Just got this program and i'm confused
(thread for pplz who have used this program)
I dont really know in what order i should do the drills.
I mean they are seperated into 6 categories, and the categories have several drills..
I mean, should i do like 1.1, then 2.1, then 3.1
or should i go 1.1, then 1.2, 1.3 etc..

Also i am confused with the difficulty...
I mean when i start doing for example drill 3.1...and my profile says that its' "impossible" for me to play it from 160, then why am i allready having trouble playing it in 120
it does say fine tune it, but sheesh, is the difference really that big?

Thanks for all who help.... :=)
Quote by tenfold
I have this program but have hardly used it.
By the looks of the program you should probably do the first exercise in each category.

thanks

wht about the difficulty problem?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Just move it to a tempo you're comfortable with, it does seem to over estimate what you can play. Don't get discouraged! You seemed determined to stick with it, which is brilliant. So start slow, very gradually increase your tempo, and the rewards will start to show.

Most of the time when attempting exercises that are virtually impossible at first, I like the start at half the original tempo, then move the metronome back as far as need be.

hmm...does that program rly work?
so the difference doesnt matter...i mean the difference between what my profile says and what i think when i do a drill in that category -.-

Btw
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/correct_practice/how_to_increase_speed_using_your_practice_time_and_a_metronome.html

i saw this lesson
It made me go "WOW!"
is it really that promising?

i mean
from 78 to 120 in one day seems kinda unlikely dont u think
Last edited by Ibarshall_X at Dec 12, 2009,
is that speed curve that program talks about really that effective?

which is more effective tho the speed trainer or the lesson?
Last edited by Ibarshall_X at Dec 12, 2009,
Quote by tenfold
Neither. They both use the same method.

i dont really get how that lesson works
i mean...
what tempo should i start it at?
how long should i play it before i raise by 1bpm? till im comfortable with it, or just 1 minute
ok lets say one day i go from 85 bpm to 115 bpm
the next day should i do like 110bpm to 130bpm?
etc etc...
to a point where i do 170 to 190 ?

i dont get it
Last edited by Ibarshall_X at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by Ibarshall_X

Also i am confused with the difficulty...
I mean when i start doing for example drill 3.1...and my profile says that its' "impossible" for me to play it from 160, then why am i allready having trouble playing it in 120
it does say fine tune it, but sheesh, is the difference really that big?

´
anyone?
Basically the whole thing's a bit of a con - they call it a "speed trainer" to get you all excited because you think it's going to make you faster (because that's obviously the most important thing in guitar playing).

However, all it's going to do is give you some exercises and tell you to practice them slowly with a metronome and speed up by a little bit when you're ready - which is exactly the same advice anyone on this board will give you. So don't expect miracles, there's nothing magic about it. You still need to be patient, 120 is way to fast to be starting these exercises, you need to drop down to something like 40 to start with. You play at that tempo uintil your playing that exercise consistently without mistakes - that may take half an hour, it may take a week, it may take months. Once you've ironed out the mistakes then you can move up by 1 or 2 bpm and rinse and repeat.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 13, 2009,
but if i keep raising the tempo 1bpm, doesnt that mean one day i will only be practicing fast? i dont its good if i would only practice at the speed which is hardest for me...

Like i asked, would it be best if id raise 20 bpm a day, next day go back 10 bpm and raise another 20 bpm?

Example
start at 85 bpm
go up to 105 bpm
next day:
start at 95 bpm
go up to 115 bpm
next day:
start at 105 bpm
Some day:
start from 170 bpm
go up to 190 bpm
etc etc...

I mean would this be an effective way if practice?
Also...when i do this 1bpm raising stuff, should i only be doing 1 excercise or many different excercises, cuz as i understand, this way it could take me years to get up to tempo with 1 excercise...and all the other excercises would still be at beginners level
About the Guitar Speed trainer, i've heard people say good thing about that program...
It doesnt really work with the 1bpm method
its more like u start from a tempo that is comfortable with you, raise 5 bpm till you're at a tempo where it is most hardest for you, then you come back down to a tempo which is challenging, but u still can play it and then stay at that tempo.....
The big problem with the 1bpm approach is time. Even if you can play a certain lick at 150 bpm (or more), you still want to start it on any given day at about 60 to keep re-inforcing the good technique. So, obviously if you apply the 1bpm thing that's 90 minutes - too long to spend on one lick for many reasons.
So I'll start slow around 60 bpm, and stay at that tempo til I'm completely loose. Then go up in 10 bpm increments with about a minute spent at each tempo. When it starts getting faster, I'll go up in smaller increments, and stop when I get to a tempo where it starts getting sloppy or I get tense or both.
Quote by tenfold
Start it at a comfortable speed, and increase it by like 4 bpm or so. To find your comfortable speed, just start it around 100 and if it's too fast, bump it down until it's comfortable - tada.

and what next?
Quote by Freepower
^ that's far too quick imho, unless the exercise is quite long. I'd do as Seagull recommends.

could you give me an example of the best way i could do my picking?

is it enough when i do just 1 excercise? or do i have to do alot of different excercises?
could you give me an example of the best way i could do my picking?

