I'm looking for some sort of guitar with HSS pups (low output, HS is also good), a floyd rose tremolo, bolt on neck, rosewood fingerboard (22 frets). Love medium to big necks. tone wood isn't really any preference, as long as it's great quality wood it should sound excellent, although i seem to like the sound of alder and basswood guitars the best...

anyone know of any guitars with most (if not all) of these specs?
Quote by AlanHB
As for the guitarist being a wanker - he's a guitarist. Get used to it.
Last edited by itstheman at Dec 12, 2009,
Have a look at Godin Guitars. They're made really well and alot of them fit pretty much to that description of what you want
Carvin?
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
a fender strat hss
there is a floyd rose version iirc
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Page-Hamilton-Signature-Electric-Guitar?sku=516787

Edit: Iknow it isnt many of your specs...but i highly reccomend ESP + LTD guitars (above £400)...and your not gonna find many guitars which are HsS or HS outside of a Fender Strat...i did my best
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
Last edited by Audioslave95 at Dec 12, 2009,
Quote by Dawnwalker
Carvin?

Carvin is suprisingly limited. I can't get these exact specifications -- a bolt-on guitar that can get a HSS config can't get a floyd rose...
Quote by AlanHB
Quote by rooster456
So I heard you like Charvel?

http://www.samash.com/p/SoCal%20Style%2012H%20Assorted%20Colors_925283

EDIT: Sorry, did a tl;dr on a short thread. Doesn't have the pickup configuration you want, but it's still an amazingly versitile guitar.

I've played that guitar.

The neck pickup is not very good, it's way too high output. I'm aware I can change and I just prefer the sound of a single-coil in the neck. The bridge pickup is pretty good, but also a little too high output for my taste. The discontinued style 2 version of that guitar has a better neck pup, but the bridge sucks, very muddy tones out of that thing.

I love the way they play though, even though I much prefer a rosewood fretboard. It's not really that versatile, though; the lack of a tone knob makes the guitar very limited tonally.
Quote by AlanHB
Quote by Audioslave95
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Page-Hamilton-Signature-Electric-Guitar?sku=516787

Edit: Iknow it isnt many of your specs...but i highly reccomend ESP + LTD guitars (above £400)...and your not gonna find many guitars which are HsS or HS outside of a Fender Strat...i did my best

It's missing the double locking FR, and i'd like to avoid people's sig models...I can't really take myself seriously buying someone else's guitar. Just a pet peeve.
Quote by AlanHB
Quote by Audioslave95

What the ****. That's been discontinued for nearly a year now replaced by the new Magenta.

As regards for your guitar maybe a Warmoth guitar if you're an american. I'm not too sure if all your specs will make it under $1500 but if you wait around for a deal then go for it.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
What the ****. That's been discontinued for nearly a year now replaced by the new Magenta.

As regards for your guitar maybe a Warmoth guitar if you're an american. I'm not too sure if all your specs will make it under $1500 but if you wait around for a deal then go for it.

i took a look at the website, it looks like i''d have to build it myself if i order the parts for 20% off this week?

i could do that, but I'm also considering just getting a quality american strat from samash or guitarcenter (just play a bunch until one feels good,) and just mod it out -- get a new pickguard with an HS pickup config, and get an OFR pack and install that. I'm not sure how I could pull off putting the locking system on the headstock though.
Quote by AlanHB
I believe Warmoth is your best option.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by itstheman
i took a look at the website, it looks like i''d have to build it myself if i order the parts for 20% off this week?

i could do that, but I'm also considering just getting a quality american strat from samash or guitarcenter (just play a bunch until one feels good,) and just mod it out -- get a new pickguard with an HS pickup config, and get an OFR pack and install that. I'm not sure how I could pull off putting the locking system on the headstock though.

For the price of an American and the subsequent mods and labour charges (if you aren't ballsy enough to do it yourself) then you'll probably look at the cost of a warmoth if not more or less. So it's definitely viable but yeah Warmoth have a whole section on cheaper bodies and necks so if you can wait around you might be able to snap up a bargain.
Quote by azn_guitarist25

I only did a quick search, and i was refering to the new-issue Mangeta models....shoulda mentioned that in my OP.

And Warmonth is your best bet now IMO. Good luck
Quote by Audioslave95
I only did a quick search, and i was refering to the new-issue Mangeta models....shoulda mentioned that in my OP.

