pm Buffalo Run Casino Miami, Oklahoma
23 Nov 2009 ****8:00pm Ford Exhibition Hall Beaumont, Texas
24 Nov 2009 ****8:00pm Clicks Tyler, Texas
25 Nov 2009 ****8:00pm Scout Bar Houston, Texas
28 Nov 2009 ****8:00pm Trees Dallas, Texas
29 Nov 2009 ****8:00pm George’s Majestic Lounge Fayetteville, Arkansas
1 Dec 2009 ******8:00pm Five Points Music Hall Birmingham, Alabama
2 Dec 2009 ******8:00pm The Bottling Company Hattiesburg, Mississippi
4 Dec 2009 ******8:00pm Bricktown Event Center Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 Dec 2009 ******8:00pm The Cotillion Wichita, Kansas
6 Dec 2009 ******8:00pm Shrine Mosque Springfield, Missouri
7 Dec 2009 ******8:00pm Dugann’s Pub Lincoln, Nebraska
8 Dec 2009 ******8:00pm Otto’s Dekalb, Illinois
9 Dec 2009 ******8:00pm Poppadox Sioux Falls, South Dakota
11 Dec 2009 *****8:00pm Rock Island Brewing Company Rock Island, Illinois
12 Dec 2009 *****8:00pm Venue 162 Bluffs, Iowa
15 Dec 2009 *****8:00pm Cider House Knoxville, Tennessee
16 Dec 2009 *****8:00pm Pops St. Louis, Missouri
19 Dec 2009 *****8:00pm Phoenix Hill Tavern Louisville, Kentucky
21 Dec 2009 *****8:00pm The Aquarium Fargo, North Dakota
22 Dec 2009 *****8:00pm The Railyard Billings, Montana
23 Dec 2009 *****8:00pm The Bouevard Spokane, Washington

The tour list for a signed band currently supporting its first album release. Think you could do this while attending school to be an engineer?

Edit: You still aren't getting paid a whole lot at this point.
Last edited by Quintex at Dec 15, 2009,
Page 1 of 2