So I'm looking into buying a Vox AC30CC2 head and I'll need a cabinet to go with it, obviously. The problem with the 2x12 that Vox cells to match it is that it's 900 dollars. (Their 4x12 is HALF that ffs. I mean, not the same quality speakers, but still.) 900 + 900 for both means I'm effectively paying 60% more than a combo for the head and cabinet, which seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Should I look for a good deal on a used cabinet, or are there other cabinets that will match the AC30 well? (I don't want to sacrifice quality AT ALL. I'll save up if it's really necessary). Maybe one of these boutique shops that makes amp clones and such?

I'm really clueless when it comes to cabinets, so any info helps.
Last edited by glemnar at Dec 12, 2009,
you don not have to use the cabs made by the manufacturer of your head, avatar cabs are supposed to be very good and should give you the sound you are after, if they're too much you could have a look at marshall or orange. all you have do is to get the ohm rating of you cab to match with your head, generally heads have 3 outputs 4ohm for a 1x12 cab, 8ohm for 2x12 cab and 16ohm for a 4x12.
check out some avatar cabs, they are amazing. Also look at orange cabs they sound great but are alittle pricey.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Would cabs really change the sound at all? I mean, slight nuances would exist I'm sure, but celestion blues will always sound like celestion blues, right?
different speakers will, and i guess open or closed backs play a part in it...
Gear
Fender MIM strat
Epiphone G-400 in white (yeah i know, fuck you i like it)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff
Danelectro Cool Cat Distortion
EHX Nano Small Stone
Boss DD-3 Delay
Vox V847-A Wah
Radial London Bones
Cab construction is a huge factor determining overall sound. Speakers aren't really the most important thing in a cab.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
So what should I be looking for in to really bring out the ac30s sound? Examples help. =)
You can buy an empty Avatar cab and put in Celestion Blues. Or if you live in Europe, you can get a Framus Cab.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Avatar looks like they have very good deals. Thanks a lot guys. = )
Now I'll have the amp of my dreams, heh.

Am I going to be looking for a closed or open back? What will the differences be?
Last edited by glemnar at Dec 12, 2009,
Quote by glemnar
Avatar looks like they have very good deals. Thanks a lot guys. = )
Now I'll have the amp of my dreams, heh.

Am I going to be looking for a closed or open back? What will the differences be?

look for open back. it suits the vox so much better. the tone of a vox amp is very much a "vowel" kind of tone if you know what i mean by that. and the tight focused nature of a closed back just doesn't suit it. you'll want the open airiness of the open back
Well, I just discovered something. Apparently they sell a 2x12 for the cc2 with ghs12-30 speakers two, they just didn't have them available at the shop I was at, haha, in case anyone ever wants to know. And those are much more reasonably priced. Now it all makes sense.

Thanks still for all the help guys. =)
Are you sure those are the speakers in that cab? I thought the CC cabs all had either the blues or the wharfedales, which are ok speakers, but if you're willing to spend a little more an avatar with some Webers in it is a big improvement.
Well, I kind of want a matching cab, I'm pretty big on aesthetics. I'll certainly upgrade to the more expensive celestions eventually, but I'm just not ready, nor do I have the need, at the moment. I'm just starting to get into a sort of band situation, and I'm getting what I'll need to start.
And yeah, that's what vox says is in them http://www.voxamps.com/us/customclassic/ac30cc/.