Don't let this pedal's looks fool you - it's quite a departure from DigiTech's other fare at this price point. Beloved by Ultimate-Guitar users and other forum users alike, the Bad Monkey is a versatile transparent boost, arguably one of (if not the) best boost for less than a hundred US dollars. It has applications in pretty much every genre of music, but is well known for its use to boost amps into metal territory. A TubeScreamer clone, it has less of a midboost than its more famous father and more gain on tap.

The Bad Monkey features four knobs - Level, Low, High and Gain. The two-band EQ on board arguably makes it more versatile than a Tubescreamer as it offers more precise toneshaping.

Now, on to settings - by far the most widely used setting is:

Level Max
Low 5
High 5
Gain 0

This setting is commonly used to boost the front of the amp, driving it harder, which gives more gain and a very slight level boost. This way, it can be used to get an amp to metal levels of gain, or as a gain boost for solos. It also has applications for the amp's clean channel, where it is useful as a volume boost. This setting gives a bit of dirt (depending on how driven your amp's clean channel is already) and a huge volume increase.

A setting I've recently taken to is:

Level 7
Low 7
High 7
Gain 0

After seeing David Gilmour's settings for his Butler Tube Driver. It's a bit less intense than the above setting, and gives a lush and warm tone. I have yet to use this setting to push my amp's distortion, however; it sounds great for the clean channel.

So let's discuss this great pedal. There's more to it than meets the eye, and it can get some rather zany tones once you start messing with the EQ knobs. I've gotten something somewhat fuzz-like from it once.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Dec 12, 2009,
I'd buy one of these if it wasn't so worthless as an overdrive pedal. Then again, I'm not sure I'd really need a boost pedal since I'm a rhythm guitarist.
its a fine pedal, but i hate when people call it transparent. it certainly is not. loads of compression and a mid hump makes it very very not transparent.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Alex Vik
I'd buy one of these if it wasn't so worthless as an overdrive pedal. Then again, I'm not sure I'd really need a boost pedal since I'm a rhythm guitarist.

It's not worthless; it's just that there are better options for an actual overdrive, such as the Danelectro ODs.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Great pedal imo....especially for $50.

These are good reads to:

IbanezPsycho's Bad Monkey vs TubeScreamer blog
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/IbanezPsycho/blog/54540/

IbanezPsycho's Bad Monkey mods blog
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/IbanezPsycho/blog/53932/
Quote by Raijouta
It's not worthless; it's just that there are better options for an actual overdrive, such as the Danelectro ODs.

Well, IMO it's worthless. I ran it through a Heritage Les Paul and a Peavey Windsor and it didn't sound that great.
Quote by Alex Vik
Well, IMO it's worthless. I ran it through a Heritage Les Paul and a Peavey Windsor and it didn't sound that great.

might be because (IMO) peavey windsor doesnt sound to great. maybe that was the problem.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Alex Vik

Maybe you're just a rabble-rouser.
Quote by chea_man
might be because (IMO) peavey windsor doesnt sound to great. maybe that was the problem.

Eh, I thought the Windsor was a pretty good amp for testing pedals. It was either that, a ValveKing, a Rage, or a JC-90 that I could've ran it through, so I think the Windsor was the best out of them for testing overdrive pedals.
Quote by Cheapshot
Maybe you're just a rabble-rouser.

A what now?
Thinking about getting one of these myself, wondering if its worth the extra cash for an actual tubescreamer, or other clone
RIP Gooze

cats
^I don't think is worth it but it really depends on what are looking to do. If you strictly want to boost your amp this is really hard to beat for $50. IbanezPsycho did a detailed blog on OD pedals but I can't find it. Maybe it was a thread.
^Its been linked to the thread, pretty good idea for a mod, and as a boost it looks like it is the same or even better then the tube screamer
RIP Gooze

cats
i have a bad monkey and i need suicide silence type sound. please someone help me.

Thanks
Quote by 7stringpower
i have a bad monkey and i need suicide silence type sound. please someone help me.

Thanks

What amp are you using?
i use a cheap 40 watt combo and behringer gmx 212. and i play ibanez rg 7321 seven string with emg' s.
I've got a Bad Monkey and I thought it was useless this whole time. Didn't even know it could be used as a boost.

I've been shopping around for a pedal that would boost my soon to be Blackstar HT Studio 20's overdrive channel...should I keep the BM?
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
I like the Bad Monkey...for a boost. As an OD, it doesn't have enough bite for me. It's really thick and warm but not so punchy, but for 15 USD I can't complain...AT ALL.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
i have bad monkey and i need a suicide silence type sound. i use a cheap 40 watts combo and behringer gmx 212.

Someone help me. Thanks
Quote by 7stringpower
i have bad monkey and i need a suicide silence type sound. i use a cheap 40 watts combo and behringer gmx 212.

Someone help me. Thanks

New amp. In the mean time, you could try boosting the OD channel of your amp. Try boosting it with Level max, EQ controls noon, gain 1-2.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Great pedal. Very cheap too. I had a ts9, and it really wasn't any better.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by HellBoy9393
New amp. In the mean time, you could try boosting the OD channel of your amp. Try boosting it with Level max, EQ controls noon, gain 1-2.

Thanks i try
Quote by sebastian_96
I've got a Bad Monkey and I thought it was useless this whole time. Didn't even know it could be used as a boost.

I've been shopping around for a pedal that would boost my soon to be Blackstar HT Studio 20's overdrive channel...should I keep the BM?

I don't like the bm as a boost for the HT5, cuts the already lacking bass. The studio 20 might not have that problem though (5watt amps in general seem to lack low end punch).
JVM 410H
Blackstar HT5c
Jackson KV5FR
ESP LTD H-302
Quote by ninjab
I don't like the bm as a boost for the HT5, cuts the already lacking bass. The studio 20 might not have that problem though (5watt amps in general seem to lack low end punch).

You know, you can adjust the bass control on the BM.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
What a badass little pedal. I use mine as a lead boost right now, as I'm playing guitar in a blues band right now, and it works great. I've used it on my Triamp, my PEavey 6505+, and a 1960's Fender Super Reverb, and it sounds awesome. For metal, it's an absolute must as a boost on the Triamp's 3rd channel.

For the blues stuff, I use the following settings:

Level: 10
Low: 4
High: 6
Gain: 5

I have to crank the mids up on whichever amp I'm playing otherwise it can lack bite, as someone already said.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at May 7, 2010,
Quote by Raijouta
You know, you can adjust the bass control on the BM.

My thoughts exactly
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
I use this for as a solo boost in an indie band I play with, b/c my amp distortion is too metal for them. haha. I think it sounds pretty good!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
I have it in my HT-5 and its a wonderful boost when I wan things a bit more saturated. I have to admit, while I don't have the best ear for everything, it works fine as an OD for my applications. It really warms up my somewhat sterile HT-5 clean channel, and gets a nice bluesy breakup feel to it.
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57