Relax, hold finger between side of index and pad of thumb, work on making small, precise movements and sounding out loud and clear.

I'd a few different exercises each week, and maybe a longer study for every couple of weeks.
Quote by Freepower
Relax, hold finger between side of index and pad of thumb, work on making small, precise movements and sounding out loud and clear.

I'd a few different exercises each week, and maybe a longer study for every couple of weeks.

what abou the tempo?`
how should i start? where should i go? and stuff...
sorry if im being a little pushy this all seems very complicated for me
Quote by Ibarshall_X
what abou the tempo?`
how should i start? where should i go? and stuff...
sorry if im being a little pushy this all seems very complicated for me

I think you need to practice more, type less. Start at 60bpm. There's actually a thing in the program to help you gauge where you're at.
Quote by tenfold
I think you need to practice more, type less. Start at 60bpm. There's actually a thing in the program to help you gauge where you're at.

ok
Last edited by Ibarshall_X at Dec 14, 2009,
120 is way to fast to be starting these exercises, you need to drop down to something like 40 to start with. You play at that tempo uintil your playing that exercise consistently without mistakes - that may take half an hour, it may take a week, it may take months. Once you've ironed out the mistakes then you can move up by 1 or 2 bpm and rinse and repeat.

That.
Ye but what if i get to higher tempos??!

Tempos like 170...
when i get there does it really mean i wouldnt have to practice slow anymore??
i would only be practicing 170 +
Yes, because you can already play whatever it is at the slower tempos by that point.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Yes, because you can already play whatever it is at the slower tempos by that point.

wow

ok thanks
ill just start at about 40bpm...
and then raise it time after time
and do it with multiple excercieses
Sorry to bump this thread but they haven't really told you how to use it the right way.

At the top of the toolbar there will be an icon called "Profile" go to that complete all the exercises and answering the questions and then go look at your "Drills" menu, everything will be all filled out

p.s. I have a problem saving my profile because I "borrowed" a copy how do I make it save?
No means maybe
Quote by Ibarshall_X
i dunno...delete the copy version, download it via torrent from somewhere xD
www.thepiratebay.com =) that is how i got it

Dont be a jackass. Buy the program. Its not like its that expensive.
I bought this a couple years ago, it taught me a lot on how to speed up my playing. Its worth the money. http://www.guitarspeed.com/
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
whoa!
i just read the 21 day challenge thread.

About it
Are the effects really that good?
If i would practice my picking like that...taking 20 bpm off my max speed and practicing at that tempo for 21 days, how great can the improvements be?

As i get... the first days of it is building speed, and the rest for accuaracy? am i correct?

I read Casualties oppinions, he says i should add speed bursts every 20 minutes for 5 minutes
would that also help?
just trying to figure out the most efficient way to do it
ive been doing my picking for like a year and ill it has given me was 20 bpm improvement, injuries and then back down 20 bpm
i just read the 21 day challenge thread.

About it
Are the effects really that good?
If i would practice my picking like that...taking 20 bpm off my max speed and practicing at that tempo for 21 days, how great can the improvements be?

As i get... the first days of it is building speed, and the rest for accuaracy? am i correct?

I read Casualties oppinions, he says i should add speed bursts every 20 minutes for 5 minutes
would that also help?

Without being a prick about it, if you read the thread... well, that's kind of what it's about.

And encouraging illegal filesharing here is a .
Quote by Ibarshall_X
ye sorry about that

Almost everything you have asked iin this thread is already answered in the Guitar speed trainer program itself. If you took a minute to read it properly and follow the manual through step by step, you would know everything you need to know about how to use it properly and more.

Quote by steven seagull
Basically the whole thing's a bit of a con - they call it a "speed trainer" to get you all excited because you think it's going to make you faster. However, all it's going to do is give you some exercises and tell you to practice them

I disagree somewhat.

The purpose of this program seems not to merely make you increase speed, but to help make sure you are maximizing your practice time to get the absolute most effective and efficient high quality practice possible, customised to your own personal level.

It's the first easy to use program i've found that produces charts and data based on your playing, so you have an immediately clear and very accurate insight into where your weaknesses lie over a whole span of things, and an easy to print and follow record, which is great especially if you are lazy like me.

Perhaps the coolest feature and biggest help thus far with this program is its chart producing "speed profiles", which helps with visualising what you need todo and where you are at, and shows you that when you think you are actually playing good, you are playing crap.You dont get this kind of clear realisation using a metronome unless you have very good ears and specific understanding of what todo to improove, and this does not come naturally to all people.

Topped with the cool features like solo construction and a metronome with the flexibilty of a drum machine, it seems like this, if anything, will be a great tool in my improovement, and i will be commenting back here later on my full findings.
Last edited by Jonashred at Jan 9, 2010,