Can someone confirm for me that these tremolo's are the same other than the name printed on the plate?
If not it's time for a discussion of the differences i guess?
sorry if this has been asked but it's impossible to win - it's either "don't bump old threads" or "use the searchbar"
The original Floyds where made in German by Schaller. Now days they are different, Schaller lost the contract many years ago. If you can find an orginal 80's FR, these are thought to be the best. Schaller trem are good but will not fit a FR body without mods.
Quote by Davers440
The original Floyds where made in German by Schaller. Now days they are different, Schaller lost the contract many years ago. If you can find an orginal 80's FR, these are thought to be the best. Schaller trem are good but will not fit a FR body without mods.

on here it say's it's a real floyd
Quote by Bigsteve92
on here it say's it's a real floyd

i think they mean that its the style of the original floyd rose
its like calling tissue paper Kleenex
or window washing fluid Windex
or q-tips
the brand-name becomes the definition of the style of product

so schaller is probably using all of the original spec's in terms of metal alloy and dimensions.
it will be a direct replacement for pretty much any other company's "floyd rose". ibanez's edge is certainly different.
and from what everybody else says, the schaller "floyd rose" is top quality
Last edited by sethp at Dec 12, 2009,
Quote by sethp
i think they mean that its the style of the original floyd rose
its like calling tissue paper Kleenex
or window washing fluid Windex
or q-tips
the brand-name becomes the definition of the style of product

so schaller is probably using all of the original spec's in terms of metal alloy and dimensions.
it will be a direct replacement for pretty much any other company's "floyd rose". ibanez's edge is certainly different.
and from what everybody else says, the schaller "floyd rose" is top quality

yeah but with something like a floyd rose you can't really sell it as 'real' unless it's official, or so i'd think.
they probably mean 'real' like the way you'd say "this is a real burger" meaning its great :P

and the thing is, If I'm gonna spend like £100+ GBP I'm most definetly going for the absolute best, there's not much in it - the nearest big music store (bout 30 miles away, go there with a friend roughly once a month because it's cool) has OFR's at £150 ish, and sleazebay has the schaller for a bit less :P

Also, anyone know the post spacings of the OFR and Schaller?
Quote by Bigsteve92
yeah but with something like a floyd rose you can't really sell it as 'real' unless it's official, or so i'd think.
they probably mean 'real' like the way you'd say "this is a real burger" meaning its great :P

and the thing is, If I'm gonna spend like £100+ GBP I'm most definetly going for the absolute best, there's not much in it - the nearest big music store (bout 30 miles away, go there with a friend roughly once a month because it's cool) has OFR's at £150 ish, and sleazebay has the schaller for a bit less :P

Also, anyone know the post spacings of the OFR and Schaller?

Be careful shipping from abroad. I have quite extensive experience of this, hence the warning.

Just to break it down

Including shipping, the cost is £138

Which is great, unless you get customs charges, which is highly likely these days.

So then it becomes:

£138 +
Duty at around 10% so £151.80
Then they charge you VAT on that (including shipping cost) 15%
So now it's £174.42
Then, Parcel Force will add a handling fee of I believe £8

£182.42

Not so cheap now.

So just be careful Oh, and marking something as "gift" and so on, makes no odds. Also, not adding or reducing the declared value of the item is fine, unless it goes missing, when the insurance won't cover it and it is your responsibility to claim it back.

Alternatively, you could get one from here:

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/Floyd_Rose_Licensed_Bridge_GE1996TC#

Or if it must be a Schaller then teh super expensive All-Parts do one http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-shop/allparts-guitar-amp-parts/bridges/guitar-bridges/tremolos-locking/locking-tremolo-schaller-w-locking-nut-2-p-3030.html

And if you get it through me, you get 20% off.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Dec 12, 2009,
Quote by -MintSauce-
^

Most people on here swear by the Gotoh FR's, so you'd be making a good move by getting one for £107, which is a steal.

Or a bit less if I get it for him
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
they call the schaller "real" because schaller was the original manufacturer of FLOYD ROSEs

hence: real
if its a good deal for you then i'd check the sellers feedback and not worry about its authenticity. its the real thing
Quote by Skeet UK
Or a bit less if I get it for him

so you get 20% off on allparts?
and Gotoh are good floyds right?
Is there a shipping charge on top of the £85 (ish) for the gotoh floyd?
and how do i go about ordering through you?
what're waiting times like?
I got an Original floyd rose but the chrome powder coat on the saddles started to come off, then the steel started to tarnish. But then I took some mothers mag and aluminum polish and polished it up and it looks really close to the chrome thats still on some of the saddles. And since schaller makes the original Floyd rose I imagine they would be similar quality...

Thats why for my next build I've decided to go with a gotoh.

Plus the gotoh has a brass sustain block which is supposidly warmer sounding, and better for sustain, the originals is steel which is bright sounding, and I'm not sure what the schaller's is.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by Davers440

My friend recently acquired an early 80's Floyd Rose (brass fine tuners that are smooth as butter) that came off of an old Kramer and it plays better than my 07 Edwards with an OFR.

Sadly though, it doesn't have a steel block (not magnetic). It's Zinc, just liky my OFR and the various LFR's I've tried. Schaller uses Zinc too (so why the high price? )
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Dec 12, 2009,
Am I just having bad luck or are the Schaller licensed Floyds junk? I bought a new Custom Shop Jackson Soloist in 1994. In the first ten years I have gone through THREE Schaller Floyds (probably would be on four or five by now if I didn't give up on replacement). The holes where the saddles are screwed to the bridge plate keep stripping out for no reason. I am not an aggressive player, hardly even use the wammy bar, and I don't adjust the intonation after it has been set up by a professional at installation.

I guess the real question is... does any other company make a drop in replacement for the Schaller that is made of stronger metal? Or should I just deal with replacing it every three or so years? I really don't want to perform any other modifications of the guitar.

thanks

mike
Quote by vern53
Am I just having bad luck or are the Schaller licensed Floyds junk? I bought a new Custom Shop Jackson Soloist in 1994. In the first ten years I have gone through THREE Schaller Floyds (probably would be on four or five by now if I didn't give up on replacement). The holes where the saddles are screwed to the bridge plate keep stripping out for no reason. I am not an aggressive player, hardly even use the wammy bar, and I don't adjust the intonation after it has been set up by a professional at installation.

I guess the real question is... does any other company make a drop in replacement for the Schaller that is made of stronger metal? Or should I just deal with replacing it every three or so years? I really don't want to perform any other modifications of the guitar.

thanks

mike

I think an OFR is a direct replacement, i think a Gotoh is also 74mm post spacing (may be different sized posts however)

and for the record, I've gone with a Gotoh floyd in Black Chrome through Skeet UK