so... i was in my schools woodwork shop, and i was preparing a block of wood to use on the wood lathe by cutting off the corners on a bandsaw, and i accidentally cut my right index finger (my plucking hand ). it's kinda deep (im thinking it'll take about a week to heal), you can still pull the gash apart and see the next few layers of skin underneath. it also hurts like hell to play bass.

so, im wondering, if i put up with the pain and play bass, will it do any damage to my finger or will it just hurt?
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
You're not going to lose your skill at bass in a week, I'd just take the time to heal and then you don't **** yourself over.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Use a pick while your finger is recovering? It's not such a big shame, really...
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
Quote by muse-ik
You're not going to lose your skill at bass in a week, I'd just take the time to heal and then you don't **** yourself over.

True, but if yo insist to play, it won't damage your finger too bad. But I'd take a break now if I were you.
i would give it a rest until it heals, if you try and put up with the pain, it'll only slow down the healing process and you'll have to endure it for longer
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Quote by DarkValo666
True, but if yo insist to play, it won't damage your finger too bad. But I'd take a break now if I were you.

I beg to differ. Even if plucking motions don't open the wound, you'll be surprised how much movement there will be squeezing the wound together. That movement will undo the healing process and cause it to last a lot longer, which can lead to complications like infection.

The best thing to do is stop playing and immobilise the finger, if it's that deep. Better to leave it for a while so it can heal in a good amount of time, instead of playing and protracting the injury.
Hell, I honestly say you should take a little time off with a blister on your fingertip. All this "play through the pain" sh*t is bollocks, and anyone with any medical knowledge will agree. Pain signifies that something is wrong- a blister is damaged tissue, with the liquid buildup forming to create a buffer. For normal use of the finger, it's fine, but playing an instrument puts a lot more stress on that area, prolonging the damage.
Quote by TheTortured
so, im wondering, if i put up with the pain and play bass, will it do any damage to my finger or will it just hurt?

Bandage it up really tight then use a plectrum to play.
Man, you cut your hand on a friggin' band saw, I can't imagine a much better time to take a week or two off bass. You abilities aren't just going to disappear over that time. Give it time to heal and you'll be far better off in the long run.
This reminds me when I cut my finger on my school's tablesaw a while back. I had a pretty bad gash as well, wasn't on my plucking hand but on my fretting hand, only my injury took a while to heal so I'd let your fingers rest so you don't interfere with the healing process. You can always practice when your fingers are fully healed to regain your abilities on bass.
thanks for the advice... i'll try using a pick while it heals, and do some theory studying
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
I cut into my finger on a table saw about the first week of October. It took a month of going to the hospital every two days and getting it cleaned and dressed for it to heal, and now 2 months later, it still hurts when I press too hard on. I just started playing bass a few weeks ago, and I'm using my index and ring finger mostly because I can't use my middle one much because it still hurts. Depending on how you cut it, prepare for months of healing before it stops hurting so much to use it.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
I got blisters on three fingers from playing a bass with very, very dirty strings once. Playing my actual basses (and messing with the blisters non-stop) did NOT help them heal. Granted, you cut yourself- It's not a blister.

But just let it heal before you begin to play. Trust me, it will be better in the long run.
Go to a doctor and get it stitched up or the wound will keep popping open and not heal.
dont **** with it. when i chew my nails (fml) the same thing happens. i cant play with my other fingers and i cant use a pick and it hurts bcuz im using pressure on my finger tip(ive bled b4) so i just take a break and print tabs and stare at them with longing until my finger sops hurting
First....
If you can still peel it apart... PUT A BANDAID ON IT!!!
If you do that, and wrap it pretty tight, it can help with the playing.
I find that helps me whenever i cut my fingers.
Band Aids or electrical tape

geez... they're called BAND aids for a reason
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
Echoing everyone else, a week won't do jack. If you absolutely feel the need, practice fretting or something with your left hand, I guess.

Also, pics or it didn't happen. ;P
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
are you trying to win like "most dedicated bass player" or something?? just go do something else for a couple days and suck your wound man also go to a docter
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by the wako kid
dont **** with it. when i chew my nails (fml) the same thing happens. i cant play with my other fingers and i cant use a pick and it hurts bcuz im using pressure on my finger tip(ive bled b4) so i just take a break and print tabs and stare at them with longing until my finger sops hurting

Same here... bitting is a bassist's worst enemy, but yet... I still do it!
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
I remeber when I was learning slapping. I played it untill I had a blister on my index finger. So I waited a day and then went Slapped using my middle finger for popping. Probably not the best descision of my life. Anyway, use a pick dude, it never hurts to work on other techniques.
no sir away a papaya war is on
well, the big problem is my band is recording atm, i shouldve mentioned that earlier. at the moment i've been playing pick, i've gotten considerably better at it but theres some technical lines i cant play with a pick. we've had to put off the recording of bass tracks for the demo.

it should be healed by next week. thanks for the comments everybody.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Dude, bad timing!

Listen to your body. You'll want to be able to play bass five years from now, yeah? It's better to take a couple of weeks to let your finger rest than mess yourself up for the rest of your life. What if you end up damaging a tendon and you can't use that finger to its best ability ever again??

And probably wear some work gloves next time you play around with a bandsaw :P