Hello fellow guitarists,

I'm looking for a good, warm distorted or overdriven sound, but I don't know what pedals I should be looking at. So many choices, so little time to try them out. I'll be using the pedal on the clean channel of my amp (see sig), seeing as a modeling amp's distortion doesn't want to work with pedals. Please note though, that I'm looking to replace my amp sometime in the future, so it would be nice if the pedal by itself doesn't sound too digital (even though it might sound so through a modeling amp for some reason), and if it scales well with tube amps

I play many genres, from improvised blues, to Muse, to Guns 'N Roses, to Vai and Satriani. I know one pedal probably won't cover all my playing styles, but I'm hoping you guys could help me narrow down the search a bit.

tl;dr: read title

Free e-beer in advance,
Stay away from digitech. You can't go wrong with any of the basic overdrive/dist. pedals Boss has to offer.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Stay away from digitech. You can't go wrong with any of the basic overdrive/dist. pedals Boss has to offer.

Yes, you can.
Whats your budget?
I would stay away from an overdrive because it will make the amp clip resulting in
The amp won't work to well with a distortion, I would get a good tube amp first and then look at pedals.
depends on what kind of sound your looking for.

BOSS DS-1 for light, crunchy rock
BOSS MT-2 for heavy, metal sound
MXR Distortion+ is really good for an 80s metal kind of sound
take your pick.
Do not listen to Rhoads_1096.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I don't care too much about the price as long as it sounds good. Of course, 1000 dollars for a pedal is too much, but you get what I mean.

My guitar teacher has a distortion pedal (can't recall which one though) and, in the room he teaches me, the same amp. The distortion seems to work, even sounds better than the amp's own lead channel.

I am probably getting a tube amp sooner or later, but I'll have to find a place to crank it up first, my apartment bedroom has some pretty thin walls.
BOSS blues driver->BOSS distortion pedal is a nice chain that my friend uses. Also don't count out fuzz pedals. you can get some really nice sounds by playing with their settings.
Well if you don't really have too much of a budget then I would look at a MI audio, fulltone, or catlinbread. The new boss stuff isn't great, but if you have a soldering iron you can make something great out of it. Again, I would atleast try out a couple boxes with the amp because I don't know how well they would work together.
Quote by sg4ever
MI Audio Crunch Box?

Or a blues pro, which also gives you fuzz which is a plus.
You have things pretty figured out. Under $200 are:

Love Pedal Purple Plexi
Love Pedal Kanji
Xotix BB Preamp
Rothwell Hellbender
Fulltone OCD
MI Audio Blues Pro/Crunch Box
Catlinbread Dirty Little Secret
Last edited by Rhoads_1096 at Dec 12, 2009,
Quote by Rhoads_1096
Or a blues pro, which also gives you fuzz which is a plus.

+1 to a killer pedal!
If you are in for tube distortion:
Damage Control Solid Metal
Blackstar stuff (if you like the ISF. I don't, but everyone is different.)
Maybe the GFS Tube pedal after the info on it comes out... Wish there was more info on the website

Distortion pedals are really REALLY something you need to play before you buy. Some people like the Metal Core, I hated it. Some people like this and that other thing. *shrug*

I DO love fuzz pedals. I think I want a Big Pi Fuzz or Metal Fuzz.
Agile 2800 Baritone (Crunchy Rail bridge/Fat Pat Neck) or Douglas WRL 590 -> MXR Super Comp -> -> MXR M108 EQ -> Peavey 5150 212 (Eminence Redcoat Gov) or Bugera V5