Our band has consisted of me on guitar and vox and my buddy on drums but we finally found a bassist and actually booked our first gig that night. We are playing at a Christian lock in, so our setlist so far consists of

Monster-Skillet
Sadie Hawkins Dance-Reliant K

I think we also may add one or two more covers, but the set is going to be short. Our drummer also wants us to do an original, but we haven't done a whole lot in that department. So would it be a good idea to try and put together an original, or stick to another cover? And by the way, we know pretty much everyone that's gonna be there, so that's a plus.
always try and put together an original, if its bad or doesnt happen then you have a cover as a fall back and you know everyone there so no need to be nervous just go out and have fun with it, and if you do bad then who cares theyll be plenty more gigs if you stick to it

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
hell yea go original man...its always good to have covers so people are into the show but then slip in your own material too
a good balance is nice... if you guys dont butcher the covers, the people will dig it... and as far as originals go... just write them, you and your bandmates will grow and develop writing skills together by doing... if the people dont necessarily dig it, dont be disheartened! just keep going because each song you guys creat as a band will get better and better as time progresses!
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
a good balance is nice... if you guys dont butcher the covers, the people will dig it... and as far as originals go... just write them, you and your bandmates will grow and develop writing skills together by doing... if the people dont necessarily dig it, dont be disheartened! just keep going because each song you guys creat as a band will get better and better as time progresses! i front my band so ive been through it before!
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Throwing in an original can't hurt. And it let's people get familiar with your own songwriting, which IMO is a good goal. Any group of kids can play covers, but once people start liking your original work is when you'll really get somewhere
I hate my sig
Alright well we have the music written for an original song its much like our style kind of alternative rock with some hard rock elements and I'll start on the words. I am a good writer have sent off stuff to publishing companies before so I do know how to put some ideas down. Thanks for the input!
Quote by Mekchrious
Alright well we have the music written for an original song its much like our style kind of alternative rock with some hard rock elements and I'll start on the words. I am a good writer have sent off stuff to publishing companies before so I do know how to put some ideas down. Thanks for the input!

you can be the greatest writer in the world, but if the chemistry isnt there between your bandmates, and they dont share the same vision that you do, it may not turn out too well.
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Well our bassist is an incredibly easy going guy and fairly straight forward. He's incredibly consistent and sure and has an awesome sense of timing, and picks up on stuff. He could honestly care less what we're playing lol he just loves to play. My drummer actually helped me compose this newest original as far as music goes, but he doesn't like to write. He tries, but nothing comes.
Quote by Mekchrious
Well our bassist is an incredibly easy going guy and fairly straight forward. He's incredibly consistent and sure and has an awesome sense of timing, and picks up on stuff. He could honestly care less what we're playing lol he just loves to play. My drummer actually helped me compose this newest original as far as music goes, but he doesn't like to write. He tries, but nothing comes.

RAGE.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Since they're people you know you can play whatever you want, they're still love you. Don't jump out on originals if they're not ready though, people would gladly listen to a kickass cover band over a suckish original band. If you have an original, throw it in! Don't start or end with it though, you'll have maximum listeners in the middle of your set.
Yeah we are wanting to do California by Hawk Nelson as well. And yeah we were planning on opening with Sadie doing the original, another cover, then finishing with Monster, mostly cause its played in drop D.