Hi, need some help choosing an amp. I got about £400-450 to spend on a new amp. I'll be buying used.

I play a genre kinda like classic hard rock- A mix between led zeppelin, ac/dc, white stripes, turbonegro, velvet revolver, the hives, the stooges, kinda like wolfmother. I play a fender mexican telecaster. I also use a big muff for some of them tones too.

So, yeah I need an amp. How would the peavey 5150 2x12 combo fit this? I have a big muff that I'll be using quite alot too, so how would it respond to this?

And it MUST be like 15-30 watts MINIMUM to get over the LOUD DRUMMER! and possibly a rhythm guitarist, maybe a bassist.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wouldn't go with a 5150 for those genres. I dunno, since you didnt give a price range i would suggest to look at the Marshall jcm series.

EDIT:sorry you did give a price range.
EDIT2: yeah, scratch my suggestion. Its kinda hard to find JCMs in your price range.
--------------------------------
GEAR
Guitars----
Aria:Ariana
Ibanez:RG7321
Peavey:Raptor Sig. series
Peavey:EXP Sig. series
ESP LTD: V-500
Amplifiers----
Orange 2X12 cab
Peavey: JSX
Peavey: XXL
Last edited by Drew Dolezal at Dec 12, 2009,
For them bands I would get a ValvePower 18w, great for classic rock - http://www.valvepower.co.uk/ only £300
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Why not a 5150, drew? And I see jcm 900s half stack on ebay for about 450-500 if theyre any decent?

The valvepower doesnt seem my kinda thing, its only 18w, it could be too quiet then I'd be doomed, plus if I gig I dont' wanna bring a backup. Plus Id need a cab and it would all add up- I'd much rather have a reliable, decent 30+w amp, for the same price.
18 tube watts is very, very loud. The only real difference in wattage for most tube amps (1/4 watt doesn't count, lol) is headroom. You can crank the shit out of an 18 watter, or you can kind of crank the shit out of a 100 watter. The only real difference is power amp overdrive.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Yeah but volume wise would a 15 or 18 watt with a 2x12 cab really be able to get over a LOUD DRUMMER really easily? Because if I bought one and it wasnt loud enough I'd well and truly be f**kd lol
Quote by dotheFlop
Yeah but volume wise would a 15 or 18 watt with a 2x12 cab really be able to get over a LOUD DRUMMER really easily? Because if I bought one and it wasnt loud enough I'd well and truly be f**kd lol

Yes. 18 watts is virtually as loud as 30-50. Loudness doesn't multiple every time you double watts; increase the wattage by 10 to get any change. 180 tube watts would be twice as loud as 18. And by then, you'd be dead!
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Quote by Phantom123
Yes. 18 watts is virtually as loud as 30-50. Loudness doesn't multiple every time you double watts; increase the wattage by 10 to get any change. 180 tube watts would be twice as loud as 18. And by then, you'd be dead!

This. The reason you'd want more watts, is if you need preamp gain, or cleans at high volumes. Which you may well not want considering your bands listed. I don't know, do you need loud cleans or high gain?
Neither really- I don't really need cleans tbh. And depends how high gain is, I don't play metal, the playing style is very hard rock 60s influenced, very much like wolfmother/led zeppelin.
Then really cranking an 18watter will get you the one your after. If 18 watts isn't loud enough, then it's unlikely you'll notice the step up to 30watts, since the difference is minimal. And if you need more than that cranked, I have to know what your drummer is doing, because 18 watts cranked through a 212 should be very noisy indeed. You might want to look at the laney vc30 as well, maybe not quite the gain your after, but you get a decent all round amp for about £350 new.
You've successfully pursuaded me to get a 15watt or something then :p

I'm looking for a vintage 1960s sounding amp. Something like led zep/wolfmother/white stripes/the hives, I'll be using a big muff, you reckon the orange tiny terror will be good for this? Cheers for the replies so far btw I appreciate it!!

I was also thinking of getting a beat up cheap fender twin from ebay and using the big muff for my drive.. but I feel like I'm just gonna end up sounding like jack white lol i want my own tone :P
Vintage? Try the Carvin Vintage 16. Not too high gain, but when you say vintage, that is EXACTLY what you're asking for =P
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Quote by dotheFlop
You've successfully pursuaded me to get a 15watt or something then :p

I'm looking for a vintage 1960s sounding amp. Something like led zep/wolfmother/white stripes/the hives, I'll be using a big muff, you reckon the orange tiny terror will be good for this? Cheers for the replies so far btw I appreciate it!!

I was also thinking of getting a beat up cheap fender twin from ebay and using the big muff for my drive.. but I feel like I'm just gonna end up sounding like jack white lol i want my own tone :P

Honestly from what I've heard of it the Valvepower should be perfect for you.
^You are right, it is perect for the stuff TS plays. Also, TS check out the audio clips on ValvePower website - http://www.valvepower.co.uk/audio_clips.htm
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Last edited by Jak Archer at Dec 12, 2009,