Hello people,

I have finally found some people to make my first band, but there is a problem. I'm the rhythm guitarist, and the other guitarist... well, can only play lead. He is good at soloing, definitely better than me, but he can't even play a simple power chord riff, or stuffs like the clean part of Master Of Puppets or the clean intro of Fade To Black. He plays since 2005 and he always took lessons, but appartently his teacher just taught him scales patterns and nothing about rhythm and chords. He knows nothing about theory too.

We are having trouble playing together, so what should I do?

1) Give him a lot of rhythm exercises, even if it will take months/years to make him better.
2) Play the rhythm guitar alone and make him play only solos.
3) Compose all songs with different guitar parts so he will basically play lead all the time (like Blind Guardian).
4) Other?

Please don't tell me "find another guitarist" because where I live it's very hard to find other musicians. I found him after over a year, so it's the only option right now, plus he is a cool guy.

Thanks.
Quote by Chilli 3000
get him to ask his teacher to teach him chords?
Well, if his teacher didn't even mention chords and theory in 4 years, he is probably a moron. I saw the exercises he printed and there were only scales pattern without any theory explanation. Plus, the guy (let's call him Alex) can shred a bit but doesn't have a good technique (proper fingering, muting, etc). Any good teacher should have "fixed" this issue.

Anyway, I already told Alex guy "Please talk with your teacher and ask for rythm lessons." and... he gave him a Michael Jackson song to learn. We play metal and hard rock.
Last edited by Poglia at Dec 12, 2009,
sounds like your dude needs a teacher more suiting his style. or needs to learn how to teach himself. theres free lessons all over the internet you just need to be intelligent enough to put it together without the help of an expeirienced professional. saves a lot of cash spent on teachers. but if your friend isnt intelligent get a diff teacher
He can only play leads but not any chords or rhythm?
That's like learning to drive a car but only being able to turn left......................

He needs to put in the effort to learn it........if not, he'll be very limited in the larger scheme of things. (from a musicians perpective).
Quote by Afterhours
He can only play leads but not any chords or rhythm?
That's like learning to drive a car but only being able to turn left......................

And that's how Nascar was invented.

Seriously, sit him down and teach him all you know about chords and such. Unless you're Van Halen, you're not gonna make it very far with just lead licks.
The obvious answer is you just play rhythm, he just plays lead. In the 70's, some bands had "stun guitar" which was just widdling fills and squeling pinch harmonics at the end of musical phrases.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Quote by Poglia
Anyway, I already told Alex guy "Please talk with your teacher and ask for rythm lessons." and... he gave him a Michael Jackson song to learn. We play metal and hard rock.

so? you do know EVH played one Beat it right? and Slash played on Black and White? Yeah well it doesnt matter what genre it is, as long as he is learning rhythm and chords.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
yea,.. 5 years of lessons and no chord exercises? sure sounds moron-ish
Quote by Poglia
Well, if his teacher didn't even mention chords and theory in 4 years, he is probably a moron. I saw the exercises he printed and there were only scales pattern without any theory explanation. Plus, the guy (let's call him Alex) can shred a bit but doesn't have a good technique (proper fingering, muting, etc). Any good teacher should have "fixed" this issue.

His teacher certainly does sound like a moron. But playing in different genres to your primary one isn't a bad thing.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Pyrotechie
And that's how Nascar was invented.

Quote by eaton1012
I'd go with 2.

As far as the original question, I'd say that you should teach him some basic chords and let him be mostly the "solo" guitarist. Make sure he knows the basics (the musical alphabet, barre chord theory, power chords, etc.).
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Last edited by GoIrish668 at Dec 26, 2009,
Eh, do you not think he may just be lieing to you so that he will always be lead guitarist? (it is a dickish move, but it really wouldn't surprise me to hear what with some guitarists needing to be in the spotlight so bad, they sleep in sun beds)

It's hard to think 4 years of lessons without learning the basics of chords and yet he is still good at playing lead cause he has learnt scale shapes?

Something is definetly fishy
First of all to the guy who started thread good guitar 76 Explorer. Love it secondly. Is the guy whos teaching your friend really just a monkey smoking a cigar witha guitar on his lap becasue my guitar teacher started of with these are chords. 2 weeks later, this is the blues scale, minor scale etc. Then here is Sunshine of your love. 6 months later Master of Puppets, 1 year later after that this is the delorian mode.........After that we just jammed a lot of lessons and worked on pinches n stuff. He should not be teaching if he can't be bothered going this is how you mute a string......this is the root note of the G barre chord. so it is called a G because the lower note is a G. This guy sounds like a douche I want to kill him.
Guys like that are useless in bands. I would personally keep it at just one guitar (ie. you). If you are unable to find other guitarists, and you absolutely NEED this other guitar wankerer (which you really don't), only make him play the solos in the songs and be quiet the rest of the time. Hopefully he'll realise that he's pretty useless and either quit or learn the fundamentals of playing songs on the guitar.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Give him really basic rhythm power chord progression stuff to start with, so he builds up basic ideas. Good songs for metal you can do this with include Last Man Standing (HammerFall) and The Human Stain (Kamelot)

Then just build it up from there in complexity.
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
I don't believe he can't play simple power chord riffs, no teacher would start you off on Shredding leads Immediatly eveyrone I know was taught G,A,D,C etc first.

Personally I agree with the guy who thinks he's lieing so he gets to be lead. :-/
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Crizzle

Personally I agree with the guy who thinks he's lieing so he gets to be lead. :-/

Sounds very possible, besides, he can't be much of a lead player if he can't play a ****ing chord.
What kind of guitarist can't even play power chords? Something doesn't add up.
Quote by take_it_t
What kind of guitarist can't even play power chords? Something doesn't add up.

The simple answer to this would be a Guitar Hero guitarist. It's becoming more common as people aspire to be a "lead" guitarist. They assume that rhythm and lead are exclusive to eachother when it is rarely so.

Also rather than approaching the guitar as a musical instrument, they will instead memorise patterns on the fretboard, much like the game.
Soundcloud
Quote by loz4
First of all to the guy who started thread good guitar 76 Explorer. Love it secondly. Is the guy whos teaching your friend really just a monkey smoking a cigar witha guitar on his lap becasue my guitar teacher started of with these are chords. 2 weeks later, this is the blues scale, minor scale etc. Then here is Sunshine of your love. 6 months later Master of Puppets, 1 year later after that this is the delorian mode.........After that we just jammed a lot of lessons and worked on pinches n stuff. He should not be teaching if he can't be bothered going this is how you mute a string......this is the root note of the G barre chord. so it is called a G because the lower note is a G. This guy sounds like a douche I want to kill him.

.....lol
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by loz4
1 year later after that this is the delorian mode

Hey I just saw that!

Just don't play it over 88 bpm.
Soundcloud