Hello everyone,

I am just wondering what the best or correct hand/finger position for speed picking is. I see a lot of guitarist using their ring finger as a kind of 'post' while picking fast.

I have a pic of myself to illustrate below.

What do you guys suggest???
Attachments:
IMG000055.jpg
its all about preference. I personally use my palm to anchor all the time
Anchoring is bad, there is a sticky about it I think. I SOMETIME use it, for exemple; yesterday, my band and I were recording a track and I needed to play a part that I hadn't praticed ( confusion between me and the other guitarist ), so I anchored for the tremolo picking part.

Now this sound like I can play better while anchoring, well , for tremolo picking it's true, I didn't pratice it enough without anchoring to be competant with it.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Have a look at the sticky on anchoring. It explains it really well.
Anchoring can restrict movement for your picking hand, for example.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by Brendan1
its all about preference. I personally use my palm to anchor all the time

Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
whatever is comfortable. I usually use my pinky but occaisionally use my palm

No. It's not all about preference, and it's not whatever is comfortable. No one's hand looks like that while at rest, so why should it look like that while playing? It's clearly not "what is comfortable" or else his hand would look like that while it's relaxed hanging at his side. Anchoring creates an unnecessary pivot point, restricts your movement, causes unnecessary tension, simply has no benefits. I don't mean to sound like an ass, I just feel like being rather blunt right now as most of the posters of this forum give out horribad advice.

Also, note: There are good players out there who do anchor (to an extent), and he's probably not going to kill himself doing so. But when people here ask questions it's generally assumed that they are asking with an open mind and want THE most ideal technique. And regardless of how John Petrucci or your guitar teacher play, anchoring is not ideal.
There's no such thing as "speed picking" - you shouldn't be doing anything different with your hand regardless of the speed you're playing at, the motion should always be the same.

Anchoring is bad for you - that's a fact. Sure some people do it, but lots of people smoke too...doesn't mean it's good for you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Techofthegods
Hello everyone,

I am just wondering what the best or correct hand/finger position for speed picking is. I see a lot of guitarist using their ring finger as a kind of 'post' while picking fast.

I have a pic of myself to illustrate below.

What do you guys suggest???

That doesn't look loose or like it'd be comfortable after any length of time picking quickly for you. It's worth mentioning that 'speed picking' is relative to the player. If you tense up when you play faster then you should practice staying relaxed faster.
It is pretty ok if you anchor loosely so that your finger or wrist just touches something without fully resting on it. Just try not to. You might not think its worth it when you find out in a years time you've been tensing up and can't play because of the pain in your wrist.
Last edited by ApeWeevil at Dec 12, 2009,