And Warmonth is your best bet now IMO. Good luck

Ah right yeah new Magenta's are pretty ****ing sick, loving the only bridge pickup as well. Shove that in everyone's faces who wants to have a neck pickup.

there is a neck pickup

so yeah...but that aside...your best off with Warmoth if you want those specs.
That's not a neck pickup, that's a spring lol. I never understood the point of putting that in their too.
The Carvin contour 66 is very much available as an HSS, with a FR, and of course whatever woods you want. The configurator on the website says $1108 for your specs (I chose flame maple with a random color). Well within your budget and some money left to further customize if you like. IMO your best option.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
fretz is absolutely right.
Warmoth will cost me about $1k, only ordering the pickguard, body and neck. When I add in buying the pickups i want, getting the pickguard set up (I can set up the guitar myself, but I'm not ballsy enough to **** with electronics), I will probably spend another 500.

Quote by fretz86
The Carvin contour 66 is very much available as an HSS, with a FR, and of course whatever woods you want. The configurator on the website says $1108 for your specs (I chose flame maple with a random color). Well within your budget and some money left to further customize if you like. IMO your best option.

This also sounds plausable...and cheaper financially. I couldn't find the contour 66 on the site, can you get me a link? and is it bolt-on?
Quote by AlanHB
Quote by itstheman
Carvin is suprisingly limited. I can't get these exact specifications -- a bolt-on guitar that can get a HSS config can't get a floyd rose...

Have you tried calling them? Apperently if you talk to someone over the phone it is much easier to get what you want.

Edit: whoops beaten to it. Carvin is amazing when it comes to build quality and they are very inexpensive for what you get.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Last edited by bean-o at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by fretz86
http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=c66
and yes it is bolt on. their regular bolt and bolt plus you could probably get HSS if you just called them.

sounds very good, this will definitely go on my list of possibilities next to the warmoth.

Quote by JELIFISH19
Maybe an Ibanez Prestige RG with a new pickguard?

Don't care for the pointy body of the prestige, and the neck is far too thin and uncomfortable. The tonewood of the bodies never really seem to suit my needs, very thin sounding.
Quote by AlanHB
Quote by Vulcanized
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SCESYNYSTERCST

I've played this. It's amazing. The Invaders are very nice pups.

This sounds great...except for the 24 frets, set neck, 2 humbuckers (not even close to low output), body shape, and if you read earlier posts I want to avoid signature models.

You guys need to read what I want before you just go out there suggesting your favorite guitars.
Quote by AlanHB
anyone have other ideas?
Quote by AlanHB
Go find yourself a Gibson WRC, you'll thank me later, best Super Strat I've ever played. Would probably rate the Pickups as medium-hot output, two Stacked Singles and a Humbucker. Should be able to find yourself one for 700-900USD. Oh yeah, they have OFR's aswell

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Last edited by R.D at Dec 17, 2009,
Quote by R.D
Go find yourself a Gibson WRC, you'll thank me later, best Super Strat I've ever played. Would probably rate the Pickups as medium-hot output, two Stacked Singles and a Humbucker. Should be able to find yourself one for 700-900USD. Oh yeah, they have OFR's aswell

This guitar was on eBay a long time ago, and I had to pass on it due to lack of money...I wish I could've got it. I'll re-check ebay again.
Quote by AlanHB
A late 80s Charvel model 4 would do nicely. You might want to change the licensed JT-6 for an OFR and the pups out but even with all the upgrades it'd still cost significantly less than $1000. It'd be a easier than the Warmoth but I second the idea of the Carvin.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by sk8boardbob2
A late 80s Charvel model 4 would do nicely. You might want to change the licensed JT-6 for an OFR and the pups out but even with all the upgrades it'd still cost significantly less than $1000. It'd be a easier than the Warmoth but I second the idea of the Carvin.

Do those Charvels have fat necks? I'm sure they aren't Ibanez wizard thin necks, but seeing as they were made in the 80s for shredders, I can imagine they might have some uncomfortable necks...
Quote by AlanHB
Quote by itstheman
Do those Charvels have fat necks? I'm sure they aren't Ibanez wizard thin necks, but seeing as they were made in the 80s for shredders, I can imagine they might have some uncomfortable necks...

I've had a Model 4 and also have a Ibanez S540 now and the necks are comparable but slightly different. As far as thickness goes, they were probably similar but the neck on the Charvel felt much better because of the radius. It doesn't have the flat feeling most Ibanez necks have. Personally it's the best feeling neck I have ever played but I probably like them a little thinner than you.